Best $200 Neutral, Great Mid Range IEM?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 10, 2023 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

musedesign

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All, Happy Holidays! I would like to buy myself a gift of about $200

About me:
I have several IEMs but keep returning to the Moondrop Starfield 1. I like neutral Sound Quality and mid-range forward with a large soundstage. I have listened to Stax 007 and was blown away. I loved them and had the same impression of the Magneplan LRS. I bought a pair of Hifiman 400se and sent them back. They sounded shrill and treble-boosted to me.

I am open to suggestions and interested in trying new technologies! Thank you

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 24
The Penon Fan 2 is a warm neutral IEM that is tonally similar to the way more expensive Sony IER M9:
Penon_Fan_2_versus_Sony_M9.jpg

8 kHz is a coupler peak.

It can frequently be found at 50% off if you subscribe to their newsletter. Lush midrange, good timbre and very smooth.

However, the nozzles are very long, and some have issues with the fit, that's one of its main drawbacks.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 24
My favorites are the Truthear Zero blue for music, the red sounds too thin for vocals and piano. The Seeaudio Yume II is the best all arounder. I had the original and ultra and they weren't as versatile or worth paying extra over the II version. Simgot EA500 is another good one, red nozzles for music or black for gaming or brighter music.
Dunu S&S tips will add soundstage, but you might have to eq the 600hz mids to compensate for the longer length.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #4 of 24
The Penon Fan 2 is a warm neutral IEM that is tonally similar to the way more expensive Sony IER M9:
Penon_Fan_2_versus_Sony_M9.jpg
8 kHz is a coupler peak.

It can frequently be found at 50% off if you subscribe to their newsletter. Lush midrange, good timbre and very smooth.

However, the nozzles are very long, and some have issues with the fit, that's one of its main drawbacks.
Hi @baskingshark, thank you for the message!
I subscribed to the Penon Newsletter I will watch for the 50% off sales.
Do you have any other suggestions? Do any of the Electrostatic or Planar IEMs in the $200 range have a more neutral tuning?
Thank you!

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 24
My favorites are the Truthear Zero blue for music, the red sounds too thin for vocals and piano. The Seeaudio Yume II is the best all arounder. I had the original and ultra and they weren't as versatile or worth paying extra over the II version. Simgot EA500 is another good one, red nozzles for music or black for gaming or brighter music.
Dunu S&S tips will add soundstage, but you might have to eq the 600hz mids to compensate for the longer length.
Thank you @dunring!

I will check out the Truthear Zero Blue $49, Seeaudio Yume II, Simgot EA500.

Do any of the Electrostatic or Planar IEMs in the $200 range have a more neutral tuning?

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Hi @baskingshark, thank you for the message!
I subscribed to the Penon Newsletter I will watch for the 50% off sales.
Do you have any other suggestions? Do any of the Electrostatic or Planar IEMs in the $200 range have a more neutral tuning?
Thank you!

Most of the planars are V-shaped.

There are no legit ESTs at $200 (those at the cheaper pricing are using fake ESTs AKA electrets).

Another cheaper option to consider would be the AFUL MagicONE. This is a single BA which is warm neutral, with excellent fit and layering/imaging. It requires amplification though, due to the low sensitivity/high impedance. A bit pricey for a single BA but it packs a lot of interesting technology to overcome single BA shortcomings.

At $200 TBH, most stuff are Harman tuned or V-shaped, quite hard to find a true "neutral" or midrange focused IEM.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 24
Most of the planars are V-shaped.

There are no legit ESTs at $200 (those at the cheaper pricing are using fake ESTs AKA electrets).

Another cheaper option to consider would be the AFUL MagicONE. This is a single BA which is warm neutral, with excellent fit and layering/imaging. It requires amplification though, due to the low sensitivity/high impedance. A bit pricey for a single BA but it packs a lot of interesting technology to overcome single BA shortcomings.

At $200 TBH, most stuff are Harman tuned or V-shaped, quite hard to find a true "neutral" or midrange focused IEM.
Thank you @baskingshark

The AFUL MagicOne looks interesting. Do you have a pair? Curious how you would compare AFUL MagicOne to my Moondrop Starfield 1. I use an iFi hip-dac 2 with the Moondrop Starfield 1

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Thank you @baskingshark

The AFUL MagicOne looks interesting. Do you have a pair? Curious how you would compare AFUL MagicOne to my Moondrop Starfield 1. I use an iFi hip-dac 2 with the Moondrop Starfield 1

Yes I have a MagicOne, it beats the Starfield 1 in technicalities (imaging, layering), but perhaps Starfield may have a bit more natural timbre. This is based on aural memory, cause I gave away the Starfield years ago, so no back to back comparisons. YMMV.

Dec 11, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #9 of 24
Hi All, Happy Holidays! I would like to buy myself a gift of about $200

About me:
I have several IEMs but keep returning to the Moondrop Starfield 1. I like neutral Sound Quality and mid-range forward with a large soundstage. I have listened to Stax 007 and was blown away. I loved them and had the same impression of the Magneplan LRS. I bought a pair of Hifiman 400se and sent them back. They sounded shrill and treble-boosted to me.

I am open to suggestions and interested in trying new technologies! Thank you
A excellent suggestion would be the very balanced and natural sounding Hisenior T4.

No fitment issues like the Fan2.

Attachments

• graph-2.png
    graph-2.png
    243.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 12, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #10 of 24
Regarding fit on Fan2, if you choose to go with that one:
I usually go for biggest tip size on my IEM:s, like the yellow KB07.
But with the Fan2 I'm currently using the smallest blue tips and a deep insertion. It takes a little adjusting, but when you hit the right spot: BOOM! the sound just transforms. I just love it so much, ticks all my boxes. Warm and neutral. Got it after watching @ToneDeafMonk review, thanks TDM, no regrets it's my favourite iem so far. Were listening to Cat Power's new Dylan album on my tube amp yesterday. Felt like I was there in the audience.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #11 of 24
Thank you all for your feedback!

The 7HZ Timeless received three votes; I just ordered a pair. I also ordered a pair of the Truthear Zero blue, curious about the "Harmon Tuning." I will give impressions when I receive them.

Still on my shortlist;
  • Penon Fan 2 ($279 + shipping)
  • Hisenior T4 ($199 + shipping)
    • Truthear Hexa ($68 + shipping)
  • Timeless: Crinacle Dioko ($99 + shipping)
  • AFUL Performer 5 ($219 + shipping)
    • 7Hz Dioko ($99 + shipping)
I welcome any other suggestions!

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 24
..well last night I went a little crazy and ordered a whole bunch of IEMs just to see about the differences, today the first three arrived. @baskingshark I would love to hear any feedback. Thank you!

In order of preference:
1. Chopin 4.4mm $199 - thump, thump with great technicals, over boosted bass, bass overtakes midrange, treble is there but over overtaken by muddy mid-bass. Better sound stage than Aful.

2. Aful 5 3.5mm $219 - Overly bright and bassy, V tuning, missing midrange. More technical than Mooddrop Starfield, less muddy than Starfield, and missing midrange, like instruments are jumping out without a midrange. Great bass, but too much bass, thump, thump, thump. Most listenable, least offensive of the three. Compressed sound stage

3. Truthear Nova 3.5mm $127 - Too bright, Overly bright and recessed bass, V tuning with extended treble, missing midrange, screeching treble, hollowed out mid-range, good technicals, but Aful better technicals. Aful better. Better sound stage than Aful, not as good as Chopin.

4. Mooddrop Starfield 3.5mm $109 (2020) - Muddy bass overtakes midrange, but I am used to the tuning; not nearly as technical as the others, and prefer without the thump, thump sub-bass, which all the others have. Why do people like that overly boosted sub-bass? Very listenable, although not technical. They feel old, like a generation ago.

+ Learned there is a LOT of hype in IEMs

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #13 of 24
..well last night I went a little crazy and ordered a whole bunch of IEMs just to see about the differences, today the first three arrived. @baskingshark I would love to hear any feedback. Thank you!

In order of preference:
1. Chopin 4.4mm $199 - thump, thump with great technicals, over boosted bass, bass overtakes midrange, treble is there but over overtaken by muddy mid-bass. Better sound stage than Aful.

2. Aful 5 3.5mm $219 - Overly bright and bassy, V tuning, missing midrange. More technical than Mooddrop Starfield, less muddy than Starfield, and missing midrange, like instruments are jumping out without a midrange. Great bass, but too much bass, thump, thump, thump. Most listenable, least offensive of the three. Compressed sound stage

3. Truthear Nova 3.5mm $127 - Too bright, Overly bright and recessed bass, V tuning with extended treble, missing midrange, screeching treble, hollowed out mid-range, good technicals, but Aful better technicals. Aful better. Better sound stage than Aful, not as good as Chopin.

4. Mooddrop Starfield 3.5mm $109 (2020) - Muddy bass overtakes midrange, but I am used to the tuning; not nearly as technical as the others, and prefer without the thump, thump sub-bass, which all the others have. Why do people like that overly boosted sub-bass? Very listenable, although not technical. They feel old, like a generation ago.

+ Learned there is a LOT of hype in IEMs

Nice impressions, I think you are very discerning with your purchases, well done! At least you now know what you like or dislike in your IEM, so that may make searching for your "endgame" easier.

The good thing is you bought quite popular sets, so even if they aren't your cup of tea, I suppose you could sell some of them away without taking a major loss, but sometimes if an IEM is not to your tastes, there are some things you can do to "salvage" it.
1) Stock eartips may sometimes not seal well, resulting in less bass, so everything sounds brighter. But maybe try exploring various tip sizes and even aftermarket tips, sometimes they change the sonics and modify the sound to your preference.
2) Sources also affect the sound, some warmer amps may tame brighter IEMs, and vice versa.
3) There's always EQ if you are open to that option.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #14 of 24
I voted for Moondrop Starfield original as it is the most neutral sounding IEM i have listened to.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 24
Nice impressions, I think you are very discerning with your purchases, well done! At least you now know what you like or dislike in your IEM, so that may make searching for your "endgame" easier.
Thank you @baskingshark !

Any suggestions for an IEM that might meet my desired tuning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back