Best audiophile metal and rock albums
Mar 18, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #153 of 525
Recently I've expanded this list but I'll be talking about LPs so unfortunately for you CD guys the masters might be much worse on the CDs. :D

Mastodon's The Hunter (45rpm Cut)
Mastodon's Crack the Skye (45rpm Cut)
Mastodon's Blood Mountain (45rpm Cut)
Wolves in the Throne Room's Celestial Lineage (Southern Lord 45rpm Cut)
Kreator's Phantom Antichrist (Nuclear Blast 45rpm Cut)
Enslaved's RIITIIR (Nuclear Blast 33rpm Cut)
Dir En Grey's Dum Spiro Spero (33rpm The End Records Cut)

I could keep going on and on, but honestly as a general rule the LP cuts of quite a few Metal albums are great where as their digital releases are absolute brickwalled crap. I know some are repeats, but these are all excellent albums.

Nice mention of Rage Against the Machine's S/T. That album has always been a favorite and sounds excellent.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #154 of 525
If you like doom metal, there's (imho) no better than My Dying Bride.

MDB - Turn Loose The Swans
MDB - The Angel and the Dark River
MDB - The Dreadful Hours
MDB - Like Gods of the Sun
MDB - Songs of Darkness, Words of Light

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:00 PM Post #155 of 525
Best sounding rock/metal albums that I have listened to (in alphabetical order):

Def Leppard - Hysteria (non-remastered)
Def Leppard - Pyromania (non-remastered)
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms (Vertigo)
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (Stereo PCM from DVD)
Eagles - Hotel California (DCC or 5.1 SACD mix)
Green Day - American Idiot (24/192 HDTracks)
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (EMI, non-remastered)
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (EMI, non-remastered)
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day (BD Audio 5.1 24 bit LPCM or DTS-HD MA -> BD with audio only)
Metallica - Master Of Puppets (DCC)
Metallica - Metallica
Metallica - Ride The Lightening (DCC)
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (5.1 DTS-HD MA from Blu-ray, the 2003 5.1 SACD mix seems to be the same)
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (non-remastered)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Scorpions - Love At First Sting
Slayer - Reign In Blood (non-remastered)
Tool - AEnima
Tool - Lateralus
Van Halen - Van Halen (DCC)

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #156 of 525
Quote:
I love Trivium-Shogun.  I think it's a great album.  The recording values aren't fantastic but still a good listen. 

I agree. I think their latest "In Waves" was decent in terms of sound quality, but it should be interesting to see what the next record will be like. Rumor is that they are trying to work on something that will surpass "Shogun", which I feel is their most powerful and mature album. Another interesting thing about their upcoming release is that Disturbed's frontman is producing it. I'm not a huge Disturbed fan like I used to be, but this will still be very interesting.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #157 of 525
Quote:
I agree. I think their latest "In Waves" was decent in terms of sound quality, but it should be interesting to see what the next record will be like. Rumor is that they are trying to work on something that will surpass "Shogun", which I feel is their most powerful and mature album. Another interesting thing about their upcoming release is that Disturbed's frontman is producing it. I'm not a huge Disturbed fan like I used to be, but this will still be very interesting.

I did hear that David Draiman was producing the album, and I think that it will be a great partnership for all involved.  I'm not crazy about what I've read about how they are recording it, but there you go.  I know that Matt Heafy is all about home production but I feel like if they went into an actual studio they could make a killer album that had the production values to match. Any way you cut it it's gonnna be a great album I'm sure. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #158 of 525
Quote:

Yes! especially in regard to Shogun.

As far as a recommendation for this thread, Skyharbor. Their album was pretty well produced. The song Maeva being a standout in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #159 of 525
Russian Circles
Tool
Isis
Mastodon
A Perfect Circle
Diablo Swing Orchestra
Baroness
If These Trees Could Talk
Porcupine Tree
Anathema

Virtually all their albums sound pretty good.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #161 of 525
I have to re-iterate Porcupine Tree (any Steven Wilson output actually), Opeth etc...and since so much prog has been mentioned: surprised that no-one's mentioned Marillion??

Apr 19, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #162 of 525
Quote:
I have to re-iterate Porcupine Tree (any Steven Wilson output actually), Opeth etc...and since so much prog has been mentioned: surprised that no-one's mentioned Marillion??

Man, I've tried super hard to get into the Porcupine Tree thing but just can't seem to do it.  Maybe I just haven't listened to the right album.  Any suggestions on that front? 

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #163 of 525
Quote:
Man, I've tried super hard to get into the Porcupine Tree thing but just can't seem to do it.  Maybe I just haven't listened to the right album.  Any suggestions on that front? 

I'd maybe try "In Absentia", "Deadwing" or "The Incident". It took me a little while to really "get" them, until I watched the "Arriving Somewhere..." live DVD and everything clicked!

Apr 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #164 of 525
Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
Eluveitie - Helvetios
Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent
Lamb Of God - Resolution
Myrath - Tales Of The Sands
Scar Symmetry -  Holographic Universe
Shokran
Tarja - Act I
Wintersun - Time I
Within Temptation - The Silent Force

Apr 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #165 of 525