Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Nov 28, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #271 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think (I am a noob) I can notice an hiss myself starting a bit before you reach the middle of potentiometer on the dac, using asio foobat and a good quality optical cable. Unfortunatly still no amp yet...
Hd595 and an audigy 2 nx usb, the chaintech arrived today so I'll see if it brings any improvement (but I doubt).
Good thing you can (or at least me) just notice it with no music playing
wink.gif

you mean that when the volume knob is muted, no hissing comes out and that hissing begins (with no music playing) as you turn the volume knob?
That's not at all what I'm experiencing, the hissing is present even if the knob is turned all the way down (even if the unit is turned off!), and does not increase at all as I turn the knob all the way up.
And I repeat, this doesn't seem to affect at all the rca output. The dac does definitely not sound like a 200$ unit when connected to my main system!

Nov 28, 2007 at 10:46 PM Post #272 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by send /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean that when the volume knob is muted, no hissing comes out and that hissing begins (with no music playing) as you turn the volume knob?
That's not at all what I'm experiencing, the hissing is present even if the knob is turned all the way down (even if the unit is turned off!), and does not increase at all as I turn the knob all the way up.
And I repeat, this doesn't seem to affect at all the rca output. The dac does definitely not sound like a 200$ unit when connected to my main system!

Ok, no so is a totally different problem!

I'm actually fighting wiht the chaintec now
mad.gif

Nov 30, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #273 of 324
I have my beresford getting its signal from Winamp using direct kernel streaming of ALAC files. Optical out to the Beresford and using it's headphone amp for Alessandro MS2i's. No hiss, no humm, VERY good sound. I'll be interested to hear the difference when the DV 336i comes out from under the Christmas tree in a few weeks!!! Great little DAC!!!

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #274 of 324
I am about to purchase the Beresford TC-7510 MK5. Is their much difference between the mk5 and mk6 sonically?

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #275 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you got low impedance headphones and very good hearing you can pick up a low hiss at about -98dB the last time I measured it. From my datasheet I picked out that the hiss is coming from the headphone amp section. The hiss vanishes once you use a higher impedance headphone. On my HD650 it is dead quiet.

you were right, it seems the low impedance of the headphones I used was indeed the culprit, with the K701's I listened carefully, but couldn't pick out any hissing at all.

Dec 7, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #276 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to purchase the Beresford TC-7510 MK5. Is their much difference between the mk5 and mk6 sonically?

Apparently so. See Herandu's comments on the mk6v3.
From his comments, anything but the 6.3 is pretty much a waste of time.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #277 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Different sound signature, but still one of the best DACs ever to be released for less than U$200. Hasn't got the same bass extension as the 6/3, but unless you got a set of 10" or larger speakers with a 100W power amp and music with a lot of sub 50 Hz content, I would say go for it.
Don't be discouraged by what some moaners say, and the different MK versions. My MK5 on a 13.5V linear power supply is being listened to every day. I have my satellite, PS2 and DVB-T box wired to it going to a set of active speakers, with my bed right in between the lot. I have no complaints for what I use it for.

Dec 7, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #278 of 324
Let me quote a comment from Herdandu from another thread in this forum:

Quote:

Did you own the 7510 MK6/3, or one of the earlier versions? I doubt it was the 6/3. People on hifiwigwam and pinkfishmedia are going all crazy for the 6/3 and right now it seems to be the only recommended option below the price of the DAC1.

To me that suggests that either:
1. The mk3 is much better, in which case the mk6 (v??) that I had was not fully representative of the present state of the art for the 7510, and that this poster SHOULD be holding out for the mk6.3.
2. The mk3 is only better if you have big 10" drivers, in which case your post here is a little misleading.

Dec 7, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #279 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me quote a comment from Herdandu from another thread in this forum:

To me that suggests that either:
1. The mk3 is much better, in which case the mk6 (v??) that I had was not fully representative of the present state of the art for the 7510, and that this poster SHOULD be holding out for the mk6.3.
2. The mk3 is only better if you have big 10" drivers, in which case your post here is a little misleading.

We Dutch have a word for people like you. Perhaps it is in my mental translation from Dutch to English that causes you so much blood pressure?

To put it simple for anyone thinking of trying out a Beresford, no matter which version it is: each and every 7510 version was/is better than anything else in its price range. And they can after all be tweaked to perform even better. At the same time there are no long threads like "The Mod your Beresford thread" since they have fewer issues than any of the budget DACs. The 7510 is not the only DAC in the world, but judging by the amount of threads across quite a few websites spread across the globe in several different languages it surely has found favour with the knowledgeable crowd. The few who don't like the 7510 always appear to come across like bad sports with an axe to grind, rather than genuine audiophiles with a fair opinion.

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #280 of 324
Quote:

To put it simple for anyone thinking of trying out a Beresford, no matter which version it is: each and every 7510 version was/is better than anything else in its price range.

You aren't getting payed for this?

Dec 7, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #281 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by send /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you were right, it seems the low impedance of the headphones I used was indeed the culprit, with the K701's I listened carefully, but couldn't pick out any hissing at all.

K701's are also low impedance.

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #285 of 324
Quote:

We Dutch have a word for people like you. Perhaps it is in my mental translation from Dutch to English that causes you so much blood pressure?

To put it simple for anyone thinking of trying out a Beresford, no matter which version it is: each and every 7510 version was/is better than anything else in its price range. And they can after all be tweaked to perform even better. At the same time there are no long threads like "The Mod your Beresford thread" since they have fewer issues than any of the budget DACs. The 7510 is not the only DAC in the world, but judging by the amount of threads across quite a few websites spread across the globe in several different languages it surely has found favour with the knowledgeable crowd. The few who don't like the 7510 always appear to come across like bad sports with an axe to grind, rather than genuine audiophiles with a fair opinion.

Hey, that's really funny, you seem to have completely ignored the question I posed to you.
Was it a little difficult to understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back