**Best amp/dac for $400**
May 10, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #17 of 39
Quote:
Any speculation on the price point for the combo?

Nope, more then a O2 portable +ODAC i would guess, by about $30~50

May 10, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 39
Quote:
I had that combo in mind till i went and listened to it. 
take your stuff and go into store it pays to hear it all together, you might end up somewhere else. 

good luck i just went through it. 

Srry for the double post, but ii you didn't like the combo..What lacked?

May 10, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 39
ODAC + O2 is up for preorders at JDS, shipping soon I believe.  It's the basic pseudo-portable O2 (which despite having the ability to run on dual 9V batteries and having, unfortunately scaled down 1/8" jacks and mini volume pot isn't overwhelmingly portable, IMO.) 

There will, later, at an unknown time also be an ODA which will be the proper desktop model (no batteries, Neutrik 1/4" jacks, rear RCA jacks) which will come with or without the DAC as well.  He who must not be named has suggested up to a $30 price difference on parts + the panel mounting and chassis charges if buying pre-assembled.  It is currently up for debate whether it will sound any better as a result of a full wave power supply, and the inherent potential benefits of RCA & 1/4" jacks.  It should hopefully have a prettier look on a desktop, and better "user interface" in terms of the wires in the back, a smoother Neutrik jack, and a full size pot and better feeling power switch.

May 11, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #21 of 39
Quote:
ODAC + O2 is up for preorders at JDS, shipping soon I believe.  It's the basic pseudo-portable O2 (which despite having the ability to run on dual 9V batteries and having, unfortunately scaled down 1/8" jacks and mini volume pot isn't overwhelmingly portable, IMO.) 

There will, later, at an unknown time also be an ODA which will be the proper desktop model (no batteries, Neutrik 1/4" jacks, rear RCA jacks) which will come with or without the DAC as well.  He who must not be named has suggested up to a $30 price difference on parts + the panel mounting and chassis charges if buying pre-assembled.  It is currently up for debate whether it will sound any better as a result of a full wave power supply, and the inherent potential benefits of RCA & 1/4" jacks.  It should hopefully have a prettier look on a desktop, and better "user interface" in terms of the wires in the back, a smoother Neutrik jack, and a full size pot and better feeling power switch.

voldemort

May 11, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #23 of 39
May 14, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #25 of 39
May 14, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 39
gamma 1 dac (@160 professional made, less if you diy - or HRT music streamer II) and and a Sheer Audio HA-006+ (@280) - this gives you a great usb/coax dac, and one of the best solid state amp circuits designed at any price, the Gilmore DynaLo. 

May 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #28 of 39
I think the O2+ODAC combo is available for pre-order.

May 16, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #30 of 39
Quote:
Srry for the double post, but ii you didn't like the combo..What lacked?

With the Bifrost and the Valhalla, I found that even though it was warm and full in the sound. when it came to the sound more so in the mids and highs, the sound blended and you lost the little bits of detail that I personally love. Having now listened to what I think is a crazy number of rigs, and still looking to grow my collection. I like the sound to come through as it was recorded bad or good. 
looking at adding a woo to the family and Burson(cause you always need one from your home town). 

well that's my take on it but as i always say its personal and what I like may not be what you like, so go and listen. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back