Best bang for buck, Klipsch Custom 3s, Panasonic HJE900, or others?
Oct 16, 2010 at 8:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sippyCUP

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been doing research on replacement earbuds for my Ipod Classic (120gb 6 gen) for the last two weeks. I am into audio but haven't ever owned any really good earbuds or IEMs. Quality midrange is the most important consideration, with a flat overall response through the lows and highs also appreciated. I won't be using an amp, and I listen to a lot of electronic and rock music - classical, jazz, etc, very scarcely. Also, most listening will be at home, flying, etc, and not exercising, except for occasional rowing machine usage. Budget is somewhat variable - I want high bang for buck, but technically I do have the $500 for Shure 530's in my bank account, but I suspect that the law of diminishing returns makes it a poor decision for me.

Going through these forums, I've seen a lot of talk about the Custom 3's rivaling the sound quality of the Shure 530's, so I'm thinking about going ahead and purchasing these on ebay for $100 shipped. However, I have read some good things about the Panny HJE900, which I can get for ~$80 on amazon, plus these have a detachable cable which essentially means I don't ever have to worry about the cable fraying or losing connection.

I pretty much don't want anything that takes a replaceable filter due to the cost of operation, so that rules out Etymotic products.

Also, how the heck do I even buy the V02 (ebay only?) and how does it stack up against the above two options?

Thanks,
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back