Best 100-150$ headphones for pop music
Jul 21, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 45
So I should spend the extra 50$ and buy the m50x?

I have the ath anc29 ( not burned ) the voice dosent seem that good but the bass is pretty decent

Hard to say, I personally wouldn't buy the M50x at its full retail price, but then again I don't have a need for mobile use headphones, and if I did I would just get the original M50s and recable it with a shorter cable. Everyone has different needs. Like Zunehdrocks said, it's your call if you think the refreshed design and detachable cable is worth the difference in price. I would recommend listening to as many different headphones as you can and buying from a place that has a good return policy.

Jul 22, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #18 of 45
Alright thanks any other recommendation on headphones I should try

Also is it safe to burn headphones overnight if I have a headphone that required battery I am just scared if it might overheat

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 45
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-6000-Headphones-Discontinued/dp/B0094S36RI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZCTRRWWZD16P86EYPH3

this is made for pop songs :p

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #20 of 45
Is the headphone good?

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #21 of 45
Alright thanks any other recommendation on headphones I should try

Also is it safe to burn headphones overnight if I have a headphone that required battery I am just scared if it might overheat

Try to burn it in with the noise cancelling feature off. I don't think it being on or off makes a difference with burn in. I've burned in headphones for days at a time connected to amps with upwards of 18V, and most portable NC headphones run off 3~5V. I want to say that you should be alright, but I've never burned in any battery-powered headphones for that long... so I understand your concern, and I think it would be best to burn it in with the nosie cancelling powered off if possible.

Here's a post I made regarding burn-in:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/713905/burn-in#post_10444266

I don't know too much about portables, but you may also want to look at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They are comparable to the ATH M50s with a V-Shaped EQ that works for pop. The only thing is they are not that efficient and may need an amp to drive. I did a quick check and they sell for $229 new on Amazon (they went up ALOT since the last time I checked) but FullCompass is selling a B-Stock version of it for $139 w/ free shipping. I do not know how their return policy is, but the Beyerdynamic C1 Pros have good reviews on Amazon and have a detachable cable. Just another option.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/445017.html

The Logitech UE6000 are also generally well-regarded headphones and is also a portable w/ noise cancelling features. They go for about 80~90 new and right now can be had for less than 40 refurbed on ebay. I heard that the UE6000 ear pads cannot be replaced though, so I am not sure how long they will last..

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #22 of 45
Try to burn it in with the noise cancelling feature off. I don't think it being on or off makes a difference with burn in. I've burned in headphones for days at a time connected to amps with upwards of 18V, and most portable NC headphones run off 3~5V. I want to say that you should be alright, but I've never burned in any battery-powered headphones for that long... so I understand your concern, and I think it would be best to burn it in with the nosie cancelling powered off if possible.

Here's a post I made regarding burn-in:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/445017.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CP6qxKuZ2L8CFVFp7AodEAsAdg

I don't know too much about portables, but you may also want to look at the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros. They are comparable to the ATH M50s with a V-Shaped EQ that works for pop. The only thing is they are not that efficient and may need an amp to drive. I did a quick check and they sell for $229 new on Amazon (they went up ALOT since the last time I checked) but FullCompass is selling a B-Stock version of it for $139 w/ free shipping. I do not know how their return policy is, but the Beyerdynamic C1 Pros have good reviews on Amazon and have a detachable cable. Just another option.

The Logitech UE6000 are also generally well-regarded headphones and is also a portable w/ noise cancelling features. They go for about 80~90 new and right now can ne had for less than 40 refurbed on ebay. I heard that the UE6000 ear pads cannot be replaced though, so I am not sure how long they will last..

Thanks man for the help and alright

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 45
Thanks for the help and alright

That link is for the headphone not burn in?

Also for m50 should I get collied or straight

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #25 of 45
Thanks for the help and alright

That link is for the headphone not burn in?

Also for m50 should I get collied or straight

Oops I goofed! I updated my post and fixed the links.

If you are going to be using them for portable use, I would get the coiled because it is more manageable and can be stuffed into your pocket. The straight cable is over 10ft long! So that makes it much harder to manage when you are mobile. Also, another thing you should note is the ATH M50 tip. The tip is wide and will not connect/reach the iphone jack, you will have to use an adapter.

Here is a pic so you can see what I mean:

You can just buy a cheap iphone splitter on ebay which does the same thing as an adapter and also gives you the bonus of sharing another output if you'd like. That is what I use for my iphone. Here is a link, less than $1 shipped, but it takes a long time to ship because it origins from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-earphone-splitter-audio-cable-3-5mm-double-jack-iPod-iPhone-4-4S-iPad2-/190879574454

If you don't want to wait, you can order from a US seller for about $2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Audio-Headphone-Splitter-Cable-Adapter-For-iPhone-MP3-MP4-/191205659682

Also, if you think about it, for the price of the newer ATH M50x, you could get the original ATH M50 AND a refurbished Logitech UE6000 with the money you save. You could also get an amp instead or just pocket the savings. Lots of options
beyersmile.png

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:33 AM Post #26 of 45
Oops I goofed! I updated my post and fixed the links.

If you are going to be using them for portable use, I would get the coiled because it is more manageable and can be stuffed into your pocket. The straight cable is over 10ft long! So that makes it much harder to manage when you are mobile. Also, another thing you should note is the ATH M50 tip. The tip is wide and will not connect/reach the iphone jack, you will have to use an adapter.

Here is a pic so you can see what I mean:

You can just buy a cheap iphone splitter on ebay which does the same thing as an adapter and also gives you the bonus of sharing another output if you'd like. That is what I use for my iphone. Here is a link, less than $1 shipped, but it takes a long time to ship because it origins from China:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headphone-earphone-splitter-audio-cable-3-5mm-double-jack-iPod-iPhone-4-4S-iPad2-/190879574454

If you don't want to wait, you can order from a US seller for about $2:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5mm-Audio-Headphone-Splitter-Cable-Adapter-For-iPhone-MP3-MP4-/191205659682

Also, if you think about it, for the price of the newer ATH M50x, you could get the original ATH M50 AND a refurbished Logitech UE6000 with the money you save. You could also get an amp instead or just pocket the savings. Lots of options :beyersmile:  

Ahh thanks I would of been mad if I realized that the m50 didn't fit my iphone. So I just put plug that m50 jack into the splittier and then I just hook the splitter cord to my iphone?

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #27 of 45
Ahh thanks if I bought the m50 and realized it didn't fit my iphone I would of been mad. So I just plug the m50 cord to the splitter and use the splitter cord to my iphone and I be set?

Also is there any sound quality decrease using the splitter?

Can pink noise Ruin ur headphones?

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #28 of 45
I just checked, because I was curious as well and to be honest there is a ever slight decrease in audio quality. The sound 'flattens' a tad bit. You would have to A/B test back and forth to really notice it, so I don't think it should really be a concern and I doubt the average listener would notice and it doesn't really degrade the audio in a noticable way. It does make you think that there should be a high quality adapter available, but then again I don't think the iphone is the greatest source either.

See! I have the same adapter :p

As for pink noise, I doubt it can damage your headphones. People use it to break in headphones faster because it uses more sound frequencies. I've used it for most of my break-ins and haven't experienced a problem yet. If you are worried about the pink noise, another alternative is to plug the headphones into a radio and break it in with music from a radio station.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #29 of 45
I just checked, because I was curious as well and to be honest there is a ever slight decrease in audio quality. The sound 'flattens' a tad bit. You would have to A/B test back and forth to really notice it, so I don't think it should really be a concern and I doubt the average listener would notice and it doesn't really degrade the audio in a noticable way. It does make you think that there should be a high quality adapter available, but then again I don't think the iphone is the greatest source either.

See! I have the same adapter :p

As for pink noise, I doubt it can damage your headphones. People use it to break in headphones faster because it uses more sound frequencies. I've used it for most of my break-ins and haven't experienced a problem yet. If you are worried about the pink noise, another alternative is to plug the headphones into a radio and break it in with music from a radio station.

Ah thanks what do you use ur m50 for

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 45
Ah thanks what do you use ur m50 for

Honestly, I don't listen to the M50s too often, I recognize that they are good headphones so I keep them as part of my collection and use them as a reference when I A/B (test) against other headphones, but I have other headphones I enjoy more.  But when I do listen to music  with the M50s they do well with modern pop, j-pop, hiphop, and electronic music.

They are bass heavy though, so not the best for orchestra and sound tracks, and the bass bleeds into the soundstage somewhat for for gaming. Still, a good gamer will do well with any decent headphones
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back