Benefits of angled drivers?
Jun 11, 2009 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

koop

Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of hd595s which have angled drivers. These have been used mainly for music and heavy gaming. I always thought the angled drivers helped with positioning in games since things seemed to be presented in front of me.

I am looking for a closed alternative to these headphones and was curious if angled drivers are better for gaming. There seems to be a much wider selection of non-angled headphones available.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 15
The main benefit of angled drivers is indeed the soundstage. I've only had one angled driver headphone (two if you count K701's angled pads to have the same effect; this is disputed), the AD700, which does have excellent soundstage (but it is open). Even stuff like Bose Triport have decent soundstaging for a closed headphone due to their angled drivers (not that I recommend that, mind you).

I believe Sony XB series are closed and also have angled drivers? But I cannot comment on their soundstaging abilities as I don't own it. Perhaps some XB700 owners can help out here. There is also CD3000, though these WILL cost you.

Jun 11, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 15
you can angle pretty much any phone, like I did

and yes, the SS becomes much more entertraining...instead of a boring L/R you get a stunning ±180º headstage
smily_headphones1.gif

I've owned a cd1k(same drivers/housing as the cd3k) for 10 years, I got bad habits
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Hmm. Was kinda hoping that the angled driver thing was more of a gimmick than anything. My selection is pretty much 0 for a closed can with angled drivers in the sub $200 range so it seems.(correct me if I'm wrong).

Ide be curious to hear other peoples results with this mod. I would prefer not to have to modify my headphones though.

Jun 11, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 15
Closed, angled drivers, sub-$200? A700s.

I can't comment on improvement in sound stage though, since I don't have anything to compare them to. Trying to borrow a pair of HD555s, but haven't got them yet.

Jun 12, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #6 of 15
i was actually considering the Beyer 770 05 edition or the new Shure 840s, however i know the Beyer isn't angled and I doubt the Shure is either. I will look into the a700's though.

Any other closed phones with angled drivers? I suppose I could venture into the $300 territory since I dont want to downgrade from my hd595's.

Jun 13, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #8 of 15
Sony SA5000 (possibly 1000 and 3000), ATH M50, Sony 7509HD, some studio Apex headphones I have, all have angled drivers just to name a few. Other phones have angled pads to create the same type of concept.

Happy Listening!

Jun 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #9 of 15
Angled drivers help the sound stage.
This is very easy to spot with the K1000 as they are adjustable. The more you swivel them out the larger the sound stage.

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 15
I suppose the opposite of an angled-driver pair would be Grados with their daring "always parallel to your ears" driver alignment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Angled drivers help the sound stage.
This is very easy to spot with the K1000 as they are adjustable. The more you swivel them out the larger the sound stage.

but there's a limit I think? at least on my DT770...If I angle too much, the brain is not fooled anymore, and it just sounds hollow and too far.
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the opposite of an angled-driver pair would be Grados with their daring "always parallel to your ears" driver alignment.
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe due to patents or sumthing? like Pioneer and the slot-in system.

I really don't see ANY point to not angle the drivers.

Jun 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a mistake to focus on just one aspect of the design like that. Overall sound is the important thing, regardless of how it is achieved.

Exactly. You're better off trying the phones, seeing what suites you the best. When you find out what you like most, get it and than look up all the reasons why it sounds so awesome to you, for fun's sake.

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #14 of 15
I disagree, as nothing works better than angled drivers...if all the top phones have it(r10/hd800/cd3k/k1k/etc), there's a very good reason. a plain L/R soundstage is boring to death IMO.

Jun 16, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #15 of 15
Angling the drivers in front of your ears helps with spatial cues. Your brain is used to live sound bouncing off your outer ears and then into them. This is why the K-1000 sounds so realistic and why I've never been entirely happy with IEMs.

Closing the back on angled drivers would be a tough engineering nut to crack. You'd have to compensate for reflected soundwaves and other acoustic nasties you get from sealing things. My guess is that a pair would be big, heavy and the insulation/damping would keep your ears nice and warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back