Benchmark Media Systems DAC1 (headphone amp)
Jun 20, 2003 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

KR...

Curator of the Headphone Lust Museum
In the lastest issue of Stereophile, John Marks Reviews the Benchmark Media Systems DAC1 as both a DAC and a Headphone Amp. Just wanted to let you guys know.

fab4-lighter.jpg

check out their website here :

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/default.asp

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 21
What did they say about the headphone amp performance?

BTW, Benchmark also sells the headphone circuitry separately.

Its called the HPA-2

Here is a pic.

HPA2web.jpg

It's basicly a headphone amp on a jack.

I did mention their older HPA-1 a while back.

Jun 20, 2003 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 21
He loved it as a DAC, but thought that the Grace 901 was a better Headphone Amp, but this is a better DAC. The Grace 901 also cost a lot more. The makers and the writer both say that this DAC can turn any DVD Player (even $50 ones
eek.gif
) into a legit Audiophile source. He used the Senn HD600 with them.

Jun 20, 2003 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 21
KR... - you could have listened to mine at the last Grado meet!

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
which one?

the dac1. i listened to it a bit when i was discussing and trying out the w2002 and w100 headphones with jpelg. it seems to be a neat little machine, and i wonder if it could get even better when using a nice transport (was hooked up to a portable).

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
the dac1. i listened to it a bit when i was discussing and trying out the w2002 and w100 headphones with jpelg. it seems to be a neat little machine, and i wonder if it could get even better when using a nice transport (was hooked up to a portable).

oh that little thing! Yeah, too bad it was hooked up to a portable
frown.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
oh that little thing! Yeah, too bad it was hooked up to a portable
frown.gif

What happened to the idea of using it with the $50 machine being acceptable? Can't believe it? haha.

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:00 PM Post #9 of 21
This DAC has some sort of jitter attenuation, and if done right that has the effect of rendering the quality of the source totally irrelevant. As long as the source doesn't contain any actual errors or deviates from standard - some portables have optical outs that wouldn't satisfy these criteria.

Jun 20, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

oh that little thing! Yeah, too bad it was hooked up to a portable.

But you didn't listen to it, did you? Just because the portable was driving it?

You might have been suprised, even with the portable as the source, despite its diminutive size.

Jun 20, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

that's a $50 DVD player!

Doesn't matter. Portable CDP, full-sized DVD player. Either will work with the DAC1.

Jun 20, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

not all transports are the same you know

Must...fight....
...the...urge...
...for... sarcasm....

Whew! OK. The moment has passed
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2003 at 8:55 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

not all transports are the same you know

If you pass them through asynchronous reclocker (not sample rate converter!), they are (provided the bitstream is bit perfect, i.e. non-scratched CDs or error correction working fine, none of which should be an issue). In practice you might get secondary effects that would still make a measurable difference (i.e. jitter rejection is not infinite especially in < 1kHz range), signal always makes it way backwards from chips to power rails to other chips after reclocker etc.). But with ideal hardware you'd get signals that are identical in time domain (i.e. literally identical). I'm not very good at hearing very subtle differences (I can hear different cables but it is not obvious; replacing clock in a cd player with low jitter one was quite obvious though) but I should test this theory in practice as I have one of those reclocking DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back