Best $400 IEM
Mar 1, 2010 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

In my search for a new pair of portable headphones, I've decided that using full-sized cans is simply impractical and just a plain pain in the ass.
icon10.gif
So with that, I've decided to give some IEMs a try. I should first start off with my music preferences.

Mostly, I listen to alt and oldies rock, classical, industrial, electronic/trance/dance, and jazz, with a smattering of cheesy pop (which is unfortunately a guilty pleasure). Be sure to check out my profile if you want more detailed info.

For the most part, my ATH-A700 has done a pretty decent job of sounding nicely with all of these genres as my main portables, however, as I've stated and you can imagine, I look like a giant tool walking around with a pair of ATs on my head in public.

From the prospective of my mind's ear, I suppose the perfect sound sig would be something with airy with detailed treble, creamy, forward mids, and deep, somewhat impactful/detailed bass, to give it a vague outline.

Now, even as I'm quite naive in terms of IEMs, customs look very attractive to me for a number of reasons, mostly because of their comfortable fit and isolation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that some of the better monitors around are also customs.

However, I'm slightly nervous about getting some of these customs because of the armature driver(s). I heard my friend's pair of UHP336 that he had for a short time, and hated them because of their tinny-sounding mids (This might have been due to the fact that they were only single armature, so I maybe was missing something). I was considering the JH5, UE1, UE4, ES1, or CR1.

Perhaps customs aren't the best choice for somebody as new as I am, so I imagine a $400 budget would be a big enough span to keep my options aplenty...

Your input is appreciated!

Thanks.

Mar 1, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 19
The Monster Turbine Pro Copper or Ortofon e-Q7.... Actually more of the Copper than the Orto based on sound sig you described.. And probably can get either or for $100 less than you're willing to spend if you really look around and shop. Those two are the best on the market right now (well, along with the IE8, but I expect that might be a bit too warm for you all the way around).

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen mostly what you do too and for me it was the Senn IE8, Triple Fi's was nice but doesnt have that fun factor, punch and deep bass that IE8 have

It seems like the IE8 gets a lot of praise around here.

What exactly do you mean by "fun factor"?

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #6 of 19
When people say "fun factor" they usually mean "romping, stomping deep bass" and that's exactly what the IE8 has, and what the TF10 lacks.

If I were to choose, I would say the IE8 is the better IEM of hte two, which is strange because I opted to get a TF10 instead of an IE8 just last January, but that is another story.

Anyway here's what you said you wanted:

"From the prospective of my mind's ear, I suppose the perfect sound sig would be something with airy with detailed treble, creamy, forward mids, and deep, somewhat impactful/detailed bass, to give it a vague outline."

I have not heard the Copper, only the vanilla Turbine, but your description almost matches the TF10. The main difference being that the TF10s have slightly recessed mids (still creamy, but not exactly forward). TF10s have very delicate, detailed treble with a lot of air around them. The mids are sweet and creamy, but are not forward. The bass is present, detailed, deep extension but lacking a bit in impact -- it has impact but no thunderous kick like on the IE8.

The IE8 on the other hand is like an ocean of bass during a storm. Strong, deep, powerful bass that adds warmth and fun to the entire sound. The mids and highs are somewhat recessed though, but that does give the entire sound a rather wide, open and airy sound, not as airy as the TF10 because the treble isn't as layered but the sense of size is wider.

"I listen to alt and oldies rock, classical, industrial, electronic/trance/dance, and jazz, with a smattering of cheesy pop"

Based on your listening preferences, I'd say the TF10 might be closer to your liking as it is excellent for alt, rock, classical, and does well in industrial and electronic, and is great for jazz and pop.

However the IE8 is also good for these genres though I say TF10 beats it out in rock, alt, classical and some eletronica, but the IE8 is better for jazz and the smoother kind of electronica.

In the end the two are both capable in all of those genres and you should decide based on whether you want deep, fun, warm bass or bright, twittering highs. I should also point that I had no fit issues with the IE8 whereas the TF10 is more of a hassle to wear and less comfortable.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When people say "fun factor" they usually mean "romping, stomping deep bass" and that's exactly what the IE8 has, and what the TF10 lacks.

If I were to choose, I would say the IE8 is the better IEM of hte two, which is strange because I opted to get a TF10 instead of an IE8 just last January, but that is another story.

Anyway here's what you said you wanted:

"From the prospective of my mind's ear, I suppose the perfect sound sig would be something with airy with detailed treble, creamy, forward mids, and deep, somewhat impactful/detailed bass, to give it a vague outline."

I have not heard the Copper, only the vanilla Turbine, but your description almost matches the TF10. The main difference being that the TF10s have slightly recessed mids (still creamy, but not exactly forward). TF10s have very delicate, detailed treble with a lot of air around them. The mids are sweet and creamy, but are not forward. The bass is present, detailed, deep extension but lacking a bit in impact -- it has impact but no thunderous kick like on the IE8.

The IE8 on the other hand is like an ocean of bass during a storm. Strong, deep, powerful bass that adds warmth and fun to the entire sound. The mids and highs are somewhat recessed though, but that does give the entire sound a rather wide, open and airy sound, not as airy as the TF10 because the treble isn't as layered but the sense of size is wider.

"I listen to alt and oldies rock, classical, industrial, electronic/trance/dance, and jazz, with a smattering of cheesy pop"

Based on your listening preferences, I'd say the TF10 might be closer to your liking as it is excellent for alt, rock, classical, and does well in industrial and electronic, and is great for jazz and pop.

However the IE8 is also good for these genres though I say TF10 beats it out in rock, alt, classical and some eletronica, but the IE8 is better for jazz and the smoother kind of electronica.

In the end the two are both capable in all of those genres and you should decide based on whether you want deep, fun, warm bass or bright, twittering highs. I should also point that I had no fit issues with the IE8 whereas the TF10 is more of a hassle to wear and less comfortable.

I'm not a basshead, so it's not all about bass, it's about music as a whole.
I had TF10 and IE8 in the same time, and keeped only IE8 just because it sounds more smooth, more laid back, a lot better soundstage, more relaxed and easy on the ear and in the same time pretty punchy and musical,
FT10 are sometimes fatiguing for me.
It will be better if OP can try both and return the one that he do not like

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 19
I see. Thanks a lot for the info!

What are your thoughts on customs? Has anybody heard any of the aforementioned? Would getting some be advisable?

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see. Thanks a lot for the info!

What are your thoughts on customs? Has anybody heard any of the aforementioned? Would getting some be advisable?

Though i never heard any 400 dollar iems, i went straight for the jh-13's from my lowly etymotic er6i's. If i were to get another pair for backup, in the same range as you're looking i would without a doubt get a pair of jh5's and not look back. There is an entire appreciation thread for the jh5 that you should check out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/j...thread-442345/

good luck deciding
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:48 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I'm slightly nervous about getting some of these customs because of the armature driver(s). I heard my friend's pair of UHP336 that he had for a short time, and hated them because of their tinny-sounding mids (This might have been due to the fact that they were only single armature, so I maybe was missing something). I was considering the JH5, UE1, UE4, ES1, or CR1.

I do find single armature IEMs to be limited in terms of sound signature, however you really won't be able to tell if you like a headphone if you just listen to it for a short period of time. Every time I listen to a new pair that I'm not used to I feel like the sound is lacking in some way. After listening to it alone for a few days or a week your mind adjusts to the sound signature and you'll get a more realistic idea if you'll enjoy the headphones for continued use. Physical burn in is heavily debated but most will agree that brain "burn in" is real.

The UE1 you said you were considering is a single sided (although stereo) IEM, meaning you will only have a monitor in one of your ears. It has both channels in the monitor though, so you'd get both R and L sound in your one ear. I don't think you're looking for that.

BTW, your avatar is very creepy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though i never heard any 400 dollar iems, i went straight for the jh-13's from my lowly etymotic er6i's. If i were to get another pair for backup, in the same range as you're looking i would without a doubt get a pair of jh5's and not look back. There is an entire appreciation thread for the jh5 that you should check out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/j...thread-442345/

good luck deciding
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks a lot for the link! I couldn't find much on the JH5 before that...

Nonetheless, from the mostly positive reviews, it would seem that the JH5 are a headphone I would enjoy quite a bit; of course the only issue now is deciding if a (possibly much cheaper) universal will do the same thing. People have mentioned the TF10 and pairs of Turbines quite a lot... I'm kinda hesitant to buy from Monster because of their incredible marketing "techniques" and other not-so-hot products (-cough- Beats -cough-), and from what most people have seem to have said is that the JH5 is a huge improvement over the TF10, so I honestly have no idea at this point. Earphone Solutions seems helpful in selecting a pair, and they suggest some of the best are the UM3X and Westone 3, which I also know nothing about. How do the two compare and differ? FWIR, the UM3X/W3 is supposedly "90% of a custom" when paired with the UM56 tips... I'm so confused.

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 19
First of all,no universal iem deserve $400..period.second,the ie8 will not be a good choice for your prefernces(forward mids...).I can't give you any help here because no iem in my signature have the qualities that you want....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back