Best bang for Buck MP3 player?
Jul 12, 2005 at 11:28 PM Post #46 of 69
Well, compressing your music is a bit of a trade-off. The reason that we're all suggesting 128kbps is best for your iPod Shuffle is because that way, you can fit the most music on it. If you rip your music to Lossless, you'll fill up the memory in a couple albums, max. At 128kbps, you can get a lot more songs on there. In a gym setting, I'd be willing to bet that ambient noise will make the difference between 128kbps AAC and Apple Lossless inaudible.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:39 PM Post #47 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by doug zdanivsky
Thanks, Zack!

What's the difference between AAC and Apple-lossless?

And why is bit-rate important? If higher is better, why is blessingx suggesting that 128 is best for the shuffle?

Lossless is an exact copy of the information on a CD. Although half the file size there has been no "loss" of information so sound quality should be exactly the same as an original CD.

AAC (like MP3) is a compressed file where information considered unessessary has been taken out in order to produce smaller file sizes that the portable players can use easier.

If you use lossless files on a portable like an iPod they will work but take up a lot more space. You won't have room for many songs. Also smaller flash based players like the Shuffle won't cope. Also Lossless files drain the battery really quickly.

Therefore the trick is to find the best compromise between acceptable sound quality and file size.

AAC 224 seems to be the FOTM but there are loads of different codecs and bitrats that claim the oft spoken "sweet spot" (LAME Ogg etc.)

ZT
PS. I think Blessingx is saying that if you are using the Shuffle at the gym a lower bitrate file in a classy format like AAC is acceptable as it fills the criteria and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you had an iPod with lossless files and a portable amp through line-out it would be another story but I wouldn't want to put words in Blessingx mouth.

Jul 12, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #48 of 69
Like I say, I'm not concerned overly with having a HUGE library of songs available at any one time.. 1 1/2 hours, max..

If I am better off upping the bit-rate.. 192 would be an improvement, no?

Keep in mind I will be employing a portable Pimeta, if that makes a difference towards anything besides volume..

I see what you mean about the difference, though.. Loseless is pretty much in the wav ballpark.. 37 songs in loseless is 979mb, vs. 135mb for AAC

I'm up to step 4 in Zack's how-to.. I've converted files from a CD to Apple lossless onto my Itunes library.. But when I go to preferences to select another bit-rate (following step 5), there are no choices like 192, 320 AAC, etc..

And when I do succeed finally in selecting a new bit-rate (step 5b, say), when I select the track I want at this new bit-rate, how do I "import" it into my library again?

Thanks for all your patience and help..

Like I say, I'm a caveman with my first fire, here..

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Like I say, I'm not concerned overly with having a HUGE library of songs available at any one time.. 1 1/2 hours, max..

If I am better off upping the bit-rate.. 192 would be an improvement, no?

I'm up to step 4 in Zack's how-to.. I've converted files from a CD to Apple lossless onto my Itunes library.. But when I go to preferences to select another bit-rate (following step 5), there are no choices like 192, 320 AAC, etc..

And when I do succeed finally in selecting a new bit-rate (step 5b, say), when I select the track I want at this new bit-rate, how do I "import" it into my library again?

Thanks for all your patience and help..

Like I say, I'm a caveman with my first fire, here..

Cool, I'll be gentle with you then...

Great you have a CD's worth of lovely lossless files in your iTunes library. These are your "Master" files (an exact copy of a CD but half the file size and with names on the tracks etc.)

Here you go (I'm on a Mac but it's probably the same) I go to the top menu bar named "iTunes" then drop down to "Preferences" then a box should open up called "General" - Click on the top option called "Importing" - Under the "Import Using" drop down you'll see AAC Encoder, AIFF Encoder, MP3 Encoder etc. Choose the one you want. The second drop down is called "setting" it is here you can specify the bitrate, choose "custom" and set desired bitrate.

Now every time you import from a CD or make a new version from the lossless file you'll be using these settings. Remember to change the bitrate this way. I have forgotten how many times I've set AAC for my iPod then forgotten to change back to Lossless to import form a cd. Then I had to re-rip again.

Hope this helps.

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:08 AM Post #50 of 69
Thanks!

So, if I can't have loseless, a good compromise is to have AAC files at a high bit-rate, like 192?

You missed my edit where I say:

Quote:

I see what you mean about the difference, though.. Loseless is pretty much in the wav ballpark.. 37 songs in loseless is 979mb, vs. 135mb for AAC

Would upping it to a higher bit rate make it pretty much losseless, again?
smily_headphones1.gif

One way to find out, I guess..

I want 192, 44.1kHz (or 48 kHz?), and sterio, correct?

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #51 of 69
Quote:

Thanks!

So, if I can't have loseless, a good compromise is to have AAC files at a high bit-rate, like 192?

You missed my edit where I say:

Would upping it to a higher bit rate make it pretty much losseless, again?
smily_headphones1.gif

One way to find out, I guess..

I want 192, 44.1kHz (or 48 kHz?), and sterio, correct?

Right! if you are using a portable (especially at the gym) the general consensus is to use a high bitrate MP3 or AAC rather than lossless. I'm not an expert. Blessingx has a lot more experiance at this kind of thing than me. As he said he recommends 224 AAC - but for a Shuffle I think your 192 decision is a good one (just choose Auto rather than 44.1etc.) I don't think it matters. Like Blessingx said experiment with different bitrates if you like to see what you think is acceptable to your ears.

Some people can't tell the difference between 128 and a CD so anything bigger is wasted.

Remember! You can't up the bitrate once you've stopped down SO keep the origional Lossless file and downsample from that each time. I think if you translate between lower bitrate files the results can be quite shocking.

ZT

Jul 13, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #52 of 69
Ok, thanks, man..

I've got "master files" of all the albums in my library, now, as well as the 192 AAC's..

Now I just have to buy a shuffle..
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: those same 37 tracks (more than I'll ever be able to listen to in one gym session at 2.4 hours) in the 192 bit rate is 226mb..

Maybe I WILL go with an even higher one..

Thanks again!

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #53 of 69
Quote:

Ok, thanks, man..

I've got "master files" of all the albums in my library, now, as well as the 192 AAC's..

Now I just have to buy a shuffle..
smily_headphones1.gif

PS: those same 37 tracks (more than I'll ever be able to listen to in one gym session at 2.4 hours) in the 192 bit rate is 226mb..

Maybe I WILL go with an even higher one..

Thanks again!

My pleasure, glad we got there in the end. I'm getting a Shuffle for the gym next week and will be using AAC 224's and Shure E4c's with it. Can't wait.

ZT

Jul 13, 2005 at 1:33 AM Post #54 of 69
I think I'll get my shuffle and try it out while I wait for my E-4 Shures and Pimeta..

Looking forward to noting the level of improvement..

This is supposed to be the wife's coming home present..

Beats a bowling ball, I guess..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #56 of 69
You mean future shop?
smily_headphones1.gif

I just noticed that.. Cool..

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:02 AM Post #57 of 69
How about those sony flash mp3 players? They have that hockey puck looking one which uses one AAA battery, and lasts for around 70 hours.
And then theres the network walkman http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/ser...=n46881n100122
which has a built-in battery and lasts 80 hours, and also has a quick charge. The problem with my shuffle is that it dies sorta quick now, and has no cool looking LED screen
frown.gif
they all go for pretty much the same price, both use some sort of propriatery software to put the music in, both have their own music compressing software. I just like how the sony one looks I guess.
icon10.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:07 AM Post #58 of 69
Hmm.. Why would it be quitting on you faster than before I wonder..

How long have you had it?

You're not using rechargables with it, are you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

You mean future shop?
smily_headphones1.gif

I just noticed that.. Cool..

Best Buy bought out Future Shop. They are one and the same.

Jul 13, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #60 of 69
I know.. I'm bitter, and will forever call them Future Shop, even when they get around to changing all the signs..
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back