Best amp for Grado HP2 ...
Dec 21, 2007 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Nik

Headphoneus Supremus
Please tell me your opion and experiences. (Available amps, please)
Thanks !

Dec 21, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please tell me your opion and experiences. (Available amps, please)
Thanks !

I'm in love with the eddie current hd2 the hp2 balanced sounds great
IMG_2180.jpg

Dec 22, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 22
This depends on your listening preferences. As shown above, tubes can work quite well with the HP-2. They're neutral, so they can go with everything, but they're also revealing, so don't hook them up to crap. I have listened to a Singlepower (Slam?) which was nice, but definitely missing the low bass impact and detail in the highs. I generally prefer solid-state equipment with my HP2 - the PS Audio GCHA was pretty decent and I've also listened to the Gilmore Dynahi and the Lavry DA10's amp - under loud meet conditions, unfortunately. The HP-2 works with most amplifiers except those intended for high-gain headphones (like the Sennheiser HD-600, at about 300 ohms vs. the Grado HP-2's 40 ohms).

I recently did a fairly exhaustive survey of headphone amps and concluded that, out of currently produced amps, the Channel Islands Audio VHP-2 ($399 USD + $179 VAC-1 power supply) would have been the most suitable for my budget and listening preferences. No extravagant claims, no gold-plated price. Reviews for the previous VHP-1 were favorable, and I expect the VHP-2 would be an improvement. HeadAmp's GS-1 would have been my second choice - I had some doubts about it since there haven't been many reviews of Justin's new modules yet. Also, the much higher price of the GS-1 ($749) and the wait time were factors against it. Justin didn't answer my email last week inquiring about the sonic differences between the GS-1 and GS-X, particularly for single-ended use.

I found the amp search was interesting because I hadn't looked in the amp section for a while. It was refreshing to see new products such as the revised Meier Audio amp lineup, Heed Audio's CanAmp, Trident Audio's LISA and also to recall works-in-progress (from when l was current) like the Beta22 and M3 in production with DIY makers. A lot of stuff looks good, but is unsuitable for one reason or another - too expensive, tubes, Europe-only distribution, or lack of sufficient reviews. The structure of the amp market was also interesting - Headroom is still the foremost manufacturer, while most of the other products are either one-offs from major manufacturers (e.g. Creek OBH-21SE, Naim Headline, etc.), extremely expensive boutique items (e.g. RudiStor's RP010B-MKII), or one-man operations like Dr. Xin, Justin, Gary, etc. Some of the most interesting amps that I came across were Lehmann's Black Cube, RudiStor's amps, and the Graham Slee Solo). There are also a lot more tube amps out there - I won't go into them here.

Some of the more senior members of head-fi might be able to help you regarding other amps. A number of them have heard numerous amps paired with the HP-2 either at meets or in their other listening experience. The out-of-production Melos SHA-1, Joe Grado's original amps, and the Mapletree amps also have a great reputation with Grados.

Personally, I made my decision a while ago with Norm's Headsave Classic. I recently took a look inside the case and was pleasantly surprised by the elegance and simplicity of the design - there were no extraneous parts anywhere, and the quality of the parts and connections were excellent. In my opinion, it's easy to get caught up in the marketing language and extravagant claims made by the various vendors. It happened to me again when I reviewed the state of headphone amps this week, but I'll be glad to be just listening when my amp is working again.

The Headsave Classic uses three Burr-Brown OPA627s, the same chip used in Headroom's Max amplifier. I find it to be lush, rich, musical, detailed, and accurate. There is no fancy power supply, only a 24V Elpac wall-wart... and yet, it provides as satisfying an experience as I've heard so far with far more expensive and elaborate equipment. I'm really looking forward to listening to it again with my new CD player. More on that later.

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 22
I had very good success with the Ray Samuels B52. They also sounded quite nice via Headroom Desktop (maxed out).

And Nik, BTW, nice stereo set-up! I love the Mani-2's. The first set of speakers that really made go "Wow!"

Dec 22, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 22
Singlepower Extreme or Singlepower Extreme Platinum. The Stock Extreme sounds great with the HP-2 or any of the Alessandros. In fact, this amp seems to bring out the best in any headphone. I particularly like the Senn 580/600/650, any of the Alessandro's and this amp can drive the K1000's.

Singlepower Extreme

HPIM0531.jpg

HPIM0135.jpg

HPIM0144.jpg

HPIM0139.jpg

Singlepower Extreme Platinum

HPIM0283.jpg

HPIM0281.jpg

HPIM0285.jpg

HPIM0279.jpg

HPIM0276.jpg

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 22
I loved mine with the Singlepower SDS, and the Gilmore V1(not in production). I think one of the newer more powerful output Singlepowers would really shine with the HP-2.

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 22
Another contender should be Zana Deux..
I am thinking about HP-2 as final headphone for my dynamic rig..

Dec 22, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 22
A Melos SHA-Gold Reference or Maestro, maxed-out modified to the "Maestrobator" level (created & formerly done by past member Carlo). Controls Grados like no other I've heard.

The hybrid nature of the Melos seems to be the key. The solid-state output section provides the necessary current to drive the inefficient HP-2's, while the tubed input section allows some sonic tailoring.

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Thanks to all.

May be I'll go for a custom (hybrid) highest level for this marvelous cans...

If you have some opinon about the building, please gime me...

Best!
Nik

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 22
Nik,

Check out the Melos Sha Gold Refererece or go all out and get the Single Power SDS with high voltage tube. This amp will make every headphone (except the K1000) sounds excellent.

Dec 22, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 22
HiWire, we need to get those HP2's of yours hooked up to my amp to see how it handles them.
smily_headphones1.gif

So far, I love it with RS-1's and MS-Pro's, but wasn't a big fan with the PS-1's. Probably just because I am so used to how they sound on Biggies PS-1 rig though.

Dec 22, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #14 of 22
ive never heard the melos, but Ive read a lot of people say that it is the best amp for the HP2's.

But I dont think you can really go wrong with them, as they are so neutral they dont need taming (john grados) or waking up (650's). But I would go for a neutral to slightly warm amp. They sounded wonderful out of my supermicro IV!

Dec 23, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HiWire, we need to get those HP2's of yours hooked up to my amp to see how it handles them.

I'm sure it will sound good if the MS-Pros work well with them. That will be at the next meet or mini-meet.

I think that a lot of other great amps have come out since the Melos... it's just that there is only a limited number of HP-2s out there, and their owners may be fairly established/conservative compared to the average Head-Fier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back