Best $500 Headphones?
May 19, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #61 of 68
I'm not arguing against that. For myself, I'd pick the 650's over the 900's any day (though I'd probably take the T50rp's first). I'm talking about someone that is new to high-end audio that as far as I can tell, is a basshead. Yes, the 650 is better, but isn't the signature or the design (open/closed) that he's looking for. I wouldn't say the 650's are bass light, but I'm sure he very well may if he heard them. Usually people in this position are looking for headphones like the XB500, HFI-580, etc, which have lotsa bass.

Recommending a 650 for a newbie basshead is like recommending a Lotus for someone who only cares about the 0-60 time. Yes, the Lotus is overall the better car, it can handle, turn, it's nimble and fast. But, that person would be better suited to a big V8 car because all he wants is acceleration.

Point taken, it's up to him really.

May 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #62 of 68
Quote:
I can get up to 80 percent of the hd650's potential straight out of my sansa clip+ even at close to max volume.

Then that goes against what everyone from Mike @Headfonia's to Tyll at Innerfidelity say... but like you say... it's a fallacy.... :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoy your Senns....

May 19, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #63 of 68
Then that goes against what everyone from Mike @Headfonia's to Tyll at Innerfidelity say... but like you say... it's a fallacy.... :rolleyes:

Glad you enjoy your Senns....

Lol, what do they say?
That the hd650s need a 200$+ designated amp to sound good? I don't think so.
It can be driven fine even from my hifiman hm602.
Do I need measurements to satisfy you hmm?

May 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #64 of 68
Nop.
That the HD650s are one of the most "scalable" headphones there is (i.e. they keep showing their colors when upgrading amps...) Measurements are a double-edge sword btw. They can give a general idea but never equals perfectly what one hears (again debatable...)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/are-objective-headphone-measurements-relevant-audiophiles-subjective-experience

biggrin.gif

May 20, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #65 of 68
Just to chime in quickly, but I wouldn't dare to amplify HD650 without either a very high end tube amp, or a balanced amplifier (much more expensive than 200$). Otherwise I wouldn't be saying that I listened to the HD650 for real. They are one of the hardest phones to drive at full potential.
There are lots of references if using search function (catscratch's posts being among the most useful).

Cheers!!

May 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #66 of 68
Just to chime in quickly, but I wouldn't dare to amplify HD650 without either a very high end tube amp, or a balanced amplifier (much more expensive than 200$). Otherwise I wouldn't be saying that I listened to the HD650 for real. They are one of the hardest phones to drive at full potential.
There are lots of references if using search function (catscratch's posts being among the most useful).

Cheers!!

And once again, I respectfully disagree.
Do you own said high-end balanced amp and the hd650 in conjunction?
I run the hd650 out of my isabellina and they sound phenomenal. Much better than out of the ms2+/o2 combo? No.

Sep 15, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #68 of 68
Quote:
And once again, I respectfully disagree.
Do you own said high-end balanced amp and the hd650 in conjunction?
I run the hd650 out of my isabellina and they sound phenomenal. Much better than out of the ms2+/o2 combo? No.

I respect your viewpoint about the 650's but you are quite a bit over zealous about defending them...  I don't think 1 person here has disagreed with you about the 650's being a great pair of cans!

That being said, the TC is not an audiophile (yet), you could have just recommended a pair of m50's and he would have loved them!  That would have left him 400+ dollars to decide what he wants to upgrade into.  I might get flamed for saying this, but a lot of you guys here really lose sight of what is actually important, the music itself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back