Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Jul 27, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #196 of 664
Yes, I would have the same conclusions. Most of my opinions were based on using a Chord 2Qute which was much better then then the Violectric DAC cards. Would say the bass was the same between Violectric and HDV 820. Very controlled because of the power and when running with a balanced cable, you'll have more bass control and hear more of the environment/recording space. I'm now running a Invicta Mirus with my HDV 820/HD800S.

The HD800S headphones are not known to be bass heavy but is you want to get the most bass out of them, I think Violectric and the HDV820 would be good choices.
Was there anything V281 did better then HDV820 you think? Did you have the most expensive volume pot (+ 589$) for V281, they claim it makes a difference in sound.

The only fear i can have against HDV 820 is that it might be to polite and smooth and cant rock out and engage.Am i wrong?

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #197 of 664
Was there anything V281 did better then HDV820 you think? Did you have the most expensive volume pot (+ 589$) for V281, they claim it makes a difference in sound.

The only fear i can have against HDV 820 is that it might be to polite and smooth and cant rock out and engage.Am i wrong?

Thinking back about the V281. I loved the big stepped volume knob. It has unbalanced pre-outs that can be set to variable and full gain/tape-outs. This is nice if you want to pass the signal to either an amp or a 2 channel pre-amplifier using a regular input (when all your sources connect to the V281). Don't think the DAC cards are as good as the integrated DAC in the HDV 820. So much time and effort must have been put into the HDV 820 making sure it was perfectly integrated, for its price point. You'll get a much bigger sense of space more resolution. Its a great starting point and might be good enough. Think if the rest of your system is top notch, an external DAC could be an upgrade. I did not have the upgraded the volume pot on the V281. Do think if you plan on powering more powerful headphones, maybe the Violectric would be a better choice. The Violectric also has tons of gain configurations so you can really tune the volume knob based on the gain of your source. I would say the the V280 is just a little warmer then the V281 and the HDV820 has the same warmth as the V281. As far as the design. I think the V281 is a bit gangly. V280 is sexier but the HDV820 matches the HD800S aesthetics perfectly. Design is also important to me as I don't want my place to look like a recording studio.

Don't think the HD800S headphones are rock out headphones. If your really like rocking, you might look at something like the Ether Flow C headphones. To me, running an amp like the Violectric and the HDV820 balanced has enough power to really grip, take control of the bass. I'm not listening to too much hip-hop though. My younger cousin didn't think my setup had enough bass and I thought he was crazy. He had a Schitt stack with Fostex TH900 headphones. LOTS of bass but I didn't think they had the sound-stage or nuance of the HD800S.

I'm a huge fan of Chord Company cables. I'm using Chord Chorus Reference between my DAC and 2 channel system's pre-amp. I'm using a 35' BetterCables Blue Truth II XLR cables between my Mirus DAC and my HDV820 per John Grandberg's recommendation.

Jul 28, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #198 of 664
Thinking back about the V281. I loved the big stepped volume knob. It has unbalanced pre-outs that can be set to variable and full gain/tape-outs. This is nice if you want to pass the signal to either an amp or a 2 channel pre-amplifier using a regular input (when all your sources connect to the V281). Don't think the DAC cards are as good as the integrated DAC in the HDV 820. So much time and effort must have been put into the HDV 820 making sure it was perfectly integrated, for its price point. You'll get a much bigger sense of space more resolution. Its a great starting point and might be good enough. Think if the rest of your system is top notch, an external DAC could be an upgrade. I did not have the upgraded the volume pot on the V281. Do think if you plan on powering more powerful headphones, maybe the Violectric would be a better choice. The Violectric also has tons of gain configurations so you can really tune the volume knob based on the gain of your source. I would say the the V280 is just a little warmer then the V281 and the HDV820 has the same warmth as the V281. As far as the design. I think the V281 is a bit gangly. V280 is sexier but the HDV820 matches the HD800S aesthetics perfectly. Design is also important to me as I don't want my place to look like a recording studio.

Don't think the HD800S headphones are rock out headphones. If your really like rocking, you might look at something like the Ether Flow C headphones. To me, running an amp like the Violectric and the HDV820 balanced has enough power to really grip, take control of the bass. I'm not listening to too much hip-hop though. My younger cousin didn't think my setup had enough bass and I thought he was crazy. He had a Schitt stack with Fostex TH900 headphones. LOTS of bass but I didn't think they had the sound-stage or nuance of the HD800S.

I'm a huge fan of Chord Company cables. I'm using Chord Chorus Reference between my DAC and 2 channel system's pre-amp. I'm using a 35' BetterCables Blue Truth II XLR cables between my Mirus DAC and my HDV820 per John Grandberg's recommendation.

I wonder what your cousin would have thought of the ZMF Auteur or Eikon. Maybe satisfy his bass craving while also giving him amazing detail and soundstage. Sorry to take it off topic.

Still got my eye on the HDV820 as my next upgrade!

By the way since EQing the HD800S it is really engaging and lively with bass heavy music / techno.

More details here

"After a bunch of testing and experimentation I made my subbass and bass ramp more modest and now have the best balance between giving the 800S a rich colour while still preserving probably 95% of the mid and treble detail. This is at least on my burson conductor SL 9018. I also use it for my HD650 which makes a bass thumpin party headphone! :D Also I do have the taction kannons coming so I'll probably think even the 650s are bass light soon lol.

In case anyone wants the subbass ramp (you know the foobar graphic equalizer plugin) its here: http://www.diabolicaldesign.net/SmodsbassHD800S_650.xgeq"

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #200 of 664
Now this is for SDR HD800 w/Cardas Clear. Had at home for extended auditions:

Audio Alchemy DDP-1 w/PS-5
DAC3
Stellar GCD
Brooklyn DAC +

Peter Madnick used the HD800 when designing the DDP-1's headstage. It’s unfortunate, but at some point in the production run they had a ridic silent revision, changing from 1/4” to 3.5mm..SMH. If you get a chance to hear one with 1/4" please do. Now disco and successor omits headstage for a streamer. Would’ve been quite the all-in-one if they could’ve managed to squeeze an amp it there as well.

I also thought the Stellar played very well with the Senns. Like all PS gear the Stellar is voiced slightly warm, clearly welcomed with these transducers. Big plus with Stellar is that it is, as close as it makes no difference, source agnostic. No usb decrapifiers required here like with 99% of dacs out there. This is a major pro and the reason I would recommend it over the rest. Under $2k I don’t know of a better dac/amp for use with all but the hardest to drive planars..even does sensitive iems without hiss too.

DAC3 I found too sunny with the already brightly lit 800’s. It did out-resolve the Stellar ever so slightly but lower mids into sub-bass sounded fuller and more more convincing thru Stellar. Overall I preferred the Stellar, their Digital Lens tech probably having much to do with it.

Brooklyn + I didn’t feel had a decent enough headstage to adequately drive the Senns..even though this was supposed to be an area of improvement. Using this dac into any of the three amps produced an all together more realistic performance. Once again I'm left feeling jitter and noise are letting down a great product here.

To go into detail with any of the specific SQ impressions would be to write a full reviews which I don’t have time for right now. I can't half-ass it and it should be quite clear that I wholeheartedly believe usb implementation plays a key role in SQ which is probably why the Stellar is able to complete with the three other higher spec'd D/S chip units.

On my way out, If I was looking for a combo unit in and around $1K the Holo Spring Cyan would be on my short list. RME DAC 2 is apparently more resolving but once again it comes down to headstage and Cyan has the RME easily beat. RME is best served with iems if anyone was wondering and another one of the very few source agnostic dacs out there as well.

PS - Why no CMA800R in the recommended amps? I got mine used for $1100 and I remember seeing them for only $1500 at Moon Audio a while ago..as in if they did it once you can be sure if you bug enough you can get a similar deal. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better amp to partner with 800/S Senns for that kind of cash. Also the Matrix Audio HPA-3B w/LME49720HA's was unbeatable for under $500 back when I had it in my collection. Not sure if something has come along to supersede it now though.

Edit - I see I've helped no one. Surprising as these are some of the most sought after dacamps one would pair with HD800/S. There's better options than the HDV820 you guys..

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #201 of 664
I got an HDV820 and can say its a massive step up from my Burson. The sense of size and staging is amazing and the slight warmth is fantastic. Definitely recommended. I haven't compared it to any high end stack though but I bet it compares well.

Sep 7, 2018 at 12:45 AM Post #203 of 664
I got it for about $1800 but with a bunch of extras that were worth another $500 so I got a pretty amazing deal. But I think sub 1900 is reasonable.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #205 of 664
From where?

A member on the forum, it was good since he was in Canada so I didn't have to deal with border fees/taxes

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #207 of 664
Got my HDV 820 for $1899.00 from prosoundgear and it was in excellent shape. Don’t think it came with the original box, they mentioned it was a floor model. No regrets.

Thats a great deal because I think you get a full warranty.

How are you liking it Havoc?

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:55 AM Post #208 of 664
Decided to concentrate on my 2 channel rig and just use my Leben CS600 with my headphones. Going to sell my HDV 820 with a nice power cable. It is listed in the sales section of this website.

I'm still undecided on if I'm going to keep my HD800S headphones. They were unreal with the HDV 820, Mirus DAC and Better Cable Truth II XLR cable. Going to see what they are like now that I put the stock 6L6GC tubes back in the Leben.

Sep 7, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #209 of 664
Decided to concentrate on my 2 channel rig and just use my Leben CS600 with my headphones. Going to sell my HDV 820 with a nice power cable. It is listed in the sales section of this website.

I'm still undecided on if I'm going to keep my HD800S headphones. They were unreal with the HDV 820, Mirus DAC and Better Cable Truth II XLR cable. Going to see what they are like now that I put the stock 6L6GC tubes back in the Leben.

Let us know how you like the 800S with your leben vs hdv.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back