Best 42 " LCD TV, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE
Jul 13, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #106 of 126
inthused;3111253 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dynamic 10809??? No idea what that is. I know the dynamic contrast ratio of these sets is something like 15000:1 which is around 3000:1 native at least. Which is very good. Quote]

My bad, its dynamic 1080"P" . That is what the display card read for the LNT4665F. And thanks again for you valued input. I will muddle thru the avs calibration posts to see if I'm comfortable there and stronly consider the set. It is right at my price range and it is a 46". I was in the avs forums in the past when I first bought my Hitachi and I have to admit, it was way over my head so I never delved into anything deeper than what I could control in the menu, which wasn't much. Besides, a pro did come out to calibrate it which took about an hour or so but he never did use any equipment talked about in the forums at that time such as a grey scale meter (if I remember right)

Don't fear the adjustments. Those are pretty easy to do since they are in the main menu. It is when you go into the service menu that it gets scary and where you can do some damage.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #107 of 126
darkninja67;3111450 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthused /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't fear the adjustments. Those are pretty easy to do since they are in the main menu. It is when you go into the service menu that it gets scary and where you can do some damage.

Sounds like Custers last words.
wink.gif

seriously darkninja, Is it necessary to go into the service menu with this set, or are the adjustments posted early in the avs thread you kindly provided all that will be necessary? I'm not much good at reading between the lines or playing with the TV's vitals.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #108 of 126
inthused, wth happened to our quotes? lol

anyway, you do not have to go into the service menu and it is advised that you don't.

Jul 13, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #109 of 126
Quote:

inthused, wth happened to our quotes? lol

anyway, you do not have to go into the service menu and it is advised that you don't.

LOL for sure. It must be Custer's ghost
biggrin.gif
It's Friday and I'm heading back to the smaller BB to see about the Sammy. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to come close to the $2200 shipped price but if it's reasonable I may go for it today. It depends on how I feel when I'm there and the price of course.
I'll post later.

Jul 13, 2007 at 4:29 PM Post #110 of 126
Quote:

LOL for sure. It must be Custer's ghost
biggrin.gif
It's Friday and I'm heading back to the smaller BB to see about the Sammy. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to come close to the $2200 shipped price but if it's reasonable I may go for it today. It depends on how I feel when I'm there and the price of course.
I'll post later.

Try looking on fatwallet or something like that for a coupon. There were 12% off coupons floating around awhile back. Good luck.

Seems the Toshibas have some screen uniformity issues right now which really sucks.

EDIT: Also, look for a "P6" within the serial number on the box if you do go Samsung. Do not let them give you just anything. The P6 is supposed to be the latest and greatest build date. Basically it was built in June.

Jul 13, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #111 of 126
Quote:

Try looking on fatwallet or something like that for a coupon. There were 12% off coupons floating around awhile back. Good luck.

Seems the Toshibas have some screen uniformity issues right now which really sucks.

EDIT: Also, look for a "P6" within the serial number on the box if you do go Samsung. Do not let them give you just anything. The P6 is supposed to be the latest and greatest build date. Basically it was built in June.

Thanks for the P6 info and here's an update on todays event.
Price was $2850 as dispayed. I waited about 20 minutes to meet and talk with the store manager. After the pleasantries and all, and the usual store's canned price restrictions, we agreed only after he looked up the $2206 price on Amazon, that the Sammy could be purchased for $2600. But I would need to have the pro come out to hook things up for $150, considering thier promo that another $100 would come of the price of the set which would now be $2500. If I went with the Master card rewards program, I would have another $120 to use for cables or whatever I wanted in the store. So, there was room to move afterall which is good, but there was one drawback,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the sony XBR setting right next to it which looked more realistic when viewing scenery.
The sammy had way too much blue tint for my taste but I'm assuming it can be adjusted to correct that.
The bright side is there is no hurry to agree to his offer, and I can look for the coupon your referring to.

I'll post again later tonite but I've gotta run to the bgame now. Kwarth, where the heck are you? I'm doing my best to buy bricks and mortar here and I'm having a tough go of it
biggrin.gif
LOL

Hate to be rude and run but I've gotta go. I'm looking forward to you guys replies when I check in later. Thanks

Jul 13, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #112 of 126
Quote:

Thanks for the P6 info and here's an update on todays event.
Price was $2850 as dispayed. I waited about 20 minutes to meet and talk with the store manager. After the pleasantries and all, and the usual store's canned price restrictions, we agreed only after he looked up the $2206 price on Amazon, that the Sammy could be purchased for $2600. But I would need to have the pro come out to hook things up for $150, considering thier promo that another $100 would come of the price of the set which would now be $2500. If I went with the Master card rewards program, I would have another $120 to use for cables or whatever I wanted in the store. So, there was room to move afterall which is good, but there was one drawback,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the sony XBR setting right next to it which looked more realistic when viewing scenery.
The sammy had way too much blue tint for my taste but I'm assuming it can be adjusted to correct that.
The bright side is there is no hurry to agree to his offer, and I can look for the coupon your referring to.

I'll post again later tonite but I've gotta run to the bgame now. Kwarth, where the heck are you? I'm doing my best to buy bricks and mortar here and I'm having a tough go of it
biggrin.gif
LOL

Hate to be rude and run but I've gotta go. I'm looking forward to you guys replies when I check in later. Thanks

yeah you are looking at non adjusted sets. The one thing you cannot adjust out is mura on the Sonys and banding on the Sharps.

Paying for "professional" installation is a joke as is spending over $100 for cables. Check out www.monoprice.com for assorted cables. Do not get raped at a retail store.

Jul 14, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #113 of 126
Quote:

yeah you are looking at non adjusted sets. The one thing you cannot adjust out is mura on the Sonys and banding on the Sharps.

Paying for "professional" installation is a joke as is spending over $100 for cables. Check out www.monoprice.com for assorted cables. Do not get raped at a retail store.

I agree about wasting the money and we discussed that also, but I did need to be polite and said I would consider the extras. There's also a $200 promo off the TV price also if I sign up for dish. Now were down to around 2300 kronies which isn't bad but I don't know if dish is the way to go. BB is really trying on this one and I have to give credit to everyone in this thread for the help I've recieved.

Heres a little side note while I'm thinking about it: I have to be honest and say when it comes to cable and internet prices in my area, it literally sucks. I'm talking $100 a month for a DVR equipped service and 5MB internet package.
evil_smiley.gif
The companies are down-right evil and getting worse. I'm thinking I'd better start researching different options in this area too.
Are there any thoughts on dish and why it would be better over cable, and I'm talking denaro too, not just the service advantage if there is any.

Jul 14, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #114 of 126
dude you are tiring us all out..buy the damn tv already and get on with your life...seriously

Jul 14, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #115 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dude you are tiring us all out..buy the damn tv already and get on with your life...seriously

He just wants to get the right tv for his situation. I can relate as I have been waiting to buy for well over a year now. TVs are pretty major purchases and some need to sort it out a bit.

Hey inthused, PM me if you have any chat clients so we can spare other members our meaningless conversation here.

Jul 14, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #116 of 126
Quote:

biggrin.gif
LOL

All the advice you need is in this thread. Read it again, take notes, and go get a great TV! BTW, don't let the salespeople control the situation. You tell them what you want and stick to your guns. The prices I quoted were from BB web site and you can expect them to honor those prices at the store. If they won't, walk away. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #117 of 126
Quote:

He just wants to get the right tv for his situation. I can relate as I have been waiting to buy for well over a year now. TVs are pretty major purchases and some need to sort it out a bit.

Hey inthused, PM me if you have any chat clients so we can spare other members our meaningless conversation here.

Quote:

kwkarth Quote:
All the advice you need is in this thread. Read it again, take notes, and go get a great TV! BTW, don't let the salespeople control the situation. You tell them what you want and stick to your guns. The prices I quoted were from BB web site and you can expect them to honor those prices at the store. If they won't, walk away. Good luck!

Thanks again guys. It will be within the next 2 weeks when I move to the new house and then make my 2 hour trip to the big BB. The small BB was an excellent education in dealing with sales managers and just what can be done on TV's. I'll PM you guys with the update so I don't disrupt impatient onlookers, LOL,and probably start another thread on the benefits of having good advice when deciding on quality toys. All your help has reduced the cash outlay jitters to a confident purchase.
I'll close with this, whichever set I get the best deal on, either the Sony XBR3/4 or the Samsung 4665F, I walk away with.
icon10.gif

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #118 of 126
Quote:

Thanks again guys. It will be within the next 2 weeks when I move to the new house and then make my 2 hour trip to the big BB. The small BB was an excellent education in dealing with sales managers and just what can be done on TV's. I'll PM you guys with the update so I don't disrupt impatient onlookers, LOL,and probably start another thread on the benefits of having good advice when deciding on quality toys. All your help has reduced the cash outlay jitters to a confident purchase.
I'll close with this, whichever set I get the best deal on, either the Sony XBR3/4 or the Samsung 4665F, I walk away with.
icon10.gif

nah, i was kidding..keep us posted..i was just chidding you into pulling the trigger..although i have 5 tvs i love them so much i always feel like buying another one..or reading about others buying one..

Jul 18, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #119 of 126
I hate to thread jack but all I need is a short answer, I got a sweet deal on a used 32" toshiba and was hoping you guys could comment on whether they make good sets, I'm not too demanding I just want a tv that looks decent with tv movies and video games, is Toshiba a respectable LCD manufacturer?

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #120 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebastian589 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate to thread jack but all I need is a short answer, I got a sweet deal on a used 32" toshiba and was hoping you guys could comment on whether they make good sets, I'm not too demanding I just want a tv that looks decent with tv movies and video games, is Toshiba a respectable LCD manufacturer?

If you don't hear back right away, be patient. This thread has 2 highly rated reviewers that will answer your question as soon as they have time. It might not hurt to give a few details about your opportunity, since they will need to know the model and price you are paying to give any advice.

And oh, we should get this out in the open right away
wink.gif
: You don't have any hunchback sibling's or need credit for the services of these great guys do you? LOL
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back