Benjie Offical Thread
Jan 29, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #1,141 of 2,126
If I'm not wrong Benjie S5 uses the action atj2127 which is used in the ruizu x02 so why is there a difference in sound quality?

Because the chip is only a small part of the player. In my experience the same chip can be implemented to sound vastly different in different devices.

A good example is the Sabre chip that's very popular these days. I've probably heard around 15 different devices that uses it and while some of the sound very similar, others one would never guess that they uses the same chip.

In my experience implementation is much more important than what hardware that's being used.

Jan 29, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #1,142 of 2,126
Because the chip is only a small part of the player. In my experience the same chip can be implemented to sound vastly different in different devices.

A good example is the Sabre chip that's very popular these days. I've probably heard around 15 different devices that uses it and while some of the sound very similar, others one would never guess that they uses the same chip.

In my experience implementation is much more important than what hardware that's being used.
I have both X02 and S5 and they do sound different. And over at the headfi RMAA thread, it is assumed that the X02 has output capacitors which cause frequency roll off

Jan 29, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #1,143 of 2,126
Mm if only the X1 had Bluetooth. Would make it a good transport for sports.

Might get it anyway since my S5 has died and I need something light when running rather than lug my XDP-300R.

Hopefully the headphone jack is more durable than the one on the S5.

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #1,147 of 2,126
  Does T6 have FM radio/ FM&Voice Recording feature?

1. Brand Name:Benjie
  2. Screen size:1.8 polegadas
  3. Audio Format Support:MP3, WMA, Wav, Ape, Flac
  4. Function:E-book reading, FM Radio, Voice Recorder
  5. Package:Yes
  6. Supports recording function:Yes
  7. Storage Medium:Flash Memory
  8. Screen:Yes
  9. Specification Battery:Polymer battery
  10. Battery life:> 20 hours
  11. Supports FM:Yes
  12. Style:Mp3
  13. Mode of operation:contact Tone
  14. Have speakers or not:No

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:12 PM Post #1,148 of 2,126
  Hi PJABBER, can u compare it to any DAP that u have...

At a US$40-50 price point the Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 is certainly competitive in terms of component hardware and build quality. It is potentially a compact powerhouse, but the initial firmware does not take full advantage of the hardware, including not yet being able to play spec'd DSD and some HiRes mp3 file formats. The T6 does NOT have E-book reading, FM Radio or Voice Recorder, though some other Benjie models do in some combination. The T-series Benjies are designed as High Fi music players only.

Benjie sent me a new manufacturing firmware a couple of weeks ago but I don't have a bootloader to install it. With China still enjoying their New Year holiday it might be another week or more before I get them to come back with a way to load the new firmware for further evaluation.

Alternatively, do keep an eye out for the AGPtek branded "Rocker," essentially a re-badged Benjie T6. AGPtek is working on new firmware with both Benjie and Rockbox, which should make for quite interesting DAPs when ready! 

You can check out my profile for the headphones I am using, but I also use Fostex PM-1 MkII monitors that are room EQ corrected and balanced through a Roland/Edirol M-16DX digital mixer for analytical listening and two separate Paradigm and Klipsch 5.1 setups that are EQ corrected and balanced with Audyssey MultEQ though a Denon AVR-2309CI receiver. I use a Fluance Fi50 for Bluetooth listening. 

At the moment I can directly compare the T6 with a Fiio X3II, an xDuoo X2 and the SanDisk Sansa Clip+. All auditioned music files are in a variety of FLAC and 24bit mp3 formats saved on a 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card. I use 2L's HiRes Test Bench selections for consistency - http://www.2l.no/hires/ - but also have a further variety of favorite classical, jazz and EDM selections in FLAC for reference listening.

I actually had three BJ-T6 units ordered directly from Shenzhen Benjie in China at the end of 2016, two of which I gifted. One is being used by a teenager who says he hears background noise that he does not hear with a Sansa Clip+. From his comments I initially thought he had a defective sample but when I tried to hear this for myself over the weekend I could not. Likely he has better hearing than I do. I'll let him try out my T6 this coming weekend to see if he hears the same noise floor with that sample.

OK, in comparison -

I recently purchased a Fiio X3II which I then updated to firmware V2.0. The Fiio is certainly a more sophisticated unit with mature firmware, albeit twice the size and weight and more than three times the price of the Benjie. No contest, the Fiio has a much more comprehensive and detailed UI. The Benjie's current UI is primitive in comparison, though it does have file organization essentials (Folders, Albums, Songs, Playlists, Genres, Artists, Favorites, Bookmarks, Recent,) a ten band EQ, high and low gain settings, etc. The T6 has Bluetooth, the Fiio does not. Without any EQing, the sound of the Fiio is more transparent/airy. I really appreciate the Fiio's quality and flexibility to adjust output but have thus far not opted for EQing in daily listening. Winner for classical and jazz - Fiio, pop and EDM - tied. The Fiio X3II really is at least two steps above the T6 overall, three if a solid UI is valued. However, if the T6 firmware update delivers what is promised the sound quality might only be one level better with the Fiio, which would make the T6 quite a better value for the price. Time will tell.

I am just starting to listen critically to an xDuoo X2. Unlike the Fiio X3II, this DAP is more directly comparable to the T6 in relative size, UI simplicity and feature set. Ease of use is about the same for the two but the T6 can show album art, where the X2 cannot. No Bluetooth for the X2 either. The size, weight, rounded form factor and buttons of the X2 are better than the T6 for daily carry. The xDuoo is really a fun player and, un-EQ'd, I have grown to prefer it's bolder (higher amp'd) sound to the Sansa Clip+, but not sure that I would prefer it to the T6 once the pending firmware update is in place.The X2 is also not directly comparable to the Fiio, I find the Fiio is better for classical, jazz and critical listening while I go to the xDuoo for EDM, house and the like.The T6 is somewhere in the middle in terms of sound definition but, again, I need to wait for the firmware update before making any kind of definitive statement here. The T6 would be a step upgrade to the X2 at around the same price.

The 8GB Sansa Clip+ is the lightest, most portable DAP I have and the most convenient for travel. It holds its own feature and UI wise, but I now prefer to use the other DAPs when I don't care about extreme portability. The Sansa has an FM radio, which I do not use for music but found very useful in the past when there was breaking news, so you might find a benefit there as well. The Sansa does not have Bluetooth either. I have used the Clip+ for a number of years and it has always had great battery life and reliability. In comparison to the smooth contours of the Clip+ and the X2, the T6 has a very solid metal body with sharp edges which you will feel in hand or a pants pocket. Soundwise, the Sans Clip+ comes in last in this comparison, the amping is weaker and this shows even when paired with the highly efficient IEMs and headphones that I use. 

You may find the following comparison testing site to be helpful, though it has not tested the Benjie yet -

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/report/dac.php

This is another site that does a good job in comparing DAPs, including the ones I have, again, other than the Benjie -

http://headphoniaks.com/blog/categoria/reviews/reproductores/

Price, shape, weight and size notwithstanding, I would first go with the Fiio for reasonably portable critical listening, followed by a tie between the current firmware version Benjie and the Xduoo, and trailed by the Sansa Clip+.

The Benjie T6 is the only DAP I have with Bluetooth, and a good implementation of it even in the current firmware. I personally find this feature very useful in sharing music with more than one person at a time. If you need an inexpensive Bluetooth capable DAP, the Benjie T6 is going to be especially worth considering.

If you don't need to buy a DAP this very moment, I would still hold off on buying a T6 until it is confirmed that new firmware is fully in manufacturing and we all get more of a chance to audition. As I noted at the start, watch for both the AGPtek and updated Benjie versions of this DAP, the hardware and firmware are likely to be the same other than branding differences and AGPtek has certainly made firmware updates a lot easier to access than Benjie.

I expect to offer a more detailed review once I get the firmware updated on the T6 to the latest version. 

Jan 30, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,149 of 2,126
Thanks PJABBER for the detail explanation. Really appreciate it.
The comparison with x3ii also helpful coz I own the x3 first gen and x2. Based on info in agptek rocker, it seems that the DAC is the same as applied in fiio m3, which I find not really impressive.
I'm tempted to give t6 a try taking advantage the pre sale offer by Benjie. But I'm not sure whether this is just a gimmick or real sale. They put that the rrp will be around 100usd.
On form factor, I notice although it is smaller than x3 but not by much. Do u think it is comfortable enough to carry in ur pant pocket...

Jan 30, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #1,150 of 2,126
Thanks PJABBER for the detail explanation. Really appreciate it.
The comparison with x3ii also helpful coz I own the x3 first gen and x2. Based on info in agptek rocker, it seems that the DAC is the same as applied in fiio m3, which I find not really impressive.
I'm tempted to give t6 a try taking advantage the pre sale offer by Benjie. But I'm not sure whether this is just a gimmick or real sale. They put that the rrp will be around 100usd.
On form factor, I notice although it is smaller than x3 but not by much. Do u think it is comfortable enough to carry in ur pant pocket...

I don't have the full chip solution for the BJ-T6 but Benjie has said that it is based on the Ingenic X1000 (http://www.ingenic.com/en/?product/id/9.html) while AGPtek has indicated it has a Cirrus Logic CS42L51 codec as well (https://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proDatasheet/CS42L51_F2.pdf)  

By the way, some early re-sellers that I have seen on Alibaba are copying and pasting descriptions of non-T6 devices in their ads for the T6 so I would be cautious and only rely on direct info from Shenzhen Benjie once they release that info in February.

An early US$40-50 price for the BJ-T6 looks about right at the moment, but final suggested pricing is likely to be higher, depending on the competitive landscape of course. The Benjie marketing folks got back from the CES show in Las Vegas in mid-January and now should have figured out what the market is to set some final pricing. I have photos of their team and booth and they looked busy. I was quoted wholesale pricing and volume price points for the T6 in December and based on those numbers I would expect eventual retail pricing to be some amount over US$50 per unit, US$100 will be a stretch. 

The case is solid metal so it does weigh more than any comparable plastic DAP of its size. The size itself is perfectly pocketable but I am not particularly comfortable with the unbeveled edges of this small metal monolith. The edges and corners are quite sharp so they do tend to dig into your hand and might wear a hole in a pant pocket over time! Looks nice and executive laying on a desk, though!

Jan 30, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #1,151 of 2,126
  The T6 does NOT have E-book reading, FM Radio or Voice Recorder, though some other Benjie models do in some combination. The T-series Benjies are designed as High Fi music players only.

Many Thanks. Most Aliexpress seller don't always carefully fill the actual product description. They always copy&paste from one to another, and the Benjie official site does not provide too much detial therefore I have to rely on a person who actually bought it. Same case with Benjie X1, some seller said it can play video (avi, amv) but as soon as I opened package and looked up its manual there is not mentioned that feature.

Jan 31, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,153 of 2,126

Many Thanks. Most Aliexpress seller don't always carefully fill the actual product description. They always copy&paste from one to another, and the Benjie official site does not provide too much detial therefore I have to rely on a person who actually bought it. Same case with Benjie X1, some seller said it can play video (avi, amv) but as soon as I opened package and looked up its manual there is not mentioned that feature.

My Copy and paste came from the Benjie store so the T6 info should be correct.

Jan 31, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #1,154 of 2,126
Jan 31, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #1,155 of 2,126
  I checked from this link.

Benjie Store link
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/Pre-Sale-BENJIE-1-8-TFT-Screen-Full-Zinc-Alloy-Lossless-HiFi-MP3-Music-Player-Support/32789808122.html?shortkey=MFNZrUrE&addresstype=600

Users who are viewing this thread

Back