Best alternative to Bose Triports? Mine busted :(
Dec 2, 2009 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

thefiend1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Im new to this forum. I did some searching on this topic but Id like to hear some other opinions. Ive had my Bose Triport "over ear" headphones for about a year, and the wire on the right channel came loose and pulled out of the right can
frown.gif
I saw this coming since I bought it...they are such a small gauge wire and just looked like I could karate chop it with my pinky it would break. So I was wondering in case I cant have it replaced for free - what do you guys recommend as a better replacement for less than the 134$ price tag?

1- I personally liked the way these sounded, good bass and highs imo...I know there is alot of controversy on this statement but please if im wrong direct me to better sounding ones.
2- These were also pretty comfortable.
3- Closed back is a must. As an animator, I use these at my workplace with other people around, so I dont really want to annoy them.
4- Better build quality....
mad.gif

5- I dont want to have to dish out that much cash this time around
frown.gif

Thanks in advance!

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 19
I forgot to mention, just incase this helps - I listen to a pretty wide variety of music, and I don't really use it for games or movies... Although I might from time to time so I dont wake the people in my apartment. But im sure if they sound great in music then they probably sound fine in the others. I use the headphones alot with my ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 19
Very few of the phones I have heard sound better than Triports. Those that do are much less comfortable, cost way more, and sound only a little better.

I reccomend that you stick with Bose and just get a new pair.

(Personally, I am going to try A900s to see if they combine equal comfort with somewhat better sound, but they are about twice the price of the Triports.)

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audio Technica M50s is what I replaced my bose triports with. They sound way better!

Someone mentioned those to me - I think im going to check those out. There is a store in town that sells these...maybe they will let me try it out before I purchase.
confused.gif

Smeggy - Haha, If I cant get them replaced then sure
smile.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 19
same thing happened to me a few months back...I actually wrote to Bose and they replaced the Triports for $60...however, after reading through posts here I decided to go with the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and I haven't looked back...I sold the Triports on ebay for $120 and picked up the M50s for $85 so it worked out pretty well price-wise....in my opinion the M50s sound much better than the Triports did, and they continually improve with each listen...it is hard for me to describe but they just have a more complete, deep, & natural sound to me...the biggest difference between the 2 is the M50s feel bigger on my head than the Triports and have a bit tighter fit, but still very comfortable, just in a different way than the Bose

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefiend1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone mentioned those to me - I think im going to check those out. There is a store in town that sells these...maybe they will let me try it out before I purchase.
confused.gif

Smeggy - Haha, If I cant get them replaced then sure
smile.gif

M50s do sound good (though not better than Triports IMO), but they are hideously uncomfortable. I couldn't stand wearing them for morethan 15 minutes.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 19
Pick whichever shure full sized phone is in your pricerange. They sound great for the money, isolate well, and will blow your bose out of the water.

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by thefiend1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

Yes, do try the M50 and other headphone options if you can. Especially since you're playing directly from an iPod. Play the headphones from the iPod and make sure they can get loud enough and have enough dynamics (punch). An iPod won't drive all larger (over ear or around ear style) headphones. I've never tried the M50 directly from an iPod. The one positive aspect of the TriPort is that it can be driven directly from an iPod with no difficulty.

Other headphones to try would be the new Shure full size headphones, and Ultrasones. You might be able to try the Shure headphones at some local pro-audio music shops.

Listen to the mids as well. The midrange is an area where the TriPort falls short. Listen to the voice of a well recorded singer. Listen for things like the air in the voice, the crackle of vocal cords, any other details that you can hear. Those are things that the TriPort misses and turns to mush. Music is more than just exaggerated bass and exaggerated highs.

Dec 2, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M50s do sound good (though not better than Triports IMO), but they are hideously uncomfortable. I couldn't stand wearing them for morethan 15 minutes.

while many sit in the bash bose bandwagon, you sit in the bose conquers all bandwagon. hop off it, its getting annoying.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 19
ChineseKiwi - Im kind of all over the place as far as music styles go...I have alittle electronic, country, post hardcore, punk, rock. Stuff like that...
What is your avatar from?

Ham Sandwich - I thought about that problem as well, as far as having not enough power to drive the headphones. We'll see, Im going to bring my Ipod to the store and see what I can find.

Dec 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very few of the phones I have heard sound better than Triports. Those that do are much less comfortable, cost way more, and sound only a little better.

I reccomend that you stick with Bose and just get a new pair.

(Personally, I am going to try A900s to see if they combine equal comfort with somewhat better sound, but they are about twice the price of the Triports.)

Here, I'll send you my $4.99 Koss KSC clip-ons. They should sound a bit better.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back