Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Jun 9, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #394 of 525
Best dynamic album:

Metallica - Metallica (1991)
Sounded great on the crappy low-end equipment I owned as a 16-year-old boy back in 1991 and still sounds great on all my headphones and speakers.

Best "hot" (post loudness war, low dynamic range) album :

Communic - The Bottom Deep (2011)
Very well balanced, very good production, no clipping. The song "Denial" for example has sub bass elements, the are awesome!

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #397 of 525
You can try 'Lost' by James Ferguson 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Relaxing vocals.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #398 of 525
  At this place I would like to say a huge cudos to Iced Earth:

They never went below a dynamic range of 6 min/8 average on all their studio CDs in 25 years.

Yeah buddy! Finally someone here to represent some traditional stuff! I just got the first Iced Earth album from 1990, unmastered. Holy cow. That shed guitar! Schaffer for President! Also, some Manowar albums (particularly 1992 & 1996) sound exceptional compared to any underground bands.

It's funny noone deigned to mention Pantera...especially Vulgar Display of Power.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #399 of 525

Yeah buddy! Finally someone here to represent some traditional stuff! I just got the first Iced Earth album from 1990, unmastered. Holy cow. That shed guitar! Schaffer for President! Also, some Manowar albums (particularly 1992 & 1996) sound exceptional compared to any underground bands.

It's funny noone deigned to mention Pantera...especially Vulgar Display of Power.

I absolutely second this. And if we are talking about great (sounding) albums from that time I would also like to throw in

Machine Head - Burn My Eyes
Fear Factory - Demanufacture
Grip Inc. - Power of Inner Strength

\m/

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #401 of 525
I don't really think about fidelity when thinking machine head. Guess it is the blackening at fault

Aug 12, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #404 of 525
I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread (but haven't found it yet) are Nine Inch Nails hi-rez releases

"The Slip" was released free to fans at 24/96 when it came out at the band's website.   My email code still works so it may be available for others as well.  

Some of his later albums were also released in Hi-res formats including the latest:   Hesitation Marks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back