Best $500 Headphones?
May 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #33 of 68
I think he said the HRT is too big, as he wants to use this on-the-go as well.
I also wouldn't say the HD650's are good for portability because they're open-back. Do they fold up?

Nope, they're fairly small housing-wise and pretty light like I said.
Since he's including an amp/dac, he's not really going to be needing true portability anyways.
I personally find the hd650>pro 900 technically by far.

May 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #35 of 68
Quote:
Nope, they're fairly small housing-wise and pretty light like I said.
Since he's including an amp/dac, he's not really going to be needing true portability anyways.
I personally find the hd650>pro 900 technically by far.

But would you use open headphones on a bus? On a subway? On the street? I wouldn't. If he were looking for a desktop-only solution, I'd change his whole setup in the blink of an eye, but since he seems to be focusing on an on-the-go setup, I'd have to rule out open cans personally.

The fiio amps he's looking at are very portable, much smaller than a cellphone.

May 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #36 of 68
I'd recommend HD600/650 over the Ultrasone 900 any time.... because Ultrasone seems to be those that is either loved or hated... whereas Senn is right in the middle sound signature wise, and also presents better refinement and detail than the 900.

the only drawback that I can see right now.. is that 6XXs are open design.. but to be honest... closed design won't be sufficient for outside activities either, unless you want to destroy your ears with absurdly high volume.

why haven't anyone mentioned the K70Xs... I believe they are on-par with the HD6XXs.

May 18, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #38 of 68
Open design in the bus? Infront of others in quieter environments? Really?

May 18, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #40 of 68
Will you care if you can hear everything around you?

As for Senn for rap, I'm not too sure, they won't have as much bass as you're used to (for rap/hip hop).
If the size of a 650 would be acceptable, I'd point you towards a D5000. Closed (mostly), very comfortable, and they're well known for their bass.
However, they're not a headphone to abuse, they don't fold (like the 650), and they are fairly large (like the 650).

Could you expand on how portable you want these to be and what you're looking for in a headphone (sound-wise)?
I wouldn't walk around with something as large as the 650 or D5000 every day, so I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend either of them. How often will you be wearing them outside? Would a long (10 feet or so) cable bother you? Would hearing all the outside noise bother you? Are you looking for a lot of bass, a bit, no bass? Mids? Highs? Anything you listen to other than rap/hip hop? Is there anything noisy at home when you're playing games?

May 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

The Ultrasone Pro 900 are a good headphone option. It has a nice V-shape sound and it should do well with music, games and movies. The Fiio E11 seems like a good portable amp from what I've read. But they would be unusable on the PC (unless you connect a 3.5mm cable from the sound card to the Fiio and I'm not sure if you'll notice any improvement...).

You could only use your headphones with the PS3 if your Home Theater receiver has a headphone out slot, or if your TV has a headphone Out....

Personally I would recommend:

1) For PS3 --> http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B0053OLY9O

2) For music on the go: Shure SRH 840s, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80, or you mentioned the Ultrasone Pro 900...

3) For music listening, gaming and movies on your PC: The same headphone you buy on #2 and the microphone we listed already. Just use your PC sound card for connecting everything, you DON'T need an amp! If you DO want an amp, you can get an DAC/AMP combo such as: Fiio E17 or any other.

The total for all of this should be somewhere along the $500 budget you mentioned IF you find the Ultrasone Pro 900s for cheap!!

Maybe others will weigh in on recommendations.

I still stand by my recommendation! LOL :wink:

He is just getting into headphones, I wouldn't walk around with some HD650/600s nor Denons D5000s... (which is why I opted to recommend SRH840s and Beyers DT 770 first...) Maybe he still hasn't dialed in the "sound" he is looking for. Starting "cheap" is the way to go (even though the Ultrasone 900 is not cheap, if found at a good price it's a good buy.)

just my .02 cents.

May 18, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #42 of 68
Quote:
Will you care if you can hear everything around you?

As for Senn for rap, I'm not too sure, they won't have as much bass as you're used to (for rap/hip hop).
If the size of a 650 would be acceptable, I'd point you towards a D5000. Closed (mostly), very comfortable, and they're well known for their bass.
However, they're not a headphone to abuse, they don't fold (like the 650), and they are fairly large (like the 650).

Could you expand on how portable you want these to be and what you're looking for in a headphone (sound-wise)?
I wouldn't walk around with something as large as the 650 or D5000 every day, so I'm somewhat reluctant to recommend either of them. How often will you be wearing them outside? Would a long (10 feet or so) cable bother you? Would hearing all the outside noise bother you? Are you looking for a lot of bass, a bit, no bass? Mids? Highs? Anything you listen to other than rap/hip hop? Is there anything noisy at home when you're playing games?

D5Ks are definately good recommendation... but I just don't know about the idea of bring woodies outside... if you get a scuff on the HD6XXs you will probably get over it in one or two days... but if you get a scuff on the wood cup...ohhhh... you will never ever get over it... I still think about the stupid things that got me the two almost non-visible dents on the WKX cups...

and, yes. D5K's sound signature fits your description very well.. but I disagree on that the HD650s lack bass. just because they are open, doesn't mean they don't have the lower end. however.. the open design might "distort" the sound stage of the music you listen to... because HD6XXs have quite wide sound stage.. and the type of musics you listen to will sound a bit strange with big sound stage.

the best solution? audition both headphones if possible..

and 900 is a good choice if you know you are stuck on certain type of music... but if you ever change your preference.. they will end up in the drawer.. HD6XXs and D5Ks are better all-arounder.. so I'd recommend to start with them instead of the 900s, not saying they are bad.. just that they only appeal to a very limited genre..

May 18, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #43 of 68
The hd650 is not bass-shy nor is it large.
Period. Those statements seem to be regurgitated a lot regarding the open hd6xx series.
You'll have to be a basshead to want more emphasized bass than what the hd650 already has.

May 18, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:
The hd650 is not bass-shy nor is it large.
Period. Those statements seem to be regurgitated a lot regarding the open hd6xx series.
You'll have to be a basshead to want more emphasized bass than what the hd650 already has.

And he said he pretty much only listens to rap and hip-hop, very basshead genres. It's why I asked him how much bass he wanted.

I was saying they would be bass light for his needs, which they may be.

May 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #45 of 68
Ok so I just found the pros for $250 with a warranty so I will be getting those. Also, for my amp would a O2 for home and an E11 for travel be good?

EDIT: Also thank you so much for all the replies you are all very helpful and I cant wait until I too can be helpful :)!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back