Best Amp + Dac for HD800 S
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #181 of 664
I’ve had the V280, V281 and now the HDV 820. All their dacs can be bettered. Do think I like the built-in dac of the HDV 820 more then the add on v280/v281 cards. Think they are all similar but I want to say maybe the HDV 820 has more resolution without sacrificing any warmth. Feel like I get a better since of space especially with the HD800S headphones. If you have more power hungry headphones, would think Violectric would be the better choice. Do think the V280 was just the tiniest bit warmer then the V281.

Them all having a balanced input makes it really nice if you have a balanced dac and want to run a long XLR cable around without sacrificing quality. That what I do so I don’t need two complete systems. i.e. ultraRendu/psu/media server.

Ha. My 100th post :)
If you would judge the amps and forgett about the internal dacs you would have the same conclusion with HD 800 S? Or did you only use the internal dacs with V280/V281?

Which has best bass?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #182 of 664
If you would judge the amps and forgett about the internal dacs you would have the same conclusion with HD 800 S? Or did you only use the internal dacs with V280/V281?

Which has best bass?

Yes, I would have the same conclusions. Most of my opinions were based on using a Chord 2Qute which was much better then then the Violectric DAC cards. Would say the bass was the same between Violectric and HDV 820. Very controlled because of the power and when running with a balanced cable, you'll have more bass control and hear more of the environment/recording space. I'm now running a Invicta Mirus with my HDV 820/HD800S.

The HD800S headphones are not known to be bass heavy but is you want to get the most bass out of them, I think Violectric and the HDV820 would be good choices.

Jul 25, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #183 of 664
The Violetric V281 only makes sense if you plan to use an outboard DAC or headphones other than the HD 800 S, HD 820, HD 660 etc. For the HD 800 S and HD 820, the HDV 820 is near perfect.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #184 of 664
With HDV 820. Will i get a fully balanced output from the 4 pin xlr if i use SE rca from Hugo 2?

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #185 of 664
With HDV 820. Will i get a fully balanced output from the 4 pin xlr if i use SE rca from Hugo 2?
The Hugo 2 is not a balanced source. As I have said many times now, I prefer to use my HD 800 S headphone with my HDV 820 than I do with my Chord DAVE. I don't see any reason to use an outboard DAC and I think Sennheiser's engineers did an outstanding job with the HDV 820 because it convincingly recreates the spatial dimensions of height, width and depth. Using outboard DACs in some cases may collapse the sound and screw up a perfectly good thing. Its hard to beat Sennheiser at their own game-- they designed a purpose built amplifier specifically for the HD 800 S and HDV 820 headphones from the ground up and delayed releasing it until they felt it was perfect. It seems utterly pointless buy the HDV 820 and then use another DAC like the Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #186 of 664
The Hugo 2 is not a balanced source. As I have said many times now, I prefer to use my HD 800 S headphone with my HDV 820 than I do with my Chord DAVE. I don't see any reason to use an outboard DAC and I think Sennheiser's engineers did an outstanding job with the HDV 820 because it convincingly recreates the spatial dimensions of height, width and depth. Using outboard DACs in some cases may collapse the sound and screw up a perfectly good thing. It seems utterly pointless buy the HDC 820 and then use another DAC like the Hugo 2.
Many think otherwise. That an great external dac does a better job then internal.

This review for exempel like hugo 2 better then internal dac.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1117/Sennheiser_HDV820_DAC_Headamp_Review.htm

And my short 2 hour listening my self with hdv 820/hugo 2 combo i thought it sounded a little better with hugo 2. It sounded fully balanced to me if i would guess.

Internal dac have soundrops the way i listen to audio from my tv with optical, hugo 2 does not have the sound drops.

Sure one that dont have sound drops could be very happy with the internal dac as its the best value.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #187 of 664
Many think otherwise. That an great external dac does a better job then internal.

This review for exempel like hugo 2 better then internal dac.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1117/Sennheiser_HDV820_DAC_Headamp_Review.htm

And my short 2 hour listening my self with hdv 820/hugo 2 combo i thought it sounded a little better with hugo 2. It sounded fully balanced to me if i would guess.

Internal dac have soundrops the way i listen to audio from my tv with optical, hugo 2 does not have the sound drops.

Sure one that dont have sound drops could be very happy with the internal dac as its the best value.

I will say this, the HDV 820's DAC is quite good. It does recreate "spatial dimensions of height, width and depth" very, very well. I would say just as well as the best DACs on the market and that is saying a lot! but... I hear better definition and clarity with my Mirus and I still get the warmth without it being syrupy. I want to say the Mirus and the Chord 2Qute get rid of all traces of sibilance that I heard with the internal DAC on the HDV 820.

Also, this is what drives me CRAZY on these threads/forums. What was the rest of the system like? Every system is different. Are your power mains dirty and need some serious power conditioning? Are you using your crappy laptop's USB port and transmitting tons or RFI/RMI noise to your DAC? Are you using a USB cable that is accentuating the bass at the expense of the highs. It all matters! You might not even hear an increase in resolution/clarity if you have problems upstream.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #188 of 664
Also, this is what drives me CRAZY on these threads/forums. What was the rest of the system like? Every system is different. Are your power mains dirty and need some serious power conditioning? Are you using your crappy laptop's USB port and transmitting tons or RFI/RMI noise to your DAC? Are you using a USB cable that is accentuating the bass at the expense of the highs. It all matters! You might not even hear an increase in resolution/clarity if you have problems upstream.
Exactly. As soon as I read, “from my tv with optical” I unsubscribed.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #189 of 664
The Hugo 2 is not a balanced source. As I have said many times now, I prefer to use my HD 800 S headphone with my HDV 820 than I do with my Chord DAVE. I don't see any reason to use an outboard DAC and I think Sennheiser's engineers did an outstanding job with the HDV 820 because it convincingly recreates the spatial dimensions of height, width and depth. Using outboard DACs in some cases may collapse the sound and screw up a perfectly good thing. Its hard to beat Sennheiser at their own game-- they designed a purpose built amplifier specifically for the HD 800 S and HDV 820 headphones from the ground up and delayed releasing it until they felt it was perfect. It seems utterly pointless buy the HDV 820 and then use another DAC like the Hugo 2.

They set the bar about as low as they could with the HDV 600 and 800 given it uses the same amp and a mediocre dac. The HDV820 might just be redemption, if it's worth the money at all this time around, and hopefully it's compatible with other headphones too.

Experiences with Aurolic Taurus MKII?

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #190 of 664
I heard very much diffrence when i changed RCA cable between dac and amp some months ago. I assumed the most expensive was the best(audioqiest diamondback) i switched to chord company chrimson cable. Diamondback was so veiled while chrimson was much clearer in every range. I bought them some years ago maybe around 2008.

https://goo.gl/images/2NTRXe
https://goo.gl/images/LJDbya

Jul 26, 2018 at 3:54 AM Post #191 of 664
Exactly. As soon as I read, “from my tv with optical” I unsubscribed.
I am just a casual music listener. Maybe 80% of the audio i listen to is from movies and tv series. For music i listen to apple music from apple tv 4k. Its most convenient for me. Using a computer to play music just dont float my boat, it wont happen. So its from tv or no music at all. But i still want to best sound possible from my tv and i always use headphones with my tv. Do i hear diffrence when i buy better gear? Very much so.

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #192 of 664
I am just a casual music listener. Maybe 80% of the audio i listen to is from movies and tv series. For music i listen to apple music from apple tv 4k. Its most convenient for me. Using a computer to play music just dont float my boat, it wont happen. So its from tv or no music at all. But i still want to best sound possible from my tv and i always use headphones with my tv. Do i hear diffrence when i buy better gear? Very much so.

I don’t even know where to start with this question. TV integrated DAC is the worse. You need a plethora of things before it can sound good.

I use iPad, and stream YouTube, Netflix, I use a DaP that can be used as external DAC and yes, it will sound good

Jul 26, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #193 of 664
I don’t even know where to start with this question. TV integrated DAC is the worse. You need a plethora of things before it can sound good.

I use iPad, and stream YouTube, Netflix, I use a DaP that can be used as external DAC and yes, it will sound good
I use hugo 2 as dac to my tv with optical. So it should take over the sound and process it internaly.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 4:12 AM Post #194 of 664
Wrong post

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back