Beresford 7510 MK 6 - initial impressions
Aug 23, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many amps is your PS?

My 13.5v amp is only 1A, while the original 12v amp is 1.7A.
It's the voltage which is important. Note that I checked the voltage with a multimeter.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #32 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Beresford 7510 MarkV and an RSA Hornet (original non-M version), with both Shure E4c and Beyer DT880 headphones. The Hornet absolutely slays the builtin headphone amp in the Beresford when using the higher impedance (and much more capable) DT880's. The Hornet is better in every way. Better attack, better bass, less congestion, louder clean volumes, ...

I've not had experience with many other headphone amps, but I'd call the built-in Beresford headphone amp decent at best. The DAC is quite good, it deserves to play through a good amp!

I'd like to second this. I should have the mk5 (bought mine maybe a month or two ago before the mk6 came). I have it hooked up to a heed canamp. and when comparing the headphone out on the two, there is a striking difference in the bass. The mk5 seems bloaty and loud, whereas the canamp's bass is tight and controlled. The mk5's bass in my opinion adds to the congestion because of its great bass quantity (with the lack of quality). Whereas the canamp's bass is has the quality and in my opinion, because of the quality, it's less in quantity than the mk5.

Other more minute differences I cannot distinguish, because I've not made anymore attempts to use the mk5's headphone out.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #33 of 64
@ omega and lostone - the stuff you've just said about beresford's sound in your last posts is regarding only it's headphone amp and headphone out, or the dac in general (through it's speaker outputs as well)?

Aug 23, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 64
drk, I believe thy are referring to the headphone out only. I've also found it not good with my DT880 and K81Dj. Lost dynamics with the first, really bloated bass with the second. Possibly it is OK with Grado headphones.

Aug 23, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #35 of 64
The headphone amp was a low cost addition to the Beresford from what I understand, and you would have to spend as much on another headamp to the value of the whole DAC just to beat it. That makes it more than decent I would say.
The so called bloated bass in in fact the lower bass frequencies that the headphone amp can re-produce. I listen to reggae and all that sort of stuff with bass going down to DVD frequencies, rather than just the CD 20Hz cut off point. The headphone amp can pick those low frequencies out where other headamps I have tried failed.

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #36 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to reggae and all that sort of stuff with bass going down to DVD frequencies, rather than just the CD 20Hz cut off point. The headphone amp can pick those low frequencies out where other headamps I have tried failed.

The CD has now lower limit. Some hardware may have some low pass filters, but the CD format (PCM 16/44.1) can go as low as you want.

I own a bass test CD that starts at 10hz. And the guys who are developing Rotary Subwoofers generate PCM tones down below 1hz.

DVD's are losslessly compressed PCM tones anyhow.

Aug 23, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by zsevgymko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
drk, I believe thy are referring to the headphone out only. I've also found it not good with my DT880 and K81Dj. Lost dynamics with the first, really bloated bass with the second. Possibly it is OK with Grado headphones.

ok, so that does not apply to line-out (speakers out). thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CD has now lower limit. Some hardware may have some low pass filters, but the CD format (PCM 16/44.1) can go as low as you want.

I own a bass test CD that starts at 10hz. And the guys who are developing Rotary Subwoofers generate PCM tones down below 1hz.

DVD's are losslessly compressed PCM tones anyhow.

That's interesting to know. If you got the ISBN number or any other number of that CD I won't mind ordering one. My Technics and Philips ones don't go below 20Hz.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #39 of 64
Quote:

That's interesting to know. If you got the ISBN number or any other number of that CD I won't mind ordering one. My Technics and Philips ones don't go below 20Hz.

http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Check that out, it's a freebie. Remember to use the Pink Noise at the end to set the volume first. Anything 20-25hz and under and it's really easy to crank your volume entirely too high to try and hear anything.

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #40 of 64
i'm fairly sure that frequency response and its (in)ability to be reproduced is dependant on the hardware, not the medium. signal to noise ratio? maybe

deep bass is also not to be confused with flabby, bloated bass, ie quantity and quality they are very different things

i've heard headphone amps and DACs that take the bass right down low and never sound bloated. if this happens chances are it's distortion or there is a lack of power in the headphone output circuitry

Aug 23, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

Check that out, it's a freebie. Remember to use the Pink Noise at the end to set the volume first. Anything 20-25hz and under and it's really easy to crank your volume entirely too high to try and hear anything.

Thanks for the link. I have a very good equalizer that I use as a frequency analyzer in order to get a visual display of things. I don't use it to play music in general, but it does get switched on when I test certain things. I guess it's a habit from my job of working with RF frequencies.

Aug 23, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #42 of 64
Got mine today. 4-Day shipping from Taiwan to Virginia ain't bad lol.

Out of the box impressions are good. Detail is there. Seems to be pretty clear. More to come but it might be better stock than the Zhalou 2.5C.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #43 of 64
What technology (over sampling, up sampling, NOS) and DAC chip is the latest version based on? I researched them before buying my Zhaolu 2.5C and couldn't find any info so I didn't pursue it. If I remember correctly, the marking on the chips were erased. Is that still the case?

I don't understand that marketing approach at all....
confused.gif

Thanks!

Jim

Aug 24, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got mine today. 4-Day shipping from Taiwan to Virginia ain't bad lol.

Out of the box impressions are good. Detail is there. Seems to be pretty clear. More to come but it might be better stock than the Zhalou 2.5C.

please do give us impressions regarding sound when you form them
smily_headphones1.gif
. i'm personally really interested in how neutral it is, and about detail and soundstage...

Aug 24, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

From what I understand, the chip details were erased in order to slow the Chinese down from copying it and selling it even cheaper before it could make a name for itself. It's not marketing: it's a fact of life that Chinese engineers are the biggest exponents of fake goods development.

Isn't the Beresford a Chinese DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back