Best $400 IEM
Mar 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the link! I couldn't find much on the JH5 before that...

Nonetheless, from the mostly positive reviews, it would seem that the JH5 are a headphone I would enjoy quite a bit; of course the only issue now is deciding if a (possibly much cheaper) universal will do the same thing. People have mentioned the TF10 and pairs of Turbines quite a lot... I'm kinda hesitant to buy from Monster because of their incredible marketing "techniques" and other not-so-hot products (-cough- Beats -cough-), and from what most people have seem to have said is that the JH5 is a huge improvement over the TF10, so I honestly have no idea at this point. Earphone Solutions seems helpful in selecting a pair, and they suggest some of the best are the UM3X and Westone 3, which I also know nothing about. How do the two compare and differ? FWIR, the UM3X/W3 is supposedly "90% of a custom" when paired with the UM56 tips... I'm so confused.

I would say that the only reason you should even think about not getting the jh5 would be resale value, but i dont see you wanting to get rid of them
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #17 of 19
I recommend Ortofon e-Q7. The most balanced IEM I've heard so far and also the most transparent and natural sounding. Another great choice is SE530, but only if you can get a good fit with it, which for me was almost impossible. I recommend custom tips for it. It also sounds very balanced and natural, but perhaps a little too mellow in the treble for some music.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #18 of 19
Has anybody compared the e-Q7 to the JH5? I'm thinking it's going to be either one of these, but god knows there's over 9000 choices... Unfortunately I don't think I'll at any time in the near future have the money or patience to get them both at the same time and audition them head to head.
frown.gif

Thanks again for all the info, it's immensely helpful.

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarinetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot for the link! I couldn't find much on the JH5 before that...

Nonetheless, from the mostly positive reviews, it would seem that the JH5 are a headphone I would enjoy quite a bit; of course the only issue now is deciding if a (possibly much cheaper) universal will do the same thing. People have mentioned the TF10 and pairs of Turbines quite a lot... I'm kinda hesitant to buy from Monster because of their incredible marketing "techniques" and other not-so-hot products (-cough- Beats -cough-), and from what most people have seem to have said is that the JH5 is a huge improvement over the TF10, so I honestly have no idea at this point. Earphone Solutions seems helpful in selecting a pair, and they suggest some of the best are the UM3X and Westone 3, which I also know nothing about. How do the two compare and differ? FWIR, the UM3X/W3 is supposedly "90% of a custom" when paired with the UM56 tips... I'm so confused.

Don't buy based on brand, buy based on what you hear and feedback from other people carefully strained for useful information. Totally ignore what brand a product is because this will just create misconceptions and bias.

I can assure you Monster's Turbines are very good IEMs and are not crap like the Tours (which I honestly cannot believe are supposed to be a hip-hop/RnB phone considering they have almost no bass extension -- Dr. Dre obviously has bad ears or something if he gave this one a pass, unbelievable).

Can't help with the JH5 and other stuff unfortunately, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back