Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Jan 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #257 of 525
I think these albums all sound great and are musically very appealing to me

Pink Floyd: Meddle,The Dark Side of the Moon, WYWH, Animals, The Wall
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear of a Blank Planet
Rage Against the Machine: Self Titled
Tool:Undertow, Aenima, Lateralus, certain tracks from 10,000 Days (Title Track,Jambi, The Pot, Rosetta Stoned)
Dream Theater: Metropolis Pt 2
Led Zeppelin: Houses of the Holy (2008 Japanese Remaster)
Rush: Moving Pictures (From Sectors boxset)
Iron Maiden: Powerslave (First Japanese pressing)
Yes: Close to the Edge (2013 Steven Wilson Remix)
Steven Wilson: The Raven That Refused To Sing
Spock's Beard: Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
Anathema: Weather Systems

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #258 of 525
Hey all,

I would put in my 2 cents however I entered this thread because I want some high quality metal, not because I have any :frowning2:

I am looking for Alice in Chains Unplugged/MTV etc.

Does anyone know where I can buy this in high res?

I can get it on play.google @ 320kbps, however I was wondering if anyone had seen it floating around elsewhere?

Scott

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #259 of 525
Hi guys, 

One addition is an Australian band The Butterfly Effect, I feel their 3 albums are fantastic, some stand outs are Worlds on Fire from the album Final Conversation of Kings (intro is absolutely brilliant), Beautiful Mine from Begins Here, and This Year from Imago. They are just returning to the scene now after their original singer left and is now singing in a band A Thousand Needles In Red. 

Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment from the albums, they have been favourites on my system (SGR Audio CX4F 650W active speakers, Paradigm Sub1, Emotiva XSP-1, Calyx 24/192, Clearaudio Emotion) for years.

Also I'm sure some people out there have experience Karnivool, their album Themata (track = L1fel1ke) is another favourite, but I wish it was mastered slightly better.

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #260 of 525
Hi guys, 

One addition is an Australian band The Butterfly Effect, I feel their 3 albums are fantastic, some stand outs are Worlds on Fire from the album Final Conversation of Kings (intro is absolutely brilliant), Beautiful Mine from Begins Here, and This Year from Imago. They are just returning to the scene now after their original singer left and is now singing in a band A Thousand Needles In Red. 

Hopefully someone gets some enjoyment from the albums, they have been favourites on my system (SGR Audio CX4F 650W active speakers, Paradigm Sub1, Emotiva XSP-1, Calyx 24/192, Clearaudio Emotion) for years.

Also I'm sure some people out there have experience Karnivool, their album Themata (track = L1fel1ke) is another favourite, but I wish it was mastered slightly better.

Seen both bands live quite a few times, particularly butterfly effect.
Great tunes. Though it has been a good while since I listened to them.
Time for a trip down memory lane I think. :)

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #261 of 525
Seen both bands live quite a few times, particularly butterfly effect.
Great tunes. Though it has been a good while since I listened to them.
Time for a trip down memory lane I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

I only got to see BE once but seen Karnivool multiple times! Trying to catch BE on their new gigs though. Seeing you're in Melb though explains it!

Jan 9, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #262 of 525

I only got to see BE once but seen Karnivool multiple times! Trying to catch BE on their new gigs though. Seeing you're in Melb though explains it!

Yeah,

They come out to my Home town Ballarat when I was about 19 or 20 I think, saw them and the SUCKED.

Gave them another shot in Geelong a few years later and they smashed it, then back at home again and they rocked it.
Then a couple times in Melbourne as well.

Jan 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #263 of 525
  Hey all,

I would put in my 2 cents however I entered this thread because I want some high quality metal, not because I have any :frowning2:

I am looking for Alice in Chains Unplugged/MTV etc.

Does anyone know where I can buy this in high res?

I can get it on play.google @ 320kbps, however I was wondering if anyone had seen it floating around elsewhere?

Scott

Hi Scott,

These are most of the releases. http://www.discogs.com/Alice-In-Chains-MTV-Unplugged/master/21706

Personally I have the CD and the 2010 reissue on red vinyl. You should at least get the CD if you want a higher res.

If you haven't been to discogs before... sorry about your wallet 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #264 of 525

Hi Scott,

These are most of the releases. http://www.discogs.com/Alice-In-Chains-MTV-Unplugged/master/21706

Personally I have the CD and the 2010 reissue on red vinyl. You should at least get the CD if you want a higher res.

If you haven't been to discogs before... sorry about your wallet 
evil_smiley.gif

I am having mixed feelings regarding you at this point in time!!
:p

No in serious, DAMN YOU.. and thank you so much :)

Scott

Jan 13, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #267 of 525
  Queens of the Stone Age - Like Clockwork

I think it's their best recorded album yet.

Dunno how much that says about their sound quality, considering the albums they made that suffered from the Loudness Wars.

Point taken. ...Like Clockwork does have solid recording, with the 1644 Vinyl version being my favorite. The end of My God is the Sun leading into Kalopsia is quite good.   

Jan 13, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #268 of 525
I'm quite happy to see some of my favorite bands on her, namely Judas Priest. Well, here's my input on some

Albums

Thaurorod - Anteinferno             While this album is recorded spectacularly in my opinion, their first album was horrendous, I can't even listen on quality headphones. Kind
                                             of ironic.
Battle Beast - Battle Beast         Their second album, and it reached the top charts for finish metal I believe, my favorite song is Let It Roar, while I think Heart of Danger
                                             has to take second place.
Nightwish - Wishmaster             I wish it was a little more separated, but its still awesome
Equilibrium - Sagas                   A bit hardcore, but great separation and detail allow this album to make the top picks
Equilibrium - Rekreatur              THE album to hear, for sure. The acoustic tracks are what I think makes the album. I personally haven't listened much to the others, but 
                                            the acoustic renders of their hits I think are some of the most exciting, fluid pieces of all time honestly. Heimwarts is my favorite on the
                                            album, by far.
Black Crowes - Greatest Hits     This album isn't as metal-ish, but is amazingly recorded. My best friend's dad is actually Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes, kinda cool lol

Jan 14, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #269 of 525
I'm quite happy to see some of my favorite bands on her, namely Judas Priest. Well, here's my input on some

Albums

Thaurorod - Anteinferno             While this album is recorded spectacularly in my opinion, their first album was horrendous, I can't even listen on quality headphones. Kind
                                             of ironic.
Battle Beast - Battle Beast         Their second album, and it reached the top charts for finish metal I believe, my favorite song is Let It Roar, while I think Heart of Danger
                                             has to take second place.
Nightwish - Wishmaster             I wish it was a little more separated, but its still awesome
Equilibrium - Sagas                   A bit hardcore, but great separation and detail allow this album to make the top picks
Equilibrium - Rekreatur              THE album to hear, for sure. The acoustic tracks are what I think makes the album. I personally haven't listened much to the others, but 
                                            the acoustic renders of their hits I think are some of the most exciting, fluid pieces of all time honestly. Heimwarts is my favorite on the
                                            album, by far.
Black Crowes - Greatest Hits     This album isn't as metal-ish, but is amazingly recorded. My best friend's dad is actually Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes, kinda cool lol

Sagas is one of my favorites and mana is probably my favorite off that album. Whenever I listen to mana I feel a bit under whelmed by the sound quality.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #270 of 525
Amorphis - skyforger, my favourite album of all time. While I prefer Insomnium because all there albums are amazing, that one amorphis album is just special. Seriously give it a listen, ever song on it is immense.

Tool's best ofcourse will always be mentioned - Lateralus
Dark tranquility's best - projector/Fiction
Be'lakor - of breath and bone

Also something that is a bit out there, and not as well known. Haggard, they have like 40 in there "band" orchestra included they combine melodic metal with classical music and they are just amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iTlu3STCdI

Users who are viewing this thread

Back