Best Amp for HD-650s AND Grados
Apr 27, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #31 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what I would go for if the price was right. How much, if you don't mind me asking? PM me if you would be more comfortable with that
wink.gif

If you are spending as much as you will be on an amp...... absolutely worth it. One of the most significant and important upgrades you can do.

External. Worry about that later.

I would say the DAC is more important than a stepped attenuator. I have a Stello da100 and I like it very much, it gets pretty good reccomendation around here. You might get the stello signature dac as its balanced. Or look into the lavry da11, this is the dac i wish i could afford.

Apr 27, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #32 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say the DAC is more important than a stepped attenuator.

True. Though one doesn't preclude the other, and the OP asked about amps and seems to want to buy an amp first.

In the context of buying an amp now, and in the price range the OP is looking at, the stepped attenuator is a very worthwhile purchase.

Apr 27, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #34 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Used B22 for $1500 in the classifieds by seller with perfect feedback
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...22-b22-421638/

Oh wow, that is an incredible deal. Forget about all these dinky toys everyone else has been talking about, this is it. And the seller is indeed a Prince amongst men.

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #35 of 67
I haven't heard it yet but I ordered the ALO Amphora battery powered headphone amp from ALO audio. What attracted me to it is that it uses the same headphone stage found in the Red Wine Audio Isabella preamp which is reported to be an excellent headphone amp. I've always liked the ethos of RWA (battery power instead of dirty mains power) and the Amphora is beautiful to boot. Also, I'm a sucker for limited edition, individually numbered items.

It costs $1000.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #37 of 67
If I was in your position, I'd spend far more on the source than the Amp.

Source is more important to me than an Amplifier, when an Amplfier, especially if it's Class A is to just increase the volume of the source signal ideally. Other things happen I admit.

Either way, for example, having proper ASIO drivers for my DAC instead of the emulated ASIO4All made more difference than even going from my laptop soundcard to an external DAC. Source matters most and make sure the entire setup is correct.

So in closing, I would spent over a thousand on an incredible DAC and then just buy a trusted Solid State Amp like the Rockhopper M3 with a Sigma11 and call it day.

DACs I'd look at, any from Audio-gd, a few from MHDT Labs.

If I was lazy, just get the Lavry DA11 or Grace M902 with great DACs and Amplifiers in one.

But that's me, I couldn't care less about a $2000 amp, but if I read about the MHDT Labs Havana, then I drool.

Apr 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #38 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was in your position, I'd spend far more on the source than the Amp.

Source is more important to me than an Amplifier, when an Amplfier, especially if it's Class A is to just increase the volume of the source signal ideally. Other things happen I admit.

Either way, for example, having proper ASIO drivers for my DAC instead of the emulated ASIO4All made more difference than even going from my laptop soundcard to an external DAC. Source matters most and make sure the entire setup is correct.

So in closing, I would spent over a thousand on an incredible DAC and then just buy a trusted Solid State Amp like the Rockhopper M3 with a Sigma11 and call it day.

DACs I'd look at, any from Audio-gd, a few from MHDT Labs.

If I was lazy, just get the Lavry DA11 or Grace M902 with great DACs and Amplifiers in one.

But that's me, I couldn't care less about a $2000 amp, but if I read about the MHDT Labs Havana, then I drool.

From what I understand, a DAC can only get so good, topping out at ~$700.. Speaking of, what is the best way for me to get audio from my MacBook Pro? Optical?

Apr 27, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #39 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by TStewart422 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I understand, a DAC can only get so good, topping out at ~$700..

Many would disagree with that.

Of course, many would also say all amps sound the same......
wink.gif

Quote:

Speaking of, what is the best way for me to get audio from my MacBook Pro? Optical?

If it has optical out, the probably yes. Otherwise, USB is perfectly good IMHO, regardless of what some people will try and argue.

Apr 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #40 of 67
I know I don't need to be focusing on the DAC yet, but I would like to already have one in mind. I would prefer something not so big, especially if it's going to be on my desk, so preferably something I could stack on top of the B-22. ANY suggestions?

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM Post #42 of 67
The Solo would be my choice with your budget. It will give you the best of SS (speed,clarity,dynamics,detail) but many people also say it has tube like qualities. Never heard a tube amp so can't confirm that but it does have a slightly warm sound and the new version is supposed to work very well with Senn's and Grados.

Jun 13, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #43 of 67
If the newer version works better with Grado's it is really something special, I think the 2007 model does a fine job already. But then... I have not really compared that many amps, they are hard to find without buying. hopefully I'll be able to compare it to the B22 in a few weeks.

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #45 of 67
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Solo would be my choice with your budget. It will give you the best of SS (speed,clarity,dynamics,detail) but many people also say it has tube like qualities. Never heard a tube amp so can't confirm that but it does have a slightly warm sound and the new version is supposed to work very well with Senn's and Grados.

DITTO... the Solo SRG... in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back