BEST Audiophile imac rig - ideas please?
Jun 18, 2008 at 7:02 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's been so much discussion of the Apogee Duet, why not it and you amp/phone choice?

I was just about to say why hasnt anyone mentioned the Duet? Its really a great device. If i were a MAC guy, i would for sure consider it.

Jun 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #18 of 26
Great thread. Giving me many ideas about how to spend money I don't have. I think I am going to pick up a pair of AudioEngine A5s first and then add a DAC down the road. Even the A5s by themselves should sound much better than what I'm using now.

Jun 29, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #19 of 26
I have the Apogee Duet breakaway line out running directly into some Audiengine A5s, and I couldn't be happier.

The headphone-out stage of the Duet is great, too.

Simple, relatively inexpensive set up; pro/audiophile results. Can't go wrong. Apogee is a great company.

Plus, serious austerity points, amirite?

Jul 18, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus, serious austerity points, amirite?

Lots of great ideas here, but truly, that is a clean setup you have!

Who makes that laptop stand?

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by FZR1k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my new setup ::
IMG_3277.jpg

for DVD or Game : iMac -> TOSLINK -> iBasso D1 -> Headphile BlackSilver Mini to RCA cable -> audioengine 2 -> Monster Cable Z2 Reference
When I watch movies at night, I need to use headphones. D1 have a headphone jack. It's a headphone amp w/DAC, of course.

for iTunes : iMac -> USB cable -> SUPER Pro DAC707-USB -> TARA-Labs Prism 3 RCA cables -> WooAudio 6 -> Grado SR-225 Headphile Zebrawood Mod with BlackMax cable

Now that is an awesome set-up!

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #23 of 26
Apogee Duet FTW!!!

Instant WOW factor...

Jul 18, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the OP, see my sig for my current set-up. I'm liking the ZERO DAC and LittleDot MKV combo, using the optical digital out from my MacBook Pro.

What does the little dot add to the zero dac?

Or are you using it to drive speakers. I'm looking at the zero dac to support my infrequent laptop use at home.

I'd bring it in to work, except i like having diy boxes that look like they could electrocute thieves. People tend to leave my desk alone then.

Jul 18, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #25 of 26
For desktop systems, I'm a fan of computer --> dac --> tube headamp/preamp --> active monitors. You can see what I'm running now in my sig and I think it'd be hard to do too much better for the same money.

That said, I'm itching to go fully balanced and I think the next level (while remaining somewhat in the realms of fiscal sanity) would be something like: iMac --> Apogee Mini-Dac --> Little Dot Mk VI --> balanced headphones of choice --> Adam A7/Dynaudio BM5/Mackie 624.

Jul 19, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_eleven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of great ideas here, but truly, that is a clean setup you have!

Who makes that laptop stand?

Thanks! The stand is a Logitech Alto Connect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back