Beresford TC-7510 vs Zhaolu D3?
Jul 1, 2007 at 10:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

Pibborando

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a DAC that I can use from my computer or from any source I may have with digital out. This means I don't want something that only has USB in. I'd like it to be around, or less (preferably), $200.

I keep hearing about the Beresford TC-7510 and how it's so amazing etc. Also, the Zhaolu D3 has just come out and it looks quite nice. I don't need a headphone out on the DAC (getting an amp soon) but I don't care if it does have one, I only care about the SQ.

I like the looks of the Zhaolu better, bet hows the sound? The D3 is $195 on diykits and the Beresford goes for $170 right? Doesn't seem to be in stock right now though.

If I could get opinions on either (or the D2 or D2.5) that'd be great. If there are any other notable contenders in this range, opinions on those would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

Jul 2, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 45
The strange thing that I picked up from some other forums is the fact that the Beresford is being compared more and more against the Benchmark by people who either have both or have tried both. Considering the price difference this must be quite a shock for both of the manufacturers I would think. I do remember that Beresford used to advertise his DAC on eBay as being just as good or better than other DACs costing 5x or more. That's what caused me to buy one as it happens. I have however always wondered if it was the Benchmark DAC-1 that the Beresford had in mind when making his claims about being just as good as 5x more expensive DACs
rolleyes.gif

I haven't heard the D3 but the D2 etc do not seem to reproduce some details that I can clearly hear from the Beresford. If it was just a subtle difference I could have put that down to merely my perception and my not so perfect hearing. But when I can pick up an instrument on the TC-7510 that is completely missing on a D2 (or many other DAC units I tried over the last year) then I can't just put that down to chance or hearing problems. There is something about that Beresford and the way it is somehow unlocking complete instrumental passages that defies believe. You only have to use it with a SB3 to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I asked about the stock situation last week when I also saw that there weren't any available on the site. I was told that it has something to do with the new European legislation called WEEE that came into effect in the UK on the 1st of July. The stock after 1st of July have to be clearly identified via a special sticker, which is basically a drawing of a dustbin with an X through it. But I am no expert on WEEE so I stand corrected. I was told that things should be back to normal around the middle of July once the new stock has been cleared by the people who regulate this WEEE thing. Hope this helps.

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 45
I tried the Beresford with my SB3 but didn't end up keeping it. The internal DAC in the SB3 bettered the Beresford in every department; bigger soundstage, more accurate imaging, deeper base, unfatiguing treble extension.

Having said that, I truly think that the Beresford is a great DAC for the money. But to say that this DAC can compete with the likes of DAC1, lavry, stello d100, and Bel Canto DAC2 is a little far fetched.

Jul 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 45
Just b/c something is less money doesn't mean it's not good lol. Take MisterX and the old XP amp. The portable was almost as good as a Hornet M for a third of the cost.

Jul 2, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did I ever say that because "its less money it's not good"? Please don't put words in my mouth.

AgentKang:: I Do not believe spacemanspliff's comments were directed at you. But more so as yossi, if anyone at all. The way I see it, he's just explaining that just because something is good, it does not need to cost as much as something comparable to it.

-edit- correcting typo on user's name. [always thot it was spaceman spiff and not spliff]

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 45
Oh I never try to offend. Unless they REALLY want me too lol.

Another example of things not costing much but surprising the hell out of you is the Panasonic XR-57. It's a digital receiver which weighs around 8lbs and puts out HUGE sound. Really floored me the with SQ I get out of it.

There is a SpacemanSpiff here from Calvin and Hobbs. I am SpacemanSpLiff, his older, college age brother.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #12 of 45
the Zhalou D3 is fairly new, but the 2.5 seems to respond well to mods, the OMZ is gaining lots of respect. Probably not a lot of folks have heard the D3 yet.

Agent Kang which Beresford did you audition? It currently is on MKV...I have the IV and found it to be a very satisfying DAC. I compared it to the DACs of two Sony ES cdps, NS3100ES and the well regarded oldie C555ES and found that the Beresford gave definite sound improvements...across the board, it was especially noticeable at lower levels for whole house ambient music, that the SB3 is great for. I found the SB3 dac to be just ok...many folks comparing it to less that $1-200 cdps and it indeed compares to a sony dvp-775V cd sacd player thats in my sons bedroom now. I did notice a dif. using a generic Toslink vs even a monoprice toslink in improvements in sound and ultimately run the TC5710 with the beresford Coaxial cable. I was really pleasantly surprised that the beresford beat out the dacs of my preamp that is only a couple years old ( this pre costs over 2000) So cheap is ok if it works for your system and ears
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and ultimately run the TC5710 with the beresford Coaxial cable.

What is your opinion of his coax cable? I did write up of it some months ago, but except from your comment I haven't heard anyone mention it.
I am now also trying out the 2 meter and it beats some jitter problems I had with my previous coax cable. It's a pity the cable is only on offer when you buy it with one of his DACs. I might otherwise have used them as analogue audio cables as well because the two I have in 1 meter length work just fine for me between my pre and power amp.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 45
sorry for being off topic OP...
Herandu, I like the Beresford Coaxial cable. It is built Very well and I got a really good deal on it, so can't complain. As I recall I compared it to monoprice cables. The premium toslink by monoprice are real good for the money, but I found that Beresford cable had a richness to the overall sound...seemed to me less compressed when I tried lossy files

Jul 4, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #15 of 45
sorry to sway a bit off topic here but
1) that would make sense why i always thot it was spaceman spiff. so there two of you !

2) I was wondering if anyone's heard/tried the TOSlink lead that could also come bundled with the TC-7510 instaed of the Coax, becaues I'd like to know how it is. From the general offerings, it would seem that the Coax offered is really something special.

and to be more on topic. I read somewhere that eventaully some unit with the ability to Buffer the i2s stream will come out for the Zhalou D3. If implemented right, this should be a really great feature. As of yet, it could be too early to tell how the D3 would compare to the TC-7510, since the D3 most likely will be a heavy contender for modding like it's previous siblings. And there's no way to compare the two as a "insert a name here" modded zhalou d3 does not exist yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back