Beresford Bushmaster MKII appreciation thread
Jul 19, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #122 of 143
  Well, i don't have a lot of money, and before that decision i want to get SMSL SD-793II or Fiio E10K. 
I though i'll spend on dac obout 50-70 Euros, so MK II is a big leap for me! :)

make the leap and forget about dac for some years....I am in your situation and dont regret it ....i bought mine used and i had the last upgrade ......
popcorn.gif
the price beresford sell it now is the price i bought it one year ago ....

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #124 of 143
  Paid'n'wait mode on! 
biggrin.gif

BTW, can you tell ew wirds about upbrade? I mean improvement over old version.

the two upgrade i bought were subtle but very audible betterment across the board... stan is a genius...his dac are underpriced....good luck to you
smile.gif

Jul 20, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #125 of 143
Greetings ppl!

Looking for my first dac\amp, and wonder - is this Beresford Bushmaster MK2 good enough as a first one for a while?

I have Takstar Pro80 32 Ohm and gonna get DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm. And maybe Audiotechnika ATH AD-900...

Any advices? 

It is an excellent DAC for a first DAC.
Better than the first two DACs I bought! :D

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #126 of 143
Me again!
Well, i'm a "happy" owner now, i guess... But...
When i turn it on it light up all leds, and after it all they fade out and no more signs of life there remains.
I mean if i'll press "status" button and find proper input - it shows blue light, and after selection it switches off again.
I've connected it via optical to my soundcard.
Try to enable Auto mode - no effect - dac won't scan inputs for active signal input...
And - in my Takstar Pro80 i don't hear difference between my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer output and my new dac.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #127 of 143
  Me again!
Well, i'm a "happy" owner now, i guess... But...
When i turn it on it light up all leds, and after it all they fade out and no more signs of life there remains.
I mean if i'll press "status" button and find proper input - it shows blue light, and after selection it switches off again.
I've connected it via optical to my soundcard.
Try to enable Auto mode - no effect - dac won't scan inputs for active signal input...
And - in my Takstar Pro80 i don't hear difference between my X-Fi Xtreme Gamer output and my new dac.

congratulations....For your little problem i think if you email stan he will help you ...i dont have any problem after reading out the manual.... but i forgot all that instructions
atsmile.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #129 of 143
  Yeah, 10x. 
biggrin.gif

The problem is not in leds, the problem is in sound. I don't hear noticable difference with my soundcard...

i dont know for your soundcard ... but for me there is a great difference between the two....My bushmaster was a great improvement on my other dac  ( Hifimediy dac)  and the hifimediy dac was a great  improvement over the soundcard.....
L3000.gif
i dont understand that you dont hear that.... 

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #131 of 143
To hear differences - if any - you need to control many variables. One of the most important IME is to match volumes.

Years ago I could hear no difference between the 4W/50-ohm Schiit Lyr and a 0.5W Meier Concerto driving my Audez'e LCD2 rev 1 - and said so! I was chastened later to discover - once I'd matched levels - the differences were very large (e.g. the Concerto sounded comparatively thin though light and quick. Dry, by comparison - decays didn't have long tails as with the Lyr).

Dac differences tend to be more subtle than amps - and both are a lot more subtle than headphones and speakers. When I ran a dac comparison some years back I found dac differences were only apparent in about 1 in five or 1 in ten of a pool of tracks I started with. Using relaxed, non-focused attention is important too. With familiar material we tend to hear what we 'know' the tracks sound like! Whereas two headphones can be different enough to overcome this memory/attention problem, the subtleties of two dacs or amps makes differences harder to find.

However, once you hear the differences I find I can't 'unhear' them. They're usually small with dacs but sometimes critically important - e.g. a little more or less resolution; a little more or less low-level detail; a little more or less bass texture...

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #132 of 143
To hear differences - if any - you need to control many variables. One of the most important IME is to match volumes.

Years ago I could hear no difference between the 4W/50-ohm Schiit Lyr and a 0.5W Meier Concerto driving my Audez'e LCD2 rev 1 - and said so! I was chastened later to discover - once I'd matched levels - the differences were very large (e.g. the Concerto sounded comparatively thin though light and quick. Dry, by comparison - decays didn't have long tails as with the Lyr).

Dac differences tend to be more subtle than amps - and both are a lot more subtle than headphones and speakers. When I ran a dac comparison some years back I found dac differences were only apparent in about 1 in five or 1 in ten of a pool of tracks I started with. Using relaxed, non-focused attention is important too. With familiar material we tend to hear what we 'know' the tracks sound like! Whereas two headphones can be different enough to overcome this memory/attention problem, the subtleties of two dacs or amps makes differences harder to find.

However, once you hear the differences I find I can't 'unhear' them. They're usually small with dacs but sometimes critically important - e.g. a little more or less resolution; a little more or less low-level detail; a little more or less bass texture...

very important and interesting observations thank you very much.... Its important also to have good cable to hear something in some case.....
popcorn.gif

Jul 31, 2015 at 11:20 PM Post #133 of 143
^ Thanks :beerchug: I forgot to mention that once I measured the sound levels I found I had been listening to the little Concerto several dBA louder than the Lyr - yet I had carefully 'matched by ear' and was sure I was "listening at the same level". It seems listening to the Concerto louder 'compensated' for the differences I later heard; an interesting finding in itself!

Aug 11, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #134 of 143
So the final word on the upgrade chip for the Bushmaster is...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back