Beresford 7510 MK 6 Mini Review/comparison
Oct 12, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #211 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herandu what is the Maplin PSU you are using?

Also MK IV is same PCB as MK I with mods right?

I just checked on the Maplin site but they don't list it any more. If I can find their catalogue number I'll PM it to you.

yes, the MKI is the same PCB as the MK4 with mods.

Oct 13, 2007 at 7:52 AM Post #212 of 324
Thanks again... if you don't find it at least what are the specs?... is it SMPS? I wander how it compares with the 6's "virtual battery." Even though I haven't tried it I susepct SLA might be cleaner but would fall short due to limitations of chemical batteries... not to mention a PITA to work with if you listen a lot. Damn I wish I didn't suffer this upgradeitis I am really pretty satisfied with my sound system the way it is but I want to see if it can get any better! Maybe I should just mod look at modding my MKII. Then again I think I'm going to move from an integrated to seperates and if the "pre" in the MK6 is good enough then maybe it will save me having to get a pre (then I will have to work on a remote!)

On a different slightly different topic... I see one of the guys in this thread mentioned Norah Jones as sample material. I tried to listen to "what am I to you?" It now sounds totally unlistenable/ruined. My buddy told me "thats because your system is now so much more revealing..." so I loaded up the track in an analyzer and sure enough it is an absolutely terrible recording.... extremely compressed with tonnes of clipping.

Oct 13, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #214 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks again... if you don't find it at least what are the specs?... is it SMPS? I wander how it compares with the 6's "virtual battery." Even though I haven't tried it I susepct SLA might be cleaner but would fall short due to limitations of chemical batteries... not to mention a PITA to work with if you listen a lot. Damn I wish I didn't suffer this upgradeitis I am really pretty satisfied with my sound system the way it is but I want to see if it can get any better! Maybe I should just mod look at modding my MKII. Then again I think I'm going to move from an integrated to seperates and if the "pre" in the MK6 is good enough then maybe it will save me having to get a pre (then I will have to work on a remote!)

The Maplin universal adapter is 5A. It needs to be used at 13.5V with the MK1 to MKV. It's a waste of time using it on the MK6. I tried it on all sorts of music with power supply draining bass, but the Virtual DC power supply does seem to be rock stable and never started to huff and puff.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #216 of 324
Oct 13, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #218 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAmish /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm. There is a 10% off sale at the Home Hi-Fi site for the Mk 6 if purchased this weekend (October 13 & 14). Wonder if it is a better redbook CD source than my Sony SCD-CE595?

Modded it will probably offer a bit more detail and extension. After having thought about it a bit I think it sounds like the iMod w/ a touch less grain perhaps. Very clean and clear w/ a neutral tone.

You might be better served getting the Sony modded.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #219 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Modded it will probably offer a bit more detail and extension. After having thought about it a bit I think it sounds like the iMod w/ a touch less grain perhaps. Very clean and clear w/ a neutral tone.

You might be better served getting the Sony modded.

I've heard that the Sony mod is quite good, but I was also thinking about saving my pennies & getting an Ori modded Zhoalu (sp?) as a potentially more versatile option. I'll be able to hear one for myself in a few weeks at a local meet, but perhaps that is the subject for another thread. I admit though, for 10% off, the Beresford is hard to resist due to the company's money back policy. No question, head-fi will be the financial death of me.
tongue.gif

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #220 of 324
I've got two questions that should be pretty easy to answer.

The MK6 does not have issues with the included power supply? Let me rephrase that, there shouldn't be a need to upgrade it?

The other is just the basic info about Fierce_freak's mods, such as how he handles it (should I order it from Home HIFI and then send it to him) and the pricing.

I'm still debating how I'm going to go, but the MK6 seems to fit the bill the best, and since I don't think the Beyer 770-250s are too picky about amps it should be a good fit. I guess if nothing else I can always sell it on here.

Oct 16, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #221 of 324
Yeah there's no reason to upgrade the psu and I think Stanley will do the mods himself if you want. Just contact him. Get the highs and lows modded and something else herandu mentioned but i don't know what it is.

should be a great match for the 770.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #222 of 324
Just found this review here:

http://www.headphonesrock.com/beresford-tc-7510.html

"Many of you are probably wondering about the headphone amplifier section. In short, the sound coming through the headphone amp sounds great. All of the detail that this DAC is capable of producing comes through unhindered through the headphone jack. I suspect alot of this might be due to the amplifier circuitry be directly fed by the DAC, avoiding interconnects and other things that can hinder sound (when connecting different components). The soundstage is also very wide and imaging is excellent. Although I experienced a very small amount of sibilance I found that the Beresford TC-7510 sounded better than Little Dot MKIV SE being fed by the Dice as well as the Stereo-link 1400."

eek.gif
Is this true? If so, I may as well just get a TC-7510 Mk 6 to replace my Mk III, as opposed to buying a Little Dot MK III....

Oct 17, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #223 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
Is this true? If so, I may as well just get a TC-7510 Mk 6 to replace my Mk III, as opposed to buying a Little Dot MK III....

I don't know about customers outside Europe, but the European ones tend to get a repeat customer's discount or "goody" bag with free cables. It might be worth asking about that before you place an order.

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #224 of 324
The free cables aren't always a sure thing. Stanley originally offered a free digital cable of my choice with my dac as a "weekend special". When I received the dac without the bonus cable I asked him about it and he claimed he didn't remember receiving my response email with my cable choice and that it would cost over $20 to post one out to me at this point. He suggested I go to monoprice and order a cable through them instead. Not that big a deal, but still not fun to be promised a cable, then told to purchase my own. Also, he claims to be the originator of both mods currently going around when it seems like they were Herandu's original ideas.

Regardless, I am happy with the dac at it's price point and am nearing the 100 hour mark burn-in wise so I'll eventually get the unit modded as well. I hope to be able to maximize the ability of this dac while saving up for a balanced dac like the apogee, or used electrocompaniet to complete a fully balanced system.

Oct 17, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #225 of 324
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He suggested I go to monoprice and order a cable through them instead. Not that big a deal, but still not fun to be promised a cable, then told to purchase my own. Also, he claims to be the originator of both mods currently going around when it seems like they were Herandu's original ideas.

From what I gather he offered to cover your cost for ordering a cable more locally. I do email him my mods in case they turn out to be worthwhile and practical to add to the production line. He even calls the latest mod the H mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back