Best Active Speakers
Jun 12, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #91 of 105
Quote:
Their price/performance ratio is outrageous. You're paying for the branding and the georgous design. IMO they got pretty much the perfected audio for the average consumer (with a phat wallet). Very likeable sound that is very enjoyable/easy to listen to. Calling out their products as being 90% design and 10% is pretty narrow minded,Its more likely that your are paying a large margin for the design than the audio. The audio/quality itself is fine.

Now, I'm not defending B&O in any shape or form, I don't really see anyone else but unkowledged people or people with money to blow going out buying a B&O product. With that being said, I was still surprised over the quality you'll end up getting if you go with my previous mentioned setup, especially if you consider the price you'll end up paying. (If you find yourself a bargain, so the speak.)

In fact, I believe I am being generous with the percentages I provided. I think it is closer to 99% design and 1% performance. B&O's price performance ratio is probably one of the worst you will ever come across. You can find many cheaper alternatives with significantly better specifications and performance. I mean their 17000 GBP flagship 65 inch TV is worse than Samsung's 65 inch TV at 2500 pounds. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #92 of 105
In fact, I believe I am being generous with the percentages I provided. I think it is closer to 99% design and 1% performance. B&O's price performance ratio is probably one of the worst you will ever come across. You can find many cheaper alternatives with significantly better specifications and performance. I mean their 17000 GBP flagship 65 inch TV is worse than Samsung's 65 inch TV at 2500 pounds. 
We all got our opinions, man. I really don't see why try to continue this argument in a thread about a guy asking for a pair of speakers. What the hell does a TV comparison have anything to do with the thread subject?!

On the side note, It all depends on how much you think the design is worth. You are buying art, much like a painting or a sculpture, and we all already know how much a well appreciated painting can go for.

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #93 of 105
Quote:
Agree 1000%

The real Genelecs would fit your requirements perfectly, but are out of your price range. Maybe try to find a pair of used Genelecs since there project studios are always getting shut down these days.

I do have to point out that I am basing this opinion on many many hours of listening to a pair of Genelec 1032A monitors which list for around $2400 (each).
You might also be able to find some Adam S2X monitors used for your price range. I think the X-Art ribbon tweeters are phenomenal.
The Dynaudio BM15A's are about $1200 (each) and are very musical. Just make sure to get matching left and right models because they are not the same.
smily_headphones1.gif

Agree 10,000%, Genelecs all the way!
beerchug.gif

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:58 AM Post #95 of 105
After reading through this thread, I'm actually really surprised that there's only one recommendation for ATC actives, and that it took 6 pages to get it... A disproportionate number of the world's best studios (think Blackbird Studios in Nashville, etc) use ATCs, and in the (admittedly few) conversations I've had with studio engineers, ATCs are generally considered the gold standard for accuracy. They are pretty expensive, but I picked up a pair of ATC SCM 10-2A monitors for $1600 used a couple of years ago, and they are spectacularly neutral and resolving. In fact, I went to audition a pair of $12k B&W speakers one time and was surprised to find that were not more timbrally accurate nor resolving than the ATCs-- in fact, the only thing I could find that they did appreciably better was imaging. It can be difficult to audition them in some places (even Nashville with all its pro audio heritage didn't have a dealer until about 2 months ago), but I find them to be completely worth the effort to get a listen. 

In case anyone is interested: 

ATC Homepage
ATC Forum

As an aside, when I purchased the 10-2A, I bought them from an engineer in Nashville and met him at his home studio to pick them up. While there, we talked about some of his other gear and I got a chance to listen to some stuff on his setup, and he had a few sets of other ATCs and Genelecs (and a few other things, don't recall what they all were) stacked up around the room, and his impression was that there were other speakers (like Genelecs) that could be more cost effective, but that nothing beat the ATCs for fidelity. My experience in speakers is certainly going to be far more modest than many other members here, but I've found nothing to indicate the existence of better sound than ATC provides thus far. 

Hope this helps!

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #96 of 105
In addition to other suggestions above, let me add mines. Two european monitor brands (I know it seems like a shameless plug to get the economy going here, but please bear with me) :
http://www.me-geithain.de/index.php/en/studio/products/active-loudspeaker
http://www.psiaudio.com/products
Both are pretty expensive, starting at around 2400 euros / pair (PSI A17 or Geithain RL906). But I was a fair bit impressed by what they produced when I tried them. Apparently it's a little difficult to find them outside Europe though, but I sincerely believe they're worth a listen if possible.

In more general terms I have the feeling active speakers are likely to give you more bang for your buck for most applications.

Jul 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #97 of 105
I have a pair of Paradigm Active 40's, which in their heyday were a fantastic deal.  To this day, they continue to hold their value well on audiogon, etc.  Still i wholeheartedly recommend them as a good intro speaker for someone looking to explore actives as an alternative to the traditional route.  They've been such a good ride, I won't ever spend the extra dough to go for separates.  

When the wife let's me, I really want to try the PTE Phoenix active speaker:

http://pteacoustics.com/

Jul 17, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #98 of 105
I second Theogenes. ATC are the best active monitors IMHO. Their midrange driver is probably one of the best in the world - if not the best :). I myself own a pair of PTE acoustics Phoenic monitors and apart from ATC these are the best Ive heard.

Jul 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #99 of 105
I hadn't heard of PTE prior to the recommendations in this thread, but after doing a little web searching, I plan to audition them someday. Thanks for the rec!

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #100 of 105
Im going with 2.1 rather than full range 3 way powered monitors. better separation and more control. much better in long run.

my 2nd studio room is the whos who of common active monitors. I have spent $1k's on adams as well as sky and jbl 2.1 systems but my favorite which is not so fragile are my economy mackies with my outlaw 12. iv been swithing around from my sky 2.1 to my Mackie, adams and jbls all new up to date with my fathom 10 then outlaw12 now my cv lw12's which running a pair is interesting. Mind you I run a true 14.2 ss media room with crown 2500 on chorus 2's and a bgw 750g on 2 radian rcs118's(in large cabs) then center are 2 klipsch professional 2502 stacked powered by a modded yaqin10l and that only part of the front. my prestige 225&325's are my peaceful time.

I suggest getting the small Mackies if your looking to buy. I hate powered 8;s unless its a velodyne powered sub..

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #101 of 105
I also have to give props to my little Dynaudio desktop actives. They are very good.  Cant remember the model designation, but they dont offer them anymore anyway.  

But I have seen their 110 model bookshelf actives on clearance.  Do a search.  I wish they had been on clearance when I got mine.  

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #103 of 105
The KEFs aren't active monitors. 

I'm curious about the Unity Audio The Rock speakers. ELAC drivers with E.A.R. amps built in. A friend described them to me as "ruthless".

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #104 of 105
Quote:
The KEFs aren't active monitors. 

I'm curious about the Unity Audio The Rock speakers. ELAC drivers with E.A.R. amps built in. A friend described them to me as "ruthless".

Just looked those up, pretty interesting! Tim de Paravicini-designed amps is a neat touch... Any guy with a beard like that just has to know something the rest of us don't. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back