Beresford TC-7510 does it again!!!
Jan 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #32 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vuti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh and BTW.
I moved from the BC DAC2 -> Beresford 6/4 and never has my Almarros sang so good and my feet tapped so nicely.
It's not the price that counts it's the sound.

Just come to this tread and was quite interested in your move from the Bel Canto DAC2.

I have both these DAC's (the Beresford being the latest model with the MOD 21), and just today I have been doing a lot of compassions using different pre and power amps as I want to sell one of them on.

Personally I do think the DAC2 is the better DAC quite obvious on my high end tubed amps, but a little less so on my SS which were a lot cheaper. When you move from the Beresford to the DAC2 it is like a vail is removed, the sound opens up and their is more detail, just seems more refined and engaging. I suppose you could say the Beresford with both amps just sounds duller in compassion to the Bel Canto.

Have to say still a very good DAC for the money.

Jan 19, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I do think the DAC2 is the better DAC quite obvious on my high end tubed amps, but a little less so on my SS which were a lot cheaper. When you move from the Beresford to the DAC2 it is like a vail is removed, the sound opens up and their is more detail, just seems more refined and engaging. I suppose you could say the Beresford with both amps just sounds duller in compassion to the Bel Canto.

If I would have only one word to describe the DAC2, it would indeed be "engaging".
Probably a key difference between the high-end and the cheap.

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #34 of 50
OK, Complete rookie here (DAC wise)...I've only ever had headphone quality DACs before. Just got the Beresford 6/4 and could not be more pleased. My system was put together on a shoe string: '93 Onkyo amp ($150 ish), Wharfedale 8.2 speakers ($64 new!) and an old Sony DVD player with a digital out I happened to have in the garage and....WOW, the upgrade to my crappy old home system was incredible.
I'm not going to argue about minutia when the room for improvement was so huge. Much better depth and detail, deeper and tighter bass and a wonderful dimensionality. I'm sure I could pay more and get a much better system but I'm so pleased....and I have money for more CDs.

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, Complete rookie here (DAC wise)...I've only ever had headphone quality DACs before. Just got the Beresford 6/4 and could not be more pleased. My system was put together on a shoe string: '93 Onkyo amp ($150 ish), Wharfedale 8.2 speakers ($64 new!) and an old Sony DVD player with a digital out I happened to have in the garage and....WOW, the upgrade to my crappy old home system was incredible.
I'm not going to argue about minutia when the room for improvement was so huge. Much better depth and detail, deeper and tighter bass and a wonderful dimensionality. I'm sure I could pay more and get a much better system but I'm so pleased....and I have money for more CDs.

It would seem that there are those that act like grow ups after all around here. Enjoy the music...first.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #37 of 50
I wanted to finally try this thing out and received the new TC-7520 today. There should be some improvements in the headphone amp and there's now a USB input added also. I've been auditioning the DAC whole evening now and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I'm using the optical input and fixed line out for my speaker rig.

The headphone out is actually very good. No background noise at all. Works very well with HD600. In comparison Lehmann is clearly brighter and has snappier sound with slightly more control. But I must say that TC-7520 comes extremely close and that's a lot when we consider the difference in price (750EUR vs. 190EUR). I could easily live with TC-7520 as my primary headphone amp.

As a stand alone DAC TC-7520 impresses me at least as much. Compared to Bel Canto s300iD with built in DAC-card (optical and coaxial inputs) Beresford does amazing job. It's very pleasant to listen to, high end isn't harsh or anything, more smooth but with all the details. Slightly more punch to the basses wouldn't hurt but they're great as they are now. BC's integrated DAC has slightly punchier bass and overall livelier sound but BC's high end isn't as pleasant to listen to as TC-7520's.

I must do some more comparisons but I can already say that this thing is a killer for the price. This might end up being my primary headphone amp.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to finally try this thing out and received the new TC-7520 today. There should be some improvements in the headphone amp and there's now a USB input added also. I've been auditioning the DAC whole evening now and I must say that I'm pretty impressed. I'm using the optical input and fixed line out for my speaker rig.

The headphone out is actually very good. No background noise at all. Works very well with HD600. In comparison Lehmann is clearly brighter and has snappier sound with slightly more control. But I must say that TC-7520 comes extremely close and that's a lot when we consider the difference in price (750EUR vs. 190EUR). I could easily live with TC-7520 as my primary headphone amp.

As a stand alone DAC TC-7520 impresses me at least as much. Compared to Bel Canto s300iD with built in DAC-card (optical and coaxial inputs) Beresford does amazing job. It's very pleasant to listen to, high end isn't harsh or anything, more smooth but with all the details. Slightly more punch to the basses wouldn't hurt but they're great as they are now. BC's integrated DAC has slightly punchier bass and overall livelier sound but BC's high end isn't as pleasant to listen to as TC-7520's.

I must do some more comparisons but I can already say that this thing is a killer for the price. This might end up being my primary headphone amp.

Good to hear something good about this unit. I had the 7510 and thought it quite good for the price. Now this one comes in being better maybe. WOW...

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I couldn't agree more. I have been listening to the headphone amp on the 7520 and comparing it to my headamp (Graham Slee Solo with PSU1). The Solo is better - it creates a depth to the sound that the TC7520 can't quite match.... but it comes closer than I expected and if I didn't already own the Slee I would be very tempted (and happy) to stick with the built-in headamp.

I can't compare the DAC to others (its the 1st external DAC i've heard) but am very happy with its performance, its brought my digital music to life.

Feb 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #40 of 50
I see both listed, and was wondering what differences there are between the 2. Are they the same units, or is one modified or are they just using a similar set up and completly different from one another?

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb5881 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see both listed, and was wondering what differences there are between the 2. Are they the same units, or is one modified or are they just using a similar set up and completly different from one another?

Patu, maybe you could make a new thread about the 7520?

Stanley says that both sides, the amp and the dac are new and reworked. I bet the new 7520 will be a killer, at least anywhere else but here.

btw I'm already waiting for some wiseass head-fier to come and trash this thread again.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #42 of 50
Quote:

Stanley says that both sides, the amp and the dac are new and reworked. I bet the new 7520 will be a killer, at least anywhere else but here.

btw I'm already waiting for some wiseass head-fier to come and trash this thread again.

Sigh.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/que...esford-381839/

No response as yet from Mr Beresford on his catalogue of lies and intimidation.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Didn't have to wait long....did we.

Feb 6, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Didn't have to wait long....did we.

Nope. Looks like it only took 37 minutes.

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #45 of 50
Well, I may have to order one of the new 7520 units. As you know I tried the 7510 and I really liked specially at under $200 for a dac/amp combo.

If the mods/improvements live up to the expectations it would be a very nice unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back