Best bang for the buck Fiio amp
Oct 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Stix

New Head-Fier
Currently have an iPod nano 4th gen and a pair of quad customs - originally UE TF10s reshelled with added driver by UM.

Never owned an amp but want to get one.

Between the E1, E3, E5, E6, E7 and E11, what is the best bang for the buck?

And anything else that beats the winner?

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 14
E11 IMO. For similar money the JDS Labs cMOY V2.03 is a better sounding amp - cleaner, smoother and more musical (a bit lighter in the bass - with Bass Boost off).

Oct 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Currently have an iPod nano 4th gen and a pair of quad customs - originally UE TF10s reshelled with added driver by UM.

Never owned an amp but want to get one.

Between the E1, E3, E5, E6, E7 and E11, what is the best bang for the buck?

And anything else that beats the winner?

You've missed one, the E9 and that, for its power performance alone is the best bang for buck amp, even though it is not portable. Add to that a close to neutral sound signature and the ability to combine it with any manner of DACs and the sub $120 price tag looks very tempting. My second choice is the E5 - so cheap yet it will allow you to drive your high impedance cans from a DAP with ease. It is rechargeable via laptop/PC, has bass boost (if you want it) and a volume control and all for about $18 on ebay. I haven't heard the E6 but why should an upgraded E5 costing 60% more beat that?

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
You've missed one, the E9 and that, for its power performance alone is the best bang for buck amp, even though it is not portable. Add to that a close to neutral sound signature and the ability to combine it with any manner of DACs and the sub $120 price tag looks very tempting. My second choice is the E5 - so cheap yet it will allow you to drive your high impedance cans from a DAP with ease. It is rechargeable via laptop/PC, has bass boost (if you want it) and a volume control and all for about $18 on ebay. I haven't heard the E6 but why should an upgraded E5 costing 60% more beat that?

Thanks mate - forgot to mention that I'm after a portable amp so E9 is out.  

Looks like E5 is a goer.  Didn't really want to spend over $50 anyway.

Cheers

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 14
Oh, should I get a iPod interconnect as well like a Fiio L1?

Anyone know anywhere in Australia that sell the Fiio L1 and E5 for a good price?  I looked on ebay but they're probably all fake.

Oct 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Oh, should I get a iPod interconnect as well like a Fiio L1?

Anyone know anywhere in Australia that sell the Fiio L1 and E5 for a good price?  I looked on ebay but they're probably all fake.

What you should get are the L3 and E6.

Oct 17, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
Will the L3 really make a difference over the L1?

L3 will provide more secure fitting since it has a locking mechanism. L1 is still fine if you want your rig to be as small as possible or if you already use a tight case.

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #9 of 14
Had an L3, now have an L9. The L9 has the right angle plug so the "loop" between the player and the amp is effectively removed. Way better IMHO. L9 FTW.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #10 of 14
Uh as for where you can buy these, the Hong Kong based company DealExtreme has the E6 for $23.70 USD (thanks, ClieOS, for your great reviews!). I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for them, but... they usually have pretty cheap stuff (actually decent quality for some items), and free world-wide shipping which can be slow (up to a month).

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/fiio

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 14
The one consistent thing I'm hearing is that the e6 has a cleaner sound from the amp than the e7, but is the e7 worth the extra cash over the e6 for the DAC? I'm using a laptop, so my only option is headphone out rather than a line-out. On the one hand, I've read that it doesn't make too much of a difference, but others have said that the e6 may just amplify the crap from the sources of interference surrounding the onboard dac.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #12 of 14
Actually DX carries almost every FiiO (including those that has been mentioned here). I am a regular there as well
tongue.gif
. They have good price but slow shipping. Don't buy there if you are in a hurry.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
The one consistent thing I'm hearing is that the e6 has a cleaner sound from the amp than the e7, but is the e7 worth the extra cash over the e6 for the DAC? I'm using a laptop, so my only option is headphone out rather than a line-out. On the one hand, I've read that it doesn't make too much of a difference, but others have said that the e6 may just amplify the crap from the sources of interference surrounding the onboard dac.

If you don't need portability, get the E10 instead.

Oct 19, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #14 of 14
That sounds ideal. Right now I'm split between waiting for the e10 to ship or just getting a d5/e6 combo ($30 cheaper). I am mostly stationary, but having the option of portability on the amp side, where dac doesn't matter as much, sounds like a nice compromise.

Scratch that-- just saw that micca has it in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back