Best 42 " LCD TV, PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE
Jul 12, 2007 at 10:40 PM Post #91 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthused /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than not being a flat screen, are there any thoughts about this suggestion on a thinner RP 1080P?

Homeless, just how thin are they making them now?

My set is listed on the sony site at 17.63" deep...not too bad really. I have always felt that you should really only buy a flat panel if you intend to hang it, or if space is really going to be an issue...

Seriously though, give the Sony SXRD's a look...

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #92 of 126
you seem to have sparked my interest by talking 1080P, good price, and raving reviews on AVS . Were you able to view it next to any Lcd's discussed here? I just measures my RP and it came in at 25+ " which yours is thinner for sure but I will be moving into a small living room home so a flat screen is what i should try to end up with.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:47 PM Post #93 of 126
I just posted above you there...it's listed as 17.63" deep. I looked at similar models yeah. I just went to as many stores as I could and looked at as many sets as I could. I understand where you're coming from though. You want to make sure that you get something you're going to be in love with when you're spending that kind of coin on a TV.

Best Buy has the SXRD's although the model number has changed. Mine is an a2000, and now they are a2020's. It's the same set just the case is now black instead of silver like mine. It's 1080p in a 50", 55", 60" and then there is a 70" XBR. The sets only accept 1080p through HDMI although it does an amazing job upscaling anything it's fed that is HD (720p or 1080i) up to it's native resolution.

It's not a superb pic, but here is my set...

1002122jw2.jpg

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #94 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just posted above you there...it's listed as 17.63" deep. I looked at similar models yeah. I just went to as many stores as I could and looked at as many sets as I could. I understand where you're coming from though. You want to make sure that you get something you're going to be in love with when you're spending that kind of coin on a TV.

Best Buy has the SXRD's although the model number has changed. Mine is an a2000, and now they are a2020's. It's the same set just the case is now black instead of silver like mine. It's 1080p in a 50", 55", 60" and then there is a 70" XBR. The sets only accept 1080p through HDMI although it does an amazing job upscaling anything it's fed that is HD (720p or 1080i) up to it's native resolution.

It's not a superb pic, but here is my set...

1002122jw2.jpg

Yeh, were sorta stumbling over each other here, as I edited my last post once I read your earlier one. Anyway, are you sure the only difference is the black case? BTW, i'm off for a short while and will check back in later this evening so by all means post away. PS, Homeless, I think I'd better focus on the flatpanels but I appreciate your help. Your set looks nice in the den and if I had that kind of room I wouldn't be narrowing down my choices. Enjoy your nice toy.

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #95 of 126
Yeah that's all. Sony re-released it in black and the newer SXRD's are supposed to be out in October I think so you may be able to get one of these cheaper if stores are looking to move the old for the new...

Jul 12, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #96 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's all. Sony re-released it in black and the newer SXRD's are supposed to be out in October I think so you may be able to get one of these cheaper if stores are looking to move the old for the new...

I edited my last post.

And thanks for the Sony heads-up
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #98 of 126
Quote:

Other than not being a flat screen, are there any thoughts about this suggestion on a thinner RP 1080P?

Homeless, just how thin are they making them now?

I know of some DLPs that are around 13" deep or thinner.
The trouble with micro displays is that off axis viewing sucks. This is a fact if anyone with DLP even wants to argue. The light falloff if you stand up is incredible. You really have to be eye level with this type of display.

Changing bulbs is not fun. They say you love a DLP until you have to change or replace a bulb. Yeah I know about the LED DLPs which are the only models I would buy if I had to.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #99 of 126
Quote:

I'm having a debateable time considering buying online. If the return policy was at the websites expense, I wouldn't hesitate I guess but I would kick myself if I ended up with a less than perfect picture and had to pay the piper for exchanges.

Well as for the Samsung, the people that were getting the earlier versions had problems with HDMI dropouts. The current builds are clean. Plus if you had an issue all you would do is call Samsung and they would replace a board.
These sets are spectacular when adjusted. Amazon ships their tvs via Eagle which does a white glove delivery. They make sure it powers up and is not damaged. If it is they take it back.

read the reviews at Amazon and Avs.

The reason I am pimping this set so much is that for the price I do not think you can beat it. Plus the new series is going to be pricier.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #100 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well as for the Samsung, the people that were getting the earlier versions had problems with HDMI dropouts. The current builds are clean. Plus if you had an issue all you would do is call Samsung and they would replace a board.
These sets are spectacular when adjusted. Amazon ships their tvs via Eagle which does a white glove delivery. They make sure it powers up and is not damaged. If it is they take it back.

read the reviews at Amazon and Avs.

The reason I am pimping this set so much is that for the price I do not think you can beat it. Plus the new series is going to be pricier.

How much would the46" run and are you saying Eagle actually powers it up??

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #101 of 126
darkninja67, what is the dymamic 10809? BB said it isn't good to watch it on that setting all the time but didn't explain why, just that it wouldn't be good. If I remember right it cranked up the contrast and brightness to the upper limits. Does that sound about right?

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #102 of 126
Quote:

How much would the46" run and are you saying Eagle actually powers it up??

I will make it easy for you: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...ustomerReviews

These reviews mirror those at Avs about Amazon, Eagle, and the Samsung 65F series. This is probably what I am going to do too. The new Toshibas are now in users homes so I will wait a bit longer. The Samsung 4665F is $2206 shipped.

If you can control lighting then this is the tv to get IMO. You saw the glare of the panel in BB so you should have a good idea how it will behave in your setting.

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #103 of 126
Quote:

darkninja67, what is the dymamic 10809? BB said it isn't good to watch it on that setting all the time but didn't explain why, just that it wouldn't be good. If I remember right it cranked up the contrast and brightness to the upper limits. Does that sound about right?

Dynamic 10809??? No idea what that is. I know the dynamic contrast ratio of these sets is something like 15000:1 which is around 3000:1 native at least. Which is very good.

The 10809 part of it I have no idea what it means or I am just stupid. 1920 x 1080 is the native resolution.

Also, if you do go with the big river, keep an eye on the tracking. A lot of people have said that they called Eagle once they show it entering their state. Otherwise it will sit in their distribution center from what I recall. I think they even will deliver on Saturdays.

I have a feeling you will be thanking me if you do go with this Samsung.

EDIT: for settings, never go full brightness on any tv. It will shorten the life of the CCFL as well as destroy any semblance of accurate detail and color.

Use Norse's settings (from avs) if you do go with either Samsung.

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #104 of 126
Jul 13, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #105 of 126
darkninja67;3111199 said:
Dynamic 10809??? No idea what that is. I know the dynamic contrast ratio of these sets is something like 15000:1 which is around 3000:1 native at least. Which is very good. Quote]

My bad, its dynamic 1080"P" . That is what the display card read for the LNT4665F. And thanks again for you valued input. I will muddle thru the avs calibration posts to see if I'm comfortable there and stronly consider the set. It is right at my price range and it is a 46". I was in the avs forums in the past when I first bought my Hitachi and I have to admit, it was way over my head so I never delved into anything deeper than what I could control in the menu, which wasn't much. Besides, a pro did come out to calibrate it which took about an hour or so but he never did use any equipment talked about in the forums at that time such as a grey scale meter (if I remember right)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back