Best <£60 earphones for 3 hour daily bus commute?
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 22
The current lower end Shure line does not seem to receive much love here.
Well within your budge there is radiopag custom tuned http://radiopaqproducts.com/custom_tuned.htm
I haven't heard them myself so can't really recommend, but remember seeing some nice things said about them on head-fi.
Here http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/441967/radiopaq-classical
and http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/436538/radiopaq-jazz-review
Again I'm not giving any opinions which would be irresponsible. FIY only. And readily available at HMV's they might be easier to get than the more exotic ones.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #17 of 22
3 hours... blimey!

I've tried a RE0 very recently (on Clip+, Cowon S9) and they're impressive for the price, undoubtedly, How impressive will differ from person to person.

There's the Klipsch S4... great for iPhone (remote/mic). Not tried myself but reviews are very positive.

Would you consider a used item? You could easily get a better item within your budget or a little more, and if you're careful it will last a year at least.
Maybe not though, given your urgency.

And I could take a condescending tone to your music, like you do to -----... Black Eyed Please die along with your chimp music. Maybe other people have found you annoying too, given how much sound the Apple buds leak.

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #18 of 22
I love my RE0 but have found them to be a little lacking in isolation, and to sound thin when driven directly from my iPods. 

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #19 of 22

Quote:
And I could take a condescending tone to your music, like you do to -----... Black Eyed Please die along with your chimp music. Maybe other people have found you annoying too, given how much sound the Apple buds leak.

Absolutely fair-do's :) My main gripe was the fact they play it via loudspeaker disturbing everyone else rather than choice of music, but I do respect that the Apple buds are really bad and leak worse than a tap which is why I rarely go above 50-60% volume on the iPhone so as to try not and annoy people. Each to their own though.

And thank you for your information and suggestions. I've had a look at the S4 they are within budget (just!) but given the frequent issues I had with the X1's, I'm a little reluctant to go with them in fear or repeated issues. Prosound, I have just checked out the Radiopaq custom series and think, perhaps, we may be onto something here! It may sound silly but the cabling looks just beautiful - I like the feel and look of the 'woven' kind from the plastic and rubber.

I've read more into peoples thoughts and reviews and I'm not quite convinced the RE0's will be to my suiting for how I'll use them... plus I've seen a fair few mention they are not quite up to spec on the isolating side which is a shame. Really need something to decently block the noises of the outside world.

Right now I'm thinking between the SoundMAGIC PL-50's and the Radiopaq Pop's. Checked 'genre' listings for my iPhone and about 66-75% of my music is Pop! So it seems these would be the wiser choice

Jul 2, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #20 of 22
kristoficus, isolation can be affected significantly by tips. Also, even with low volume, most IEMs will block out intrusive sounds (I'd expect phones to be inaudible but you may hear the bus, but you'll get used to it.

As for being annoyed by other people, my comment was probably because there's a couple of people who really annoy me at the bus stop and on the bus, with their leaking iPod buds and music that sounds like what you were referring to. I read on my way to work (on the 15 minute bus/20 minute walk) unless it's raining.

If you're not afraid, make a point. I stuck my fingers up at a bunch of ----- on a bus a few months ago and told them their music offended me (not really, but given that it was Tupac, one word made my case), so I set about to offend them. They didn't turn anything off at first but after a few minutes, with a smile and realisation that their words were irrelevant there was quiet.
That was when my bus journeys to work took over an hour so it made a big difference (actually happened on the third day of my first job).

Jul 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #21 of 22
Amazon have the etymotic hf5 for £65 delivered.  Etymotic are supposed to be the best for isolation.  Bad luck with the image x1's, but just to balance it out I did have a pair of Radiopaq jazz from amazon that had to be returned due to one of the ear pieces falling apart!  Play also have Ultimate Ears superfi 5vi on sale for £53 atm.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 22

Quote:

I've read more into peoples thoughts and reviews and I'm not quite convinced the RE0's will be to my suiting for how I'll use them... plus I've seen a fair few mention they are not quite up to spec on the isolating side which is a shame. Really need something to decently block the noises of the outside world.

Right now I'm thinking between the SoundMAGIC PL-50's and the Radiopaq Pop's. Checked 'genre' listings for my iPhone and about 66-75% of my music is Pop! So it seems these would be the wiser choice

re the RE-0 it depends how noisy the place is but they prabably wouldnt be my first choice

the Pop's im not shuro could suggest them either as i had an arse of a time gitting the fit just so to make them sound right, id take the Jazz over them anyday.

the PL-50, there isnt much to say againts it other than its  a little bass light for some.

if i was you on a 3 hour commute id take the PL-50 or any shure that fit in budget.  the shures are all super comfy and isolate very well.  the PL-50 is possibly the best all rounder and best value for what you want.  its like a shure but priced differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back