Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Nov 6, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #256 of 324
Is there any way to tell which unit you get, Mk6/3 or whatever?

Nov 7, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #257 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any way to tell which unit you get, Mk6/3 or whatever?

On his eBay listings, it's stated which version you are getting. On the website, I can only assume that all of the ones being ordered directly are the latest revision (MK6/3).

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #258 of 324
Hey gang,

Well, it's official. I replaced a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v1 with the TC-7510 Mk6.

At first, the Beresford was harsh and brittle, and I was really freaked; it literally took about 100 hours for it to develop its proper sound, which was a vast improvement. If I doubted break-in before, I don't now.

The Beresford is definitely significantly more detailed than the 640C, in resolution and transients. On some pieces, it's hard to tell, and on others, it stands out like a nun at a Tool concert. As for tonal balance, I find the two to be somewhat opposites: The CA seems a smidge rolled off at the very top, and whereas I think the Beresford extends further. In the lower highs, the CA is either neutral or a bit prominent, and I think the TC-7510 is even a bit more out there. There's a certain brightness and liveliness coming from some frequencies that probably isn't neutral. The midrange on both is quite balanced, and hard to find differences in. In the bass, I think the TC-7510 is a bit more extended and prominent, but it's possibly not quite as tight as the Cambridge; I'm still evaluating this and trying to express it. These differences ARE quite subtle, mind you.

In concrete terms, these differences amount to things like strings and piano, for example, being much more full-bodied, detailed, and having their harmonics in the right proportions on the Beresford.

I also believe the TC-7510 has a slightly larger and more separated soundstage, but this is a minimal difference, and hard to discern on my headphones, on which I do most of my listening.

Because of the extra highs and extra detail, I find the TC-7510 to be a lively unit, whereas the 640C lands on the side of mellow and soothing, but a bit frustrating due to its veil which becomes apparent when you compare it to a more detailed unit like the TC-7510, and its extreme end rolloffs. Depending on the album, the 640C is often a smidge more musical, despite its flaws, but on the right lively kind of material, the TC-7510 really rocks out.

My comparison was mostly done through my Beyerdynamic DT 250/250 headphones, using the headphone jack on my NAD T742 receiver. This isn't a perfect headphone solution, as I get hiss through the NAD, but it's suprisingly good for a receiver, actually. I do prefer to use the headphone jack on my TC-7510 though, which is tad better (probably due to the obviously more direct and unpolluted signal path), but even it has some hiss driving my high impedance 'phones.

In all, I decided the TC-7510 MK6 was a keeper and the CA 640C was a goner, as I had to choose one and couldn't keep both (would've if I could've). I broke even on the swap, improved my CD performance, added high-quality sound to my computer, and even unexpectedly found out that the Beresford DAC/headphone combination blows away the DAC/headphone combo on my Digidesign Mbox 2. I now have a more accurate monitoring environment for my budding audio engineering pursuits.

The TC-7510 MK6 is a great value and a very good DAC. I've compared it to exactly 2 sources, a Cambridge 640C v1 CD player ($450 CDN 2 years ago) and a Digidesign Mbox 2 ($500, includes Pro Tools). On my Beyerdynamic DT 250/250 headphones ($280), the Beresford is mostly better than the Cambridge (I've opted to keep the Beresford and sell the Cambridge), and miles better than the MBox. So, there ya go.

Keep the comparisons coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah...I'm considering doing the MK6 -> MK6/3 mods pretty soon just to see if these can take away my few nits with this DAC. Anyone have experience and details that they can share with me about the sonic improvements??

Nov 7, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #259 of 324
Nice review. Thanks for that.

I'm awaiting a MK6/3 of my own. I'll compare it to my Bolder Mensa modded ART DI/O and an old AMC DAC8. Should be fun.

Nov 7, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #260 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by PascalT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it just me or did the prices on their website go up by about 20-25.00?
frown.gif

Manufacturing cost increase due to the oil price increases? Just guessing. I myself have started buying a number of items now that I had planned to buy next month. Christmas is coming, and with the oil prices going up the manufacturers are bound to push up their prices if their costs go up. Worrying times indeed
frown.gif
As far as the TC-7510 price is concerned: email Stanley and ask. I am getting stick for taking up these things with him so I am keeping out from it from now on. Got to look after No1
wink.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #261 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On his eBay listings, it's stated which version you are getting. On the website, I can only assume that all of the ones being ordered directly are the latest revision (MK6/3).

I emailed Stand directly and discussed what I wanted with him. He told me to send the paypal payment and the rest is history. There are no details on the unit to show which unit you have. It all depends on whether you purchase directly from him as I did and got the MK6/3 or the slightly older ones that were still available on the ebay listing. Now I have two DACs this one and the Lavry DA10 for two different setups.

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #262 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed Stand directly and discussed what I wanted with him. He told me to send the paypal payment and the rest is history. There are no details on the unit to show which unit you have. It all depends on whether you purchase directly from him as I did and got the MK6/3 or the slightly older ones that were still available on the ebay listing. Now I have two DACs this one and the Lavry DA10 for two different setups.

Do compare them if you can find the time. I think many people want another opinion on how much of a difference around $800 makes in the DAC world.
biggrin.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #263 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do compare them if you can find the time. I think many people want another opinion on how much of a difference around $800 makes in the DAC world.
biggrin.gif

I will do this but it will be at least this weekend before I can get to it.

My equipment train that I plan on using is M-Audio USB audiophile into the Beresford while using the HagUSB-XLR into the Lavry. Both will feed my Yamamoto. Volume setting may be an issue. I will have to think about that. Maybe I can use my Line Router to get the same digital signal into different DACs.

Nov 8, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #264 of 324
I found the Lavry to be significantly more pleasing to my ears (everythnig from the bass to the highs and that terrific soundstage that the Lavry has) than the Mark 4 version. It would be interesting to hear comments on the Mark6/3 as I gave my beresford to my son and was looking to get Ori's DAC.

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:09 AM Post #265 of 324
I have the 7510 Mk VI/3, and I am experiencing an audible hiss coming from the headphones when I'm using it's headphone output, not at all loud, but still audible when nothing is playing (can't really notice it while listening to music, even during quiet passages), regardless of the position of the volume knob. The same hissing exists even when the device is turned off (but still connected to the power supply). I reason that it shouldn't have anything to do with my electrical installation, since I can't hear any hissing from my cd-players headphone output. I have replaced the included switching power supply with a 13.8V/3A stabilized one, but the hissing persists.
The device has had no more than 30 hours of use.
I'm currently using the Beresford with low-impedance headphones, waiting for a pair of K701's to arrive.
Anyone experiencing the same hissing?
Any idea what the cause might be?

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #266 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by send /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 7510 Mk VI/3, and I am experiencing an audible hiss.........
Anyone experiencing the same hissing?
Any idea what the cause might be?

Yeah, I have it too, using the stock power supply. Even with DAC off. Don't know what's causing it. Maybe some ground-loop issue. Hmm, just noticed that when DAC is off and you turn volume knob, the hiss gets louder. This doesn't bode well I say.
eek.gif

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:44 PM Post #267 of 324
If you got low impedance headphones and very good hearing you can pick up a low hiss at about -98dB the last time I measured it. From my datasheet I picked out that the hiss is coming from the headphone amp section. The hiss vanishes once you use a higher impedance headphone. On my HD650 it is dead quiet.
Mind you, on my older MKI the hiss was a problem that got improved from the MKII as I recall. But I grew up with vinyl and cassette tape. The hiss and noise level on those was easily 15 to 20 dB worse!!!!

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #268 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I grew up with vinyl and cassette tape. The hiss and noise level on those was easily 15 to 20 dB worse!!!!

hehe, it's funny you say that

because a lot of kids these days are growing up with mp3 and the compression distortion and artifacts on these are also very high!

there's still place for analog!

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #269 of 324
Well the Ori Dac is better. Obviously it should be considering the price lol. I like mine but have not really been able to spend much time with it due to a lack of an amp. This is soon to be rectified with the arrival of a TAD 60 amp.

From my limited listening, the Ori is a much more organic sounding dac than the Beresford. The Ori is not at all fatiguing even at high volume. In fact, I have to watch it b/c I listen at what I think is a reasonable level only to go upstairs and hear just how loud it actually is lol.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #270 of 324
I think (I am a noob) I can notice an hiss myself starting a bit before you reach the middle of potentiometer on the dac, using asio foobat and a good quality optical cable. Unfortunatly still no amp yet...
Hd595 and an audigy 2 nx usb, the chaintech arrived today so I'll see if it brings any improvement (but I doubt).
Good thing you can (or at least me) just notice it with no music playing
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back