Best 5.1/7.1 amps... Mixamp (5.8)/turtle beach or what?
Jan 8, 2011 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Vader815

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for the absolute best amp to use on my ps3. I've posted semi-similar topics prior, but I thought it best to ask directly.

I just bought the HD595's, and as they're easily driven I'll wait a bit for a general amp. However, one of their primary uses will be movies, and the idea of having a simulated surround in a headset with a decent soundstage like the 595's is very appealing, however, I've heard the mixamp 5.8 doesn't do too much (other than bass boost) different from regular dolby digital supported devices like the turtle beach (and others) except that the mixamp has chat. I couldn't possibly care less about supporting chat. 

Is there a quality difference between any such devices in terms of the sound output from blu rays? 

Thanks a bunch per usual, 

-Vader

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #2 of 6
I have a MixAmp 5.8, and the hiss is horrible.

I am using triple fi 10's, and the hiss is audible most of the time I am playing.

However, it is wireless and sounds much better than the stereo t-amp I was using before.

Tech support was pretty worthless regarding the hiss, I am going to try a line attenuator.

For $100, it's pretty hard to pass up.  I have also not tried any other headphones besides the triple fi's, with the Astro gaming headset I've heard that the hiss is minimal/non-existant.

-matt

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 6
Actually, I'd have to pay 172 total for it including shipping and the rechargable battery since I've been told by many actual batteries with it only last 10-12 hours. 

That's why I'm so interested in the dss, it's only 71 (total), and if its the same quality, I'd love to save myself a hundred bucks!

-Vader

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry to hear you're having hiss problems, terance.  I haven't noticed that with mine, though I'm using over-ear headphones (HD595s like the OP) instead of IEMs, so that might be part of it.  I have also heard of one other guy on the AVS forums who had a problem with interference between his wireless router and the Mixamp.  My router operates in a lower freq band (2.4GHz, I think), but maybe his was at 5.8GHz.  He ended up being able to force the router to use a different channel and that helped.  I just can't remember if his problem was hiss, or complete drop-outs.

As far as the batteries question, I can say that you might be able to save some money by buying a 4-pack of "Pre-charged" NiMH AAA batteries (e.g. Sanyo Eneloop) and using those instead of their rechargable battery.  From what I understand, the Mixamp will recharge these when you plug in the "play/charge" USB cable (included w/ the Mixamp).  Haven't tried this yet, but will be as of tonight (when my batteries arrive).

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Sorry to hear you're having hiss problems, terance.  I haven't noticed that with mine, though I'm using over-ear headphones (HD595s like the OP) instead of IEMs, so that might be part of it.  I have also heard of one other guy on the AVS forums who had a problem with interference between his wireless router and the Mixamp.  My router operates in a lower freq band (2.4GHz, I think), but maybe his was at 5.8GHz.  He ended up being able to force the router to use a different channel and that helped.  I just can't remember if his problem was hiss, or complete drop-outs.

As far as the batteries question, I can say that you might be able to save some money by buying a 4-pack of "Pre-charged" NiMH AAA batteries (e.g. Sanyo Eneloop) and using those instead of their rechargable battery.  From what I understand, the Mixamp will recharge these when you plug in the "play/charge" USB cable (included w/ the Mixamp).  Haven't tried this yet, but will be as of tonight (when my batteries arrive).

I may have to try this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back