Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Dec 17, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #242 of 525
I find Tool - Lateralus and Aenima to have a very good sound, Opeth as well. My problem is that the bands I really enjoy for the music itself, don't have a good sound quality :D I also like how Poets of the Fall sound in general. Pink Floyd are very good as well, especially if you consider the year when the albums were recorded, the quality is very good (for instance the dark side of the moon is from 1973). And finally I think I could go with Metallica's Black Album despite my overall disappointment from the quality of their records... i mean, they could afford better...

Dec 18, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #243 of 525
I find Tool - Lateralus and Aenima to have a very good sound, Opeth as well. My problem is that the bands I really enjoy for the music itself, don't have a good sound quality :D I also like how Poets of the Fall sound in general. Pink Floyd are very good as well, especially if you consider the year when the albums were recorded, the quality is very good (for instance the dark side of the moon is from 1973). And finally I think I could go with Metallica's Black Album despite my overall disappointment from the quality of their records... i mean, they could afford better...

Deicide's latest is quite excellent in overall tonality. In the Minds of Evil.

If you like something a little more harmonic and less technical, almost any of Draconian's albums of the past few years are positively majestic.

Personally I'm particularly enjoying Deathspell Omega's Paracletus. Enslaved's RIITIR also.

So much good metal out this past year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #245 of 525
Rammstein - Herzeleid (A little Bright but very detailed)
Rammstein - Mutter (Warm and has a lot of ambiance to the drums and electric guitars. has depth)
Rammstein - Reise, Reise (Very Warm and has the "acoustic sound" to it)
Deftones - White Pony (Warm and laid-back feeling)
Godsmack - The Other Side (Warm-ish and detailed)
Godsmack - Godsmack (Detailed, Has a little ambiance to guitars) 
Apocalyptica - Reflections (Warm)
Apocalyptica - Apocalyptica (Neutral. No instrument over powers others)
Metallica - Load (Strong Acoustics, and semi-warm)
System of a Down - Toxicity (Very Warm and detailed)
System of a Down - Steal This Album! (Same as Toxicity)

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #246 of 525
Cynic - Focus
Cynic - Traced in Air
Soen - Cognitive
Marty Friedman - Scenes
Grateful Dead - Blues for Allah
Death - Human, Individual Thought Patterns, Symbolic, Sound of Perseverance (the remastered ones)
Hall & Oates - Abandoned Luncheonette (this album is insanely good)

Dec 31, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #249 of 525
Wintersun Time I appears to be a very well recorded album. It receives a 10 on the dynamic range chart which is better than the vast majority of my metal which resides around 5-6 on the DR scale. Cannibal Corpse the Bleeding and Metallica Black album also scored around the same.

Anyways, I have been playing around with testing the quality of recorded tracks and was wondering which programs can you test/see the clipping of tracks?

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #250 of 525
Wintersun Time I appears to be a very well recorded album. It receives a 10 on the dynamic range chart which is better than the vast majority of my metal which resides around 5-6 on the DR scale. Cannibal Corpse the Bleeding and Metallica Black album also scored around the same.

Anyways, I have been playing around with testing the quality of recorded tracks and was wondering which programs can you test/see the clipping of tracks?

Audacity has a 'show clipping' option. You can also generally get an idea how brickwalled something is with it, too.

Dec 31, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #251 of 525
along with what has already been posted...i find most Dream Theater stuff to be very well produced, with a balanced mix of the instruments, no one is overpowering
wink.gif

I agree wholeheartedly! Special props go to Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. Fantastic album that sounds divine through a good setup. As we speak I'm actually ripping their newest album to foobar and am pretty excited to give it a listen.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #252 of 525
Erra - Augment
Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals
Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache / As Daylight Dies
Unearth - Darkness In The Light
This or the Apocalypse - Dead Years
Underoath - Define The Great Line / Lost In The Sound Of Separation
Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man
The Contortionist - Exoplanet
August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore
Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us / The Difference Between Hell & Home
Misery Signals - Controller

Funeral for a Friend - Hours
Saosin - Saosin
Blink-182 - Blink-182
The Story So Far - What You Don't See / Under Soil And Dirt
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
The Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness / Siamese Dream

Jan 4, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #253 of 525
  Erra - Augment
Sylosis - Edge Of The Earth
Darkest Hour - Deliver Us
All That Remains - The Fall Of Ideals
Killswitch Engage - The End Of Heartache / As Daylight Dies
Unearth - Darkness In The Light
This or the Apocalypse - Dead Years
Underoath - Define The Great Line / Lost In The Sound Of Separation
Times Of Grace - The Hymn Of A Broken Man
The Contortionist - Exoplanet
August Burns Red - Rescue & Restore
Counterparts - The Current Will Carry Us / The Difference Between Hell & Home
Misery Signals - Controller

Funeral for a Friend - Hours
Saosin - Saosin
Blink-182 - Blink-182
The Story So Far - What You Don't See / Under Soil And Dirt
Motley Crue - Dr. Feelgood
The Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie And The Infinite Sadness / Siamese Dream

Haven't listened to saosin since 2004.. I should still have their cd buried somewhere too.

Jan 4, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #254 of 525

Haven't listened to saosin since 2004.. I should still have their cd buried somewhere too.

Ha nice. Translating the Name is still one of the best EPs around in my books. You should consider giving it a spin some time - even if it's just for the sake of nostalgia.

Means you probably haven't heard the self-titled though in that case. Different vocalist to Translating's Anthony Green, but Cove absolutely knocks it out of the park as far as I'm concerned & the melodies & guitar work are simply stellar. There's a reason it's one of my favourite albums ever. Definitely worth checking out mate.

Jan 4, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #255 of 525

Ha nice. Translating the Name is still one of the best EPs around in my books. You should consider giving it a spin some time - even if it's just for the sake of nostalgia.

Means you probably haven't heard the self-titled though in that case. Different vocalist to Translating's Anthony Green, but Cove absolutely knocks it out of the park as far as I'm concerned & the melodies & guitar work are simply stellar. There's a reason it's one of my favourite albums ever. Definitely worth checking out mate.

Will do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back