Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Dec 8, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #286 of 324
The 7510 MK6 that I had drove 601s with no issues. It is an adequate amp for 701 I am certain.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #287 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, that's really funny, you seem to have completely ignored the question I posed to you.
Was it a little difficult to understand?

Looking at various threads of late, you have asked me MANY questions. Even I get bored of them by now. Try asking in general and perhaps someone else would have a bit more patience.

Dec 8, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #288 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at various threads of late, you have asked me MANY questions. Even I get bored of them by now. Try asking in general and perhaps someone else would have a bit more patience.

Why so defensive? Mr_Sukebe was just trying to understand some apparent contradictions in some fairly sweeping statments that you throw out. If you don't want to have your comments commented on then don't post them on a public forum
wink.gif

From my own point of view, I think you [Herandu] are a happy and enthusiastic Beresford user. No worries with that. As I am currently considering buying either a Beresford Mk6/3 or a second hand MHDT Dialogue II, I have read pretty much all I can on the Beresford.

I think a few qualifications to your [Herandus'] statements eg "in my opinion, in my set up, your mileage my vary" etc, would go a long way. I have no doubt it is good value but wonder how good it really is.

There are so many mini round up reviews by contributors on heaphones, IEMs and amps, home and portable, but less so on DACs it seems, which is a shame

Anyway cheers everyone

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #289 of 324
Quote:

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But my take is that you appear to have made contradictory statements, and are unwilling to explain them.
Your never ending "7510 is so good that I've messed myself" really makes me wonder about whether you're getting royalties.
Again, I have owned one and thought that it was good value for money. What it is NOT is capable of out performing a high end DAC. Yet you seem unwilling to say that.

Quite the contrary, in the thread on high end DACs you actually have the temerity to make a statement of:

Quote:

I fully agree with you that the DAC1 at its price range isn't doing itself any favours by using cheap opamps. Where does the rest of its U$1000 price tag come from? The TC-7510 digital audio receiver, DAC chip and opamp output stage cost about the same as the DAC1, give or take a couple of U$. But at the price difference between the two I would be looking for OP627, low ESR electrolytic caps, gold plated PCB, etc in the DAC1.
The high end DAC market seems to be a mugs game for most of the time.

When I previously asked you about your experience on high DACs, you first stated that you'd heard thousands, but then failed to say which high end DACs you've used. That would almost make me think that you've heard thousands of cheapo Chinese import DVD player DACs, and that you've never really heard a decent high end DAC in a suitable system.

The key point is that these forums are used as part of the buying decision process by a number of people. Your incessant statement that the 7510 is so ace infers is almost certainly likely to influence people's buying decisions (including my own).
What is needed is a little more "reality" applied to the situation based upon genuine experience with some decent kit across a wider spectrum. It's useful for people to know that the 7510 IS A GOOD DAC at it's price point, just that they should be aware that there's life beyond it.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:32 AM Post #290 of 324
Quote:

Again, I have owned one and thought that it was good value for money. What it is NOT is capable of out performing a high end DAC. Yet you seem unwilling to say that.

When I previously asked you about your experience on high DACs, you first stated that you'd heard thousands, but then failed to say which high end DACs you've used. That would almost make me think that you've heard thousands of cheapo Chinese import DVD player DACs, and that you've never really heard a decent high end DAC in a suitable system.

There you go again, making claims to confuse potential DAC buyers. The TC-7510 is quite capable of matching and even outperforming many overpriced DACs that masquerade themselves as high end, purely because they are expensive.

As for what you ALMOST think: kindly note that in the UK there are no cheap Chinese made DACs on sale as far as I know. The TC-7510 is not Chinese either, but it is the least expensive DAC in the UK. All others are a lot more expensive, and by quite a large margin.
As for your comments about a decent high-end DAC and what I have listened to: the language of a bitter man I see.

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #291 of 324
Quote:

The TC-7510 is quite capable of matching and even outperforming many overpriced DACs that masquerade themselves as high end, purely because they are expensive.

In your opinion
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #292 of 324
Quote:

We Dutch have a word for people like you. Perhaps it is in my mental translation from Dutch to English that causes you so much blood pressure?

You speak Dutch??
Stanley Beresford also speaks Dutch. What an interesting coincidence. Another one...

Dec 8, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #293 of 324
Quote:

There you go again, making claims to confuse potential DAC buyers. The TC-7510 is quite capable of matching and even outperforming many overpriced DACs that masquerade themselves as high end, purely because they are expensive.

May I remind you of this thread.
You remind me of this famous line: "I reject your reality and substitute my own"

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #294 of 324
Quote:

As for what you ALMOST think: kindly note that in the UK there are no cheap Chinese made DACs on sale as far as I know. The TC-7510 is not Chinese either, but it is the least expensive DAC in the UK. All others are a lot more expensive, and by quite a large margin.
As for your comments about a decent high-end DAC and what I have listened to: the language of a bitter man I see.

I think you should back off a bit. The Beresford is a very good dac but your defense of this dac is giving it a name that it may not recover from. Being over-hype is probably worst in this case than being under-hyped. In this case for your defense of it you have actually over-hyped this dac. Now people will be less willing just to take the chance on it like I did; to which I am not sorry that I did take the chance.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:44 PM Post #295 of 324
Quote:

The key point is that these forums are used as part of the buying decision process by a number of people. Your incessant statement that the 7510 is so ace infers is almost certainly likely to influence people's buying decisions (including my own).
What is needed is a little more "reality" applied to the situation based upon genuine experience with some decent kit across a wider spectrum. It's useful for people to know that the 7510 IS A GOOD DAC at it's price point, just that they should be aware that there's life beyond it.

Since I have yet to read a double blind test comparing hi-priced DACs to the Beresford, I have no reason to believe that it does not perform as well as some high priced DACs. It is strange that people want to hold Herendu to a different standard because he says it sounds better or as good as much more expensive DACs, but no one is grilling the people for their blind test results when they say it doesn't sound as good as high priced DACs. In other words, we are just trusting subjective opinions and he has his OPINION and they have their OPINION.

Buying any audio components without hearing them is a crapshoot and making your decision on one person's opinion on a forum is more your fault than the person that posts it. The last time I checked Stanley offers a no questions asked guarantee and he has a high satisfaction rate on Ebay. These should help people come to their own conclusions.

Dec 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #296 of 324
Quote:

Ref a low priced DAC, I could happily quote the Behringer SRC2496, available for slightly less than the cost of the 7510. No it's not as functionally strong, but I've heard a mildly modded unit and IMO it was easily better than a 7510. What I haven't heard is a non-modded SRC, which is why I can't comment from experience.

And experience of different DACs is what you're still unwilling to state. You keep saying it's capable of out performing high end DACs. Go on, just name the ones that you have actually USED and compared to the 7510.

Otherwise, your claim of "capable of ..." is frankly groundless.

Dec 8, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #297 of 324
Quote:

Ref a low priced DAC, I could happily quote the Behringer SRC2496, available for slightly less than the cost of the 7510. No it's not as functionally strong, but I've heard a mildly modded unit and IMO it was easily better than a 7510. What I haven't heard is a non-modded SRC, which is why I can't comment from experience.

And experience of different DACs is what you're still unwilling to state. You keep saying it's capable of out performing high end DACs. Go on, just name the ones that you have actually USED and compared to the 7510.

Otherwise, your claim of "capable of ..." is frankly groundless.

I have the Beresford (MKIII) and the SRC2496. The main thing that keeps me from recommending the SRC2496 as easily as the Beresford is the fact that some receivers have an issue with taking the "hot" signal from the XLR outputs. They also would have to buy an adapter if they have a receiver without XLR inputs.

Functionally, I think the SRC is a little better. It has less digital inputs, but it has more outputs. Also, you are not stuck with one sample rate (Converts 30 kHz to 100 kHz sample rates into 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88.2 kHz or 96 kHz) like you are with the Beresford (at least the one I own). It has dither control, emphasis, Analog to digital conversion, etc..

The Beresford does not have the XLR issues that some people have complained about with the SRC2496, so it will fit into more systems without a problem.

I have yet to do a blind comparison of the two of them, but I would say that they both work nicely in the systems I have them in.

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #298 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beresford is a very good dac but your defense of this dac is giving it a name that it may not recover from. Being over-hype is probably worst in this case than being under-hyped. In this case for your defense of it you have actually over-hyped this dac.

Herandu is lucky to have found his audio nirvana from Beresford. I personally are not so lucky and found it on par in comparison to my mod Pioneer DV667 player. Maybe it is me, maybe it is my system but I found it is a different sounding but no better. Right now I am settling on a DIY DAC 2x the price of Beresford and is very happy with it. Personal preferences play a part in here. The good thing about this DIY DAC is, it have build in feature to allow me to change the DAC to my taste. It can be NOS (non oversampling), OS, reclock, no reclock, 2 channel opamp on I/V, 2x 2 channel opamp on I/V, tube buffers I/V(extra). True balance output and multiple input with USB are there with extra pcb. Unlike Beresford, the seller is doing this part time and not very organise. Can be slow in reply and delivery. Nothing is perfect in this world I guess
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #299 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herandu is lucky to have found his audio nirvana from Beresford. I personally are not so lucky and found it on par in comparison to my mod Pioneer DV667 player. Maybe it is me, maybe it is my system but I found it is a different sounding but no better. Right now I am settling on a DIY DAC 2x the price of Beresford and is very happy with it. Personal preferences play a part in here. The good thing about this DIY DAC is, it have build in feature to allow me to change the DAC to my taste. It can be NOS (non oversampling), OS, reclock, no reclock, 2 channel opamp on I/V, 2x 2 channel opamp on I/V, tube buffers I/V(extra). True balance output and multiple input with USB are there with extra pcb. Unlike Beresford, the seller is doing this part time and not very organise. Can be slow in reply and delivery. Nothing is perfect in this world I guess
biggrin.gif

For you the most perfect thing is to please your ears. Nothing else really matters in this comparison.

Dec 9, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #300 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by SHLim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

what DAC is that??? sounds interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back