Best Amp for HD-650s AND Grados
Apr 2, 2009 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

TStewart422

100+ Head-Fier
Yes, I know, ONE amp for the two MOST different sound signatures among the well-known headphone manufacturers. My budget is around $1500. Also, if there is a DAC (Up to about $700) that synergizes well with said amp; include that too. The only other hoop you have to jump through is NO TUBES! I'm not anti-tube; I'm just not a fiddler. Not to mention I'm kind of careless and don't want broken $100+ tubes to impale my foot on.

Thanks, guys, for causing my wallet pain but making my ears so happy!

Apr 2, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 67
I can only recommend what I have. But do take a look at the Audio-GD C-2C.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not anti-tube; I'm just not a fiddler. Not to mention I'm kind of careless and don't want broken $100+ tubes to impale my foot on.

Myths!
smily_headphones1.gif

You don't have to tuberoll. Really, you don't. I'm not trying to start a fight with the tuberollers, but I've never seen much point in it. I just install tubes and use them until they're done. I never fiddle and I don't think that has ever detracted from enjoying my amps.

Yes, I know some people love swapping in and out dozens of tubes. They're very vocal about this as a "benefit," but you don't hear too much from the rest of us. You should be able to pop in a set and get at least two or three years of daily use with zero fiddling.

You don't have to buy $100+ NOS tubes, either. I prefer new tubes. Really. They're affordable and no big deal if one goes. Just order another. Some NOS tubes sound terrific, but I've never had much problem with new Chinese and Russian ones.

Broken tubes are not a problem, either. I've dropped any number onto the floor and haven't broken them. The envelopes are tougher than the typical lightbulb. Further, they always come in a box. If you're not a lunatic with too many tubes, just keep a spare boxed set in your drawer. They'll never break and you'll never have a problem.

With your budget and headphones, you could get a terrific amp.

As for the DAC, look at the PreSonus Central Station. I owned one before going to SACD and vinyl and loved it. It's just that the spinning black discs took over, it became unused, and I sold it. Anyhow, it sounds great and goes for about $500 new. Better still, it has a very good amp that will drive Grados and Sennheisers well. It's worth looking at and pull up the old threads - the Central Station did well in a few large comparisons.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 67
See if you can get someone to build you a beta-22.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the DAC, look at the PreSonus Central Station. I owned one before going to SACD and vinyl and loved it. It's just that the spinning black discs took over, it became unused, and I sold it. Anyhow, it sounds great and goes for about $500 new. Better still, it has a very good amp that will drive Grados and Sennheisers well. It's worth looking at and pull up the old threads - the Central Station did well in a few large comparisons.

Whoa! That looks like the stuff I have sitting beside me at the radio station! It's a little bigger than I have room for, though...

Edit: What about a RSA HR-2?

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 67
I would x3 the beta 22, though my experience with it is limited. Everything I heard out of it sounded fantastic.

Apr 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 67
Woo 6 with PDPS upgrade or Woo 6 SE.

Apr 2, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by deaconblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The β22, with its overkill amount of power, can handle pretty much any dynamic headphone.

I can't find a decent place to look up the price for this. Any leads on how much one of these would run?

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't find a decent place to look up the price for this. Any leads on how much one of these would run?

Price for B22's are highly variable since they are DIY affairs. You could probably build one for ~$700 (guessing), or you could spend a few thousand on one (there is one thats been floating in the FS forums for a while for $2k). You can find kits with pricing here but you have to add cost of casing, plugs, etc, not to mention the cost of labor--either your time if you're going to put it together yourself, or someone else's.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 67
That's outside of my price range, then. If I put it together, it'd blow a smoking crater the size of the White House where my residence used to be. The Woo6 looks good (except I don't want tubes); I keep going back to the HR-2, simply based on the good results of my Mustang.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 67
I didn't mean to say that if you don't build it yourself it will cost $2k. I just meant to tell you that if you go all out you can get one as nice as you can imagine. You could get someone to build you a nice one for much less than that though. Or if you're not in a rush you could wait for a good deal to pop up on the FS forums; it's not too uncommon to see B22's come up there.

Apr 25, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 67
All of this is interesting stuff. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Someone in a PM highly recommended the Headline 2, but I think it may be a little bigger than what I'm looking for...

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #14 of 67
I have had a similar interest - to see if I can find a modestly priced SS amp that sounds as good as my WA6 SEM, and Millett MiniMax, or nearly so.

I've focused down to the KICAS Caliente, the GS Solo SRG, and possibly the M^3 (in about that order)... although, the Audio gd C-2C, has crept into the mix... and... maybe the TTVJ FET-A it looks interesting also.

I want a combo of the tube and SS sound - which is why I like the MiniMax so much... it gives you both. And... I understand some of these other SS amps do also - maybe all of them. I ruled out the HR-2, because some persons whose perspectives I value, suggested I should "take a pass" - overpriced relative to its SQ. Although, some seem to like it.

I'm unwilling to invest >$1,000 in such an amp... because I don't believe spending more money, appreciably improves the SQ... and... I really don't care If I don't realize "that last 5%." I can't justify the disproportionate cost to get it - I'd rather have the money, more than that last 5%.

Apr 25, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #15 of 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back