Best album made before 1980
Apr 6, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Mia in Pulp Fiction said either you're an Elvis man or a Beatles man. Try Elvis, man.

Thanks for that, I totally forgot about that. I was just thinking I'm neither a Beatles man nor a Stones man. I am definitely an Elvis man.

So are there "Beach Boys men"?

And, of course, we all know there are "Madonna men". But that's okay. Different strokes for different folks.

I'd be a Pink Floyd man, but now we are seriously drifting away from Mia's "test".

Apr 8, 2002 at 5:04 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

>>>>>>
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by carlo
Dee formed,
is the name a ramones reference?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ha-ha, I just asked him that. You may want to do a search on "moniker AND Ramones AND reference" (and me, just to narrow things down).<<<<<

I had assumed it was "What's Happenin'"

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk

And, of course, we all know there are "Madonna men". But that's okay. Different strokes for different folks.

Hey! I'm a Madonna man...but not a "Madonna man" in the sense you are talking about.

<seinfeld>
(not that there's anything wrong with that)
</seinfeld>

Apr 9, 2002 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 72
A few of my favorites

John Mayall BLUESBREAKERS (Decca LK/SKL 4804) 1965

The 22 Robert Johnson 78 Siingles Not an album but records to cherish

Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow

John B

Apr 10, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 72
I would have to say
Kraftwerk - The Man-Machine (1978)
Very accessible album, very fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #37 of 72
Some of the early Steely Dan ranks right up there..."Can't Buy A Thrill" or "Countdown To Ecstasy".

Jun 10, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by RMSzero
So I told my friend, hey man, I'm not into the Beatles, they just aren't my thing. He then replied "Oh, well that means you probably like the Rolling Stones. Everyone is either a Beatles man or a Stones man."

I was like um, no. Rolling Stones has never done much for me either.

Mia in Pulp Fiction said either you're an Elvis man or a Beatles man. Try Elvis, man.
Sixteen years later...I like the Beatles now. How is everyone?

Jun 18, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #41 of 72
The is not correct answer for "best before 80",

and what genre?

If Pop....

The First 6 Queen Albums.

Alan Parson's I-Robot

Pink Floyd's - Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall.

Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

Boston - 1st Album

Abba - Greatest Hits

The Beatles - Greatest Hits

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

Really, there is no end to the list, so, i'll just stop.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #42 of 72
Strange thread. Should maybe read "Name any truly great albums made after 1979'

The 60s and particuly the 70s were the pinnacle for music, at least rock, and pop music. [edit.. and Folk, Singer-song writer etc)

Answer for me... Too many to choose but if push comes to shove then there can only be one ... The, sorry, but fairly obvious not particuly original; the ubiquitous, over played but perfect and peerless. :. Dark Side of the Moon

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #43 of 72
First off, I hate the word 'Best'.

My favourite Album pre-1980 is probably 'Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left' (1969). It will probably surprise people here as I'm primarily a Metalhead and also because it's not considered his 'best' Album.

But, hell, it feels as fresh and utterly beguiling as the first day I played it circa 1977.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #44 of 72
Agree it is a wonderful album by a gentle genius who was taken from us far too early

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #45 of 72
Strange thread. Should maybe read "Name any truly great albums made after 1979'

The 60s and particuly the 70s were the pinnacle for music, at least rock, and pop music. [edit.. and Folk, Singer-song writer etc)

This is almost exactly what I was going to say. I feel like after the 1970s there is almost nothing worth listening to.

I became an old fart while I wasn't paying attention....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back