Best amp to go with the Sennheiser HD800 - time to revisit this question
Sep 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM Post #76 of 95
I
Unless a gsx 3 comes out, im quite sure that the gsx mk2 is the last SS amp i will ever buy, its a world class reference and i think should be competitive at ANY price point
I am not doubting how good GSX sounds, I am just wondering how you arrive at the conclusion it is world class reference and competitive at any price point.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #77 of 95
I'm going to give the new SS NAD DAC/amp D1050 a try since I'm getting it free when they come out end of month. Been a tube guy VK55 BAT with Magnepans in home audio system and enjoy the warm holographic sound. I want to see if the SS NAD will take hold of these 800s and make them sing with authority. Will be interesting since nobody has tried it. Hope running HD tracks gives the 800's serious clarity off the DAC. Will have to get a decent tube amp - WA2 perhaps to make good comparison. I'm not a tube roller so does the new WA7 have enough current to get the 800's to sing loud with some slam on genres that call on it? Can't wait to hear it.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #78 of 95
I
I am not doubting how good GSX sounds, I am just wondering how you arrive at the conclusion it is world class reference and competitive at any price point.

Well with the hd 800 its the closest ive heard to stax sr-009 performance and is better than many expensive amps from woo, eddie current, cavalli, and almost everything else. This amp is the best ive heard, the fact that it sounds good with just about every headphone and has multiple inputs and outputs as well as up to 8 watts of power make it even a better amp. Its by far the most transparent amp ive heard, tube or ss included. And its neutral without being analytical, thats very hard to do, even harder to get that sound out of an SS amp. If this isnt world class i dont know what is.

Sep 18, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #79 of 95
Unless a gsx 3 comes out, im quite sure that the gsx mk2 is the last SS amp i will ever buy, its a world class reference and i think should be competitive at ANY price point

A GSX 3 that would be worth saving for. What is your favorite pairing for the GSX? HD800?

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #80 of 95

hopefully if/when the gsx mk3 comes out, we'll be able to just upgrade the 4 modules in the mk2 like you could with the original gsx and dont have to buy a brand new amp :p after all that is the whole point of the modular design, is future-proofing with upgrades

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #81 of 95
Well with the hd 800 its the closest ive heard to stax sr-009 performance and is better than many expensive amps from woo, eddie current, cavalli, and almost everything else. This amp is the best ive heard, the fact that it sounds good with just about every headphone and has multiple inputs and outputs as well as up to 8 watts of power make it even a better amp. Its by far the most transparent amp ive heard, tube or ss included. And its neutral without being analytical, thats very hard to do, even harder to get that sound out of an SS amp. If this isnt world class i dont know what is.
Have you heard liquid gold? How do they compare?

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #82 of 95
Have you heard liquid gold? How do they compare?

i personally think GSX MK2 is superior to the cavalli liquid gold, this is with the LCD-3, haven't heard it with HD 800. seems that liquid gold is overpriced and overhyped. with the LCD-3, the sound just seemed kinda off, like weird colorations or something. confused and bland is probably the best way to describe it. the LAu setup i heard was connected to the mytek 192 just like mine is.  the GSX MK2 is transparent, to the point where its just you and the music, its musical too, never analytical like other neutral SS amps can be, and the treble is non-fatiguing, a very rare combination that seems too good to be true. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #83 of 95

A GSX 3 that would be worth saving for. What is your favorite pairing for the GSX? HD800?

im not sure, every headphone sounds its best. though i am really liking the HD 800 with the GSX, not even sure i have to go back to tubes...

the transparency, details, clarity, transients, and soundstage are the best i've heard with the HD 800. and most importantly, the bass. its just so powerful, deep and full of energy, it really adds body to the music and emotion that only comes from full size speakers and 2/2.1 channel systems. its so "perfect". the hd 800 has the best bass its ever had.

of course, the mytek 192 has also been noted for having great bass thats neutral tight and controlled.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #84 of 95

im not sure, every headphone sounds its best. though i am really liking the HD 800 with the GSX, not even sure i have to go back to tubes...

the transparency, details, clarity, transients, and soundstage are the best i've heard with the HD 800. and most importantly, the bass. its just so powerful, deep and full of energy, it really adds body to the music and emotion that only comes from full size speakers and 2/2.1 channel systems. its so "perfect". the hd 800 has the best bass its ever had.

of course, the mytek 192 has also been noted for having great bass thats neutral tight and controlled.

Say what??
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #85 of 95
I have a loaner ALO Studio Six, which is brutally detailed and precise (using a set of NOS tubes). It would be fascinating to compare it to a GS-X, as it would to have a bunch of tubes to roll in it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #86 of 95
I am starting to wonder if this GSX thing is just a simple crack dispenser that uses intra-aural delivery methods. 

Meh....either way, I want one.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #87 of 95

Sounds like a dream. 

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #88 of 95
i personally think GSX MK2 is superior to the cavalli liquid gold, this is with the LCD-3, haven't heard it with HD 800. seems that liquid gold is overpriced and overhyped. with the LCD-3, the sound just seemed kinda off, like weird colorations or something. confused and bland is probably the best way to describe it. the LAu setup i heard was connected to the mytek 192 just like mine is.  the GSX MK2 is transparent, to the point where its just you and the music, its musical too, never analytical like other neutral SS amps can be, and the treble is non-fatiguing, a very rare combination that seems too good to be true. 
I remember Greed preferring his liquid glass to GS-X for Hd800, so I am guessing liquid gold could take HD800 to a higher level than GS-X.

Sep 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #90 of 95
I remember Greed preferring his liquid glass to GS-X for Hd800, so I am guessing liquid gold could take HD800 to a higher level than GS-X.

I think thats a preference of tube sound with hd 800s, but i dont think the cavalli product is necessarily better. I did not like the liquid gold either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back