Best Amp for Grado RS1 Under $500
Jun 18, 2010 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Zack916

Head-Fier
I just bought a Grado RS1 with a Grado RA-1 amp and I love it.  I was just curious for when I do upgrade, what that upgrade should be.  If there are other threads already talking about this, sorry (not really), I felt this was more specific and is a question I, among many others, would love a debate and answer to.  Let's go!

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 15
I was reading lately and I found Mad Ear HD to be having the good synergy with RS1 according to most users.
biggrin.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #4 of 15
I had a Mapletree HD100 and HD150. The HD100 was my favorite w/ the RS-1 and it was based on the 12B4A tube and the 5751. Recently Dr. Lloyd has switched from the 12B4A to the EL84 and the reviews I have read are very encouraging. Maybe you can attend a meet and listen to a Mapletree.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 15
Interesting...I'll have to do some research on the Mapletrees.  How do you find information on meets?  I'm in the DC area right now but I'm in Princeton, NJ during the school year and the latter part of the summer.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #6 of 15
Sheer Audio HA-006+ with 1x gain imo! Only $280 too, or you can get the HA-006++ which is upgraded. It's a commercially made Dynalo amp, like the Gilmore Lite.

I've never heard an RS-1 but I used my HF-2 with this amp for a long time and really loved it. Makes the HF-2 come alive I have to say, everything is a notch better than unamped.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #7 of 15
That's what I've heard as well.  I was deciding between the RA-1 and HA-006+ and went with the RA-1 because it was $150 cheaper and I had read some really fantastic reviews about it. Do you think the HA-006++ is worth it over the HA-006+?  And is 1x gain better than the 3x option?  I've read most people go that direction.

Jun 20, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #8 of 15
Well if you get the HA-006+ then I would definitely get 1x, especially for a Grado. One of the big differences with the HA-006+ and ++ is that the ++ uses a stepped attenuator instead of a pot. So at very low levels (~7-8 o' clock) there won't be any channel imbalances.

That's why I would get 1x on the + version definitely, as you can still listen at low levels without having to worry about the channel imbalance (1x cranked above the imbalance point is still low) or having to lower the volume on your computer to compensate as that significantly decreases resolution and quality.

If you plan on using it with some really inefficient headphones and like to listen loudly then perhaps 3x is the way to go (?).

As for sonic differences between the + and ++ I can't really say as I can't compare them side by side as my HA-006+ is at default 11x gain and the ++ is at 1x gain. I do like my ++ a lot but a few spots on the knob make an audible click noise when I turn it (only somewhat annoying on my super sensitive JH-13 and on some speakers).

You can also use the HA-006 as a pre-amp as it has a set of RCA outputs, which is a feature I quite enjoy.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #9 of 15
+1 for the Mapletree Ear+ HD. Best match for the RS1s out of many amps I've tried (including Woo). I like it so much, I ordered Lloyd's new Super II. It should be here in a few weeks...

Jun 21, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 15
Hate to say this butI love RA1+ RS1 combo.I really enjoyed the combo.
Mapletree is great for RS1 too if you like warm sounding.
IMO,You cant go wrong with both.

Jun 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm now considering selling off the V-DAC and RA-1 and instead getting a portable amp like an iBasso or RSA Predator...I just feel like I'll probably get similar sound quality for a much lower price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back