BEST Audiophile imac rig - ideas please?
May 24, 2008 at 5:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Fickle-Friend

500+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

Woah its been a while. I've been away from the scene for a few years. I'm going to be buying a shiny new imac 24" and want to nail a stunning audiophile rig for my desktop.

I would like recommendations for the best kit options thanks (with money being a secondary consideration).

Hoping to get back into the swing of things yet again...Woohoo!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 26
Perhaps something like my rig, with an iMac as transport (while I use a MacBook Pro).
MacBoo Pro -> Electrocompaniet ECD1 -> Stax SRM-007t -> Stax SR-007

The iMac should make just as good a transport as the MacBook Pro, and I love mine.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 26
Here's my new setup ::
IMG_3277.jpg

for DVD or Game : iMac -> TOSLINK -> iBasso D1 -> Headphile BlackSilver Mini to RCA cable -> audioengine 2 -> Monster Cable Z2 Reference
When I watch movies at night, I need to use headphones. D1 have a headphone jack. It's a headphone amp w/DAC, of course.

for iTunes : iMac -> USB cable -> SUPER Pro DAC707-USB -> TARA-Labs Prism 3 RCA cables -> WooAudio 6 -> Grado SR-225 Headphile Zebrawood Mod with BlackMax cable

May 25, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You like those Audio Engine A2?

They are fit well on my desktop.But the power/volume knob is on back of the left speaker. It's a bit awkward to reach around the back to adjust the volume.

May 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they connected to the mini analog out of the iMac?

And do you think the Apple and Audio Engine house sounds are synergistic?

They connected from optical digital audio output to a digital-to-analog converter(iBasso D1).
IMG_3303.jpg

I'd like a little more bass response when I start getting into jazz.

May 25, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 26
Very nice. That's the table I've been thinking of getting for a while too. Where are you from FZR1k if you don't mind me asking? Also, what software is that clock? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

For the OP, see my sig for my current set-up. I'm liking the ZERO DAC and LittleDot MKV combo, using the optical digital out from my MacBook Pro.

May 25, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice. That's the table I've been thinking of getting for a while too. Where are you from FZR1k if you don't mind me asking? Also, what software is that clock? I've been looking for something like that for ages.

For the OP, see my sig for my current set-up. I'm liking the ZERO DAC and LittleDot MKV combo, using the optical digital out from my MacBook Pro.

SIGMA GLS-120PT

FLIQLO

I have been using the SUPER DAC707-USB for about half a month now.
and I'm quite happy with it.
IMG_3304.jpg

May 25, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 26
iMac -> USB -> Benchmark DAC-1 USB -> built-in headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701

and for speaker listening:

iMac -> USB -> Benchmark DAC-1 USB -> Parasound Zamp V3 -> B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers

May 25, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMac -> USB -> Benchmark DAC-1 USB -> built-in headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD650 or AKG K701

and for speaker listening:

iMac -> USB -> Benchmark DAC-1 USB -> Parasound Zamp V3 -> B&W CM1 bookshelf speakers

I own the CM1 but I think would recommend the Dynaudio MC 15 plugged directly into the DAC-1 and optionally with a Velodyne Minivee 10 in the corner (my picture shows a Microvee).

001yx2.jpg

The Dynaudio are a bit more money than the CM1, but are active so you don't need to buy the amp

Jun 18, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #15 of 26
There's been so much discussion of the Apogee Duet, why not it and you amp/phone choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back