Best 42 " LCD TV, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE
Jul 5, 2007 at 4:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

inthused

500+ Head-Fier
I have to sell my 52" Hitachi RPTV, one of the last quality Hitachi's they made before going mass produced and cheaper components. This is all because I have sold my roomy house and now I am moving into a small home for the next 1-1 1/2 years on a rental basis.
I can not use this nice Big Screen any more and have to downsize to a flat-screen but I do not want to go smaller than a 42". It seems about impossible to read reviews and completely trust them so I am hoping for some real life experience from fellow headfiers on an excellent TV.

The prices of these have dropped dramatically so if possible I would love to stay around 1500-2000 dollars but I would consider more if it is definately worth while. Also since I'm not fimiliar with Plasmas, I shouldn't rule out any benefits they may offer if priced accordingly.

I really appreciate any opinions from this trusted group of "good honest people".
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 126
My 42" Hitachi plasma is very nice and a lot cheaper then the Sony or Samsung ones. If you want to go LCD, Sony is a good choice.

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 126
There is no better picture obtainable on the planet than from the Sony XBR2/3/4 series flat panel LCD's.
For your own sanity, please consider following the suggestions below.

* Buy from a local brick and mortar store
* Make sure that you get them to commit to work with you regarding exchanges, as many as ae necessary, to get a good set.
* When you take delivery of your set, make sure you carefully inspect the screen for uniformity of blacks while watching in a darkened room (no lights on)
* Watch the credits at the end of a movie for example. Inspect the screen for non uniformities such as "clouds" and "flashlights."
* If you find ANY non-uniformities, send it back for another unit.
* Repeat until satisfied.

Sony LCD's produce the best picture I have ever seen, particularly when viewed in a brightly lit room. When viewed in a darkened room however, there have been quite a number of "defective" sets shipped, in that they have non-uniformities when displaying black backgrounds. I managed to get a perfect unit on the first try, but there are many who have reported getting units with these non-uniformities. Those who have exchanged them until they received good samples are very happy with their sets, as am I.

I'm not sure why Sony has had troubles with this issue, but when you persist in getting a good unit, there is no better picture on the planet in any lighting situation regardless of technology.

Good luck!

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 126
I agree that you will get an awesome picture when you go with a Sony, but you will also pay for it. They are definitely premium priced to some other quality manufacturers out there.

Do you think you will also be buying a BluRay or HD Dvd player? If so, you will need to purchase a 1080p set. If not, you can get away with something really great that is only 1080i, but will give you an awesome HDTV picture.

I just bought a 1080i 42 inch Toshiba LCD TV and paid $1299 Canadian. The picture quality is outstanding, and quite frankly, unless you're watching side by side with a set like the Sony, you will certainly not be wanting for a better set (kind of like headphones that way).

The question to go plasma or lcd really depends on a lot of things. How much natural light is in the room where you will be watching? Do you watch a lot of fast moving sports, i.e. racing, hockey, basketball?

Jul 5, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no better picture obtainable on the planet than from the Sony XBR2/3/4 series flat panel LCD's.
For your own sanity, please consider following the suggestions below.

* Buy from a local brick and mortar store
* Make sure that you get them to commit to work with you regarding exchanges, as many as ae necessary, to get a good set.
* When you take delivery of your set, make sure you carefully inspect the screen for uniformity of blacks while watching in a darkened room (no lights on)
* Watch the credits at the end of a movie for example. Inspect the screen for non uniformities such as "clouds" and "flashlights."
* If you find ANY non-uniformities, send it back for another unit.
* Repeat until satisfied.

Sony LCD's produce the best picture I have ever seen, particularly when viewed in a brightly lit room. When viewed in a darkened room however, there have been quite a number of "defective" sets shipped, in that they have non-uniformities when displaying black backgrounds. I managed to get a perfect unit on the first try, but there are many who have reported getting units with these non-uniformities. Those who have exchanged them until they received good samples are very happy with their sets, as am I.

I'm not sure why Sony has had troubles with this issue, but when you persist in getting a good unit, there is no better picture on the planet in any lighting situation regardless of technology.

Good luck!

this sounds like great advice so I'll have to check with Best Buy on thier policy concerning perfect LCD's. I would think they should agree to these terms.

Singapura, thanks for your opinion also. I've always been impressed when looking at plasmas but never thought they would be affordable for a larger screen from a quality mfg. I may be wrong though since they are dropping in price as well.

Is it ok to talk price in these posts since it isn't head-fi gear we're discussing? If it is ok please share the market rates or what you paid, that will help anyone viewing this thread.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that you will get an awesome picture when you go with a Sony, but you will also pay for it. They are definitely premium priced to some other quality manufacturers out there.

Do you think you will also be buying a BluRay or HD Dvd player? If so, you will need to purchase a 1080p set. If not, you can get away with something really great that is only 1080i, but will give you an awesome HDTV picture.

I just bought a 1080i 42 inch Toshiba LCD TV and paid $1299 Canadian. The picture quality is outstanding, and quite frankly, unless you're watching side by side with a set like the Sony, you will certainly not be wanting for a better set (kind of like headphones that way).

The question to go plasma or lcd really depends on a lot of things. How much natural light is in the room where you will be watching? Do you watch a lot of fast moving sports, i.e. racing, hockey, basketball?

rlanger, thanks, I just posted and read yours. It must be ok to post pricing and i appreciate yours. I understand what you mean about being happy with the picture if you aren't comparing side by side. Unless it's just a plain crappy picture, it going to look great until you see a better one right next to it. Kinda like your first girlfriend, best looking girl in school
icon10.gif
until you meet the new girl that just moved in next door
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
all of a sudden you realize you were dating inferior merchandise
evil_smiley.gif
No offense meant ladies as I'm sure it's happened to you too when the new guy moved in next door!
As far as fast moving motions,,,, if price and perfect picture can be achieved, I would be happy as he**.
rlanger, In your opinion just how different is the picture quality?

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthused /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rlanger, In your opinion just how different is the picture quality?

Well, from what I've discovered in my research, there are a couple of issues.

Overall, I believe that lcd provides a better picture than plasma (one reason why sony no longer makes plasmas). However, plasmas will offer better performance in certain situations, e.g. for fast moving sports (no ghosting of images). They do suffer greatly from reflection in a bright room though.

I went with lcd because I don't have any lighting issues in my room and I'm not terribly bothered by the ghosting. Also, it was just such a great deal that I couldn't pass on it.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #8 of 126
Quote:

Overall, I believe that lcd provides a better picture than plasma (one reason why sony no longer makes plasmas). However, plasmas will offer better performance in certain situations, e.g. for fast moving sports (no ghosting of images). They do suffer greatly from reflection in a bright room though.

I went with lcd because I don't have any lighting issues in my room and I'm not terribly bothered by the ghosting. Also, it was just such a great deal that I couldn't pass on it.

Is it the LCD that suffers in bright rooms?
Also it seems the push is for
1080P over I if for no other reason than the industry is going true HD very soon. The savings is very entising for 1080I but here again it's another confusion when selecting a new flat panel.
Then there's the life of the unit, should LCD be the better choice?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 126
Quote:

1080P over I if for no other reason than the industry is going true HD very soon. The savings is very entising for 1080I but here again it's another confusion when selecting a new flat panel.

The LCD tv that suffers from bright rooms is the Samsung LN-T4665F which has a mirror-like surface compared to other LCD tvs. If you have lighting control and get a 4665F with a good motherboard and firmware number then you cannot beat the picture. These sets produce the blackest blacks I have seen on a LCD tv.

I would definitely go 1080p if looking to future use of Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or PC use. If it is just for watching HDTV then a good 720p/1080i set is fine.

Samsung is coming out with the 81 series soon. They are supposed to have a 100000:1 CR (I assume dynamic contrast ratio) with local LED dimming. These will probably be THE set to get if they have no issues.

Most if not all makes of LCDs have issues right no.

As for the life of the tv, chances are you will be upgrading your tv before it comes close to the 60000 hour mark. We will see 52" LCDs under $2000 probably within a year or two. I think you can get some right now under $3000 easily.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 126
Quote:

Trust me, there are no motional artifacts inherent to the technology used in the Sony LCD panels and the newest XBR4's have double the refresh rate to allow for even better display of film based original material.

As far as performance in a dark room... The best plasmas can and do look very, very, very good in a darkened room, but I encourage you to look at the Sony LCD XBR2/3/4 next to any plasma on the market in any lighting conditions, dark or light. You're the one that has to look at the picture of whatever you buy every day. Pick what looks best to you!

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 126
Quote:

Pick what looks best to you!

QFT

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 126
Quote:

It's plasma that can suffer from reflection. Plasmas have a glass front whcih reflects light, but as kwkarth says, they can look very good in a dark room.

I'm not sure that we'll see 1080p for broadcast TV anytime soon and I don't watch a lot of movies, so don't intend on buying an HD DVD or BluRay player, that's why I went with 1080i.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The LCD tv that suffers from bright rooms is the Samsung LN-T4665F which has a mirror-like surface compared to other LCD tvs. If you have lighting control and get a 4665F with a good motherboard and firmware number then you cannot beat the picture. These sets produce the blackest blacks I have seen on a LCD tv.

I would definitely go 1080p if looking to future use of Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or PC use. If it is just for watching HDTV then a good 720p/1080i set is fine.

Samsung is coming out with the 81 series soon. They are supposed to have a 100000:1 CR (I assume dynamic contrast ratio) with local LED dimming. These will probably be THE set to get if they have no issues.

Most if not all makes of LCDs have issues right no.

True, most LCD's have issues of one sort or another. The newest Samsungs are reputed to suffer from pillaring. If there are some that do not display that artifact, then it's no doubt a good pick, just as a perfect sample of a Sony XBR2/3/4/5. The newest generation Sony's and Samsungs's are posting improved contrast ratios over the previous generations. Caveat emptor. Study to know how the CR specs are qualified from brand to brand, model to model. There are considerable differences between standards of measurement used, so it's difficult to use that metric as a standard of comparison. BTW, Sony and Samsung share the same factory for LCD panel production. I would expect the biggest difference between them would be in the processing, signal conditioning, and overall engineering of the rest of the set. There are differences. Again, let your eyes be your guide. Beware of mis-adjusted sets in any store, particularly big box stores. Notoriously, big box stores showcase mis-adjusted sets and excel in mis-informed sales people. Poorly adjusting even the best sets can make them look terrible. Conversly, properly adjusting even the worst of the sets can make them look remarkably good.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 126
Quote:

True, most LCD's have issues of one sort or another. The newest Samsungs are reputed to suffer from pillaring. If there are some that do not display that artifact, then it's no doubt a good pick, just as a perfect sample of a Sony XBR2/3/4/5.

The pillaring is not an issues they really talk about in the Sammy threads. That is fixed by lessening the brightness level. The HDMI handshake issues are a much more prevalent problem, but it seems Samsung is fixing it with newer mobos and FW.
The Sonys have major issues with clouding as you should know. The Sharps have problems with banding during certain viewing methods. The new Toshibas seem to have an issues with a green cast or push.

I live in the LCD forum at Avs. Trying to see which model will be my next tv.

EDIT: I also agree with kwkarth as to not judge a tv by a retail showroom. The lighting is usually horrendous as are the settings.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #15 of 126
This is great guys. I (and hopefully many other viewers) are learning alot about flat panels.
I should clarify what I will be using the new set for, and apologize for not sharing this earlier, that being 95% CATV and 5% rented DVD movies.
If 1080P is not worth the extra expense I really don't have to have since I would like to stay around $2000 or under if possible.
Thanks again, and please continue with the educational process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back