Best Active Speakers
May 17, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #76 of 105
You're a braver man than I - buying speakers off e-bay. Granted, there are reputable sellers and there are shonks, but it seems like one piece of kit I would have to audition first. 

May 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #77 of 105
Quote:
You're a braver man than I - buying speakers off e-bay. Granted, there are reputable sellers and there are shonks, but it seems like one piece of kit I would have to audition first. 

Active studio monitors are pretty rare on Audiogon, so eBay is usually the best place to find them. The buyer beware rule always applies, but I had no issues with the Dynaudios. They arrived in their original packaging as advertised without a scratch. I sold them on eBay for the same $1200 once I decided I didn't like them.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #81 of 105
I bought the kh120's not long ago and I must say I'm really impressed. I am using them with my balanced dac as basically hi-end computer speakers if u will - 95% for music. I cant pump them too loud due to neighbours and I feel they deserve to be let loose more. They have some big gonads for small monitors.They pump. 
I was worried they would be too linear/flat since they are monitors but fear not, these are really musical for a super accurate presentation.
Highly recommended.

Aug 6, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #83 of 105
Quote:
HK GLA-55 looks amazing. Mixed reviews though.

I actually just ordered a refurbished pair from Harman for $499.  I did a lot of research, and they may not be worth the $999 new (I wouldn't have bought them at that price), but from what I have gleaned from the few reviews I have found, they should be pretty impressive at the $499 price I paid...at least I hope so.  Some reviews thought they were very much worth it at full price, and some thought it was not so much worth it. 

I honestly think, and this is of course complete conjecture, that they probably didn't so much get a fair chance due to the knee-jerk reaction to this type of speaker... I mean honestly when looking at them many people will automatically just think "oh give me a break..." 

I predict that I will find them to be quite impressive for what they are, and nothing more, but at least a good deal for the price I paid.  Hopefully I am surprised in a positive way.

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #84 of 105
I got the impression that the most favorable reviews came from people who didn't have much to compare it to. The more experienced reviewers seemed to rate it well, but not amazingly. I do think they should sound very good for their price.

Keep us updated!
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #85 of 105
Well, they have officially shipped, should be here by Thursday
bigsmile_face.gif
.  I have been doing more research, and I did find another positive review that's not really of a "commercial" type.   He doesn't so much compare it to his other equipment, but he seems to be more experienced with higher end speakers and finds the GLA-55 impressive enough to include in his favorites, which is a positive sign. 

http://www.hifi-advice.com/hk-gla55-review.html

Jun 7, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #86 of 105
 If there are no budgetary restraints I nominate the atc scm 150.I have heard the atc scm 100 and that was a impressive speaker.I heard it in a large loft playing back a count basie recording.It sounded like the band was in the room literally.The 100s can play loud and clean and has realistic dynamics.I have purchased the emotiva stealth 8s myself and so far though they are not completely fleshed in things do sound promising.Unfortunately emotiva has lowered the sale price an additional 40 dollars apiecs(damn the thirty day free trial period is over on mine).But even though they cost me 80 dollars more I still think they were worth the cost.
  I have made some comments on another blog about the stealth 8s but I still have to flesh them in abit before I can make any final assessments of there performance.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #87 of 105
Quote:
 If there are no budgetary restraints I nominate the atc scm 150.I have heard the atc scm 100 and that was a impressive speaker.I heard it in a large loft playing back a count basie recording.It sounded like the band was in the room literally.The 100s can play loud and clean and has realistic dynamics.I have purchased the emotiva stealth 8s myself and so far though they are not completely fleshed in things do sound promising.Unfortunately emotiva has lowered the sale price an additional 40 dollars apiecs(damn the thirty day free trial period is over on mine).But even though they cost me 80 dollars more I still think they were worth the cost.
  I have made some comments on another blog about the stealth 8s but I still have to flesh them in abit before I can make any final assessments of there performance.

Nobody seems to mention Focal speakers. They are also very impressive.

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #88 of 105
Best value for your money? I got a rather weird suggestion that I'm currently rocking. :)

Get out and try finding a Bang & Olufsen 32inch Avant TV, It is equipped with a pair of WONDERFUL active speakers, great clarity and impactful bass! If you don't mind a ****** giant piece of art standing next to whatever you gonne use it with, Its your best bang for ya buck!

(I'm on the lookout for my second one. I plan to split the signal to get them going as a pair of stereo speakers next to my computer rig. I really gonne have to make some space tho :/)

I've actually seen a handfull of people who is throwing them out since they don't appreciate CRT technology anymore. As a retro gamer, I own over 8 B&O CRT TVs, they are wonderful for my purpose.

If you want, the option to take out the speakers is also there for more efficient storage. Just make sure its the 32 inch model since the 28 inch one got a pair of cheaper speakers ^^

Jun 11, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #89 of 105
Quote:
Best value for your money? I got a rather weird suggestion that I'm currently rocking.
smily_headphones1.gif

Get out and try finding a Bang & Olufsen 32inch Avant TV, It is equipped with a pair of WONDERFUL active speakers, great clarity and impactful bass! If you don't mind a ****** giant piece of art standing next to whatever you gonne use it with, Its your best bang for ya buck!

(I'm on the lookout for my second one. I plan to split the signal to get them going as a pair of stereo speakers next to my computer rig. I really gonne have to make some space tho :/)

I've actually seen a handfull of people who is throwing them out since they don't appreciate CRT technology anymore. As a retro gamer, I own over 8 B&O CRT TVs, they are wonderful for my purpose.

If you want, the option to take out the speakers is also there for more efficient storage. Just make sure its the 32 inch model since the 28 inch one got a pair of cheaper speakers ^^

I have found that Bang & Olufsen is 90 percent design and 10 percent quality. I have been to multiple B & O showrooms and owned some of their stuff. Their sound quality never amazed me.

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #90 of 105
I have found that Bang & Olufsen is 90 percent design and 10 percent quality. I have been to multiple B & O showrooms and owned some of their stuff. Their sound quality never amazed me.
Their price/performance ratio is outrageous. You're paying for the branding and the georgous design. IMO they got pretty much the perfected audio for the average consumer (with a phat wallet). Very likeable sound that is very enjoyable/easy to listen to. Calling out their products as being 90% design and 10% is pretty narrow minded,Its more likely that your are paying a large margin for the design than the audio. The audio/quality itself is fine.

Now, I'm not defending B&O in any shape or form, I don't really see anyone else but unkowledged people or people with money to blow going out buying a B&O product. With that being said, I was still surprised over the quality you'll end up getting if you go with my previous mentioned setup, especially if you consider the price you'll end up paying. (If you find yourself a bargain, so the speak.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back