Benchmark Media Systems DAC1 (headphone amp)
Jun 20, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by aos
If you pass them through asynchronous reclocker (not sample rate converter!), they are (provided the bitstream is bit perfect, i.e. non-scratched CDs or error correction working fine, none of which should be an issue). In practice you might get secondary effects that would still make a measurable difference (i.e. jitter rejection is not infinite especially in < 1kHz range), signal always makes it way backwards from chips to power rails to other chips after reclocker etc.). But with ideal hardware you'd get signals that are identical in time domain (i.e. literally identical). I'm not very good at hearing very subtle differences (I can hear different cables but it is not obvious; replacing clock in a cd player with low jitter one was quite obvious though) but I should test this theory in practice as I have one of those reclocking DACs.

Perfect example to prove that Transports make a huge difference is the Wadia 301 and 831, they both have the same DAC, just different cases and Transports, yet NO ONE thinks they sound the same. In theory, 0's and 1's are 0's and 1's but in theory power cords shouldn't make a difference either. What can i say?

Jun 20, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #17 of 21
I didn't say that in general case a transport doesn't make a difference - it does (audibility is a different question) - just that it won't in the case that you have an asynchronous reclocker. These are however quite rare (some Wadias should have them from what I heard). Streams of 0's and 1's from different transports are not the same even in theory but those differences can be largely elliminated.

Jun 20, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
not all transports are the same you know

i agree. if i hook any dac up to my cary, the difference is incredible from anything else i own that can provide me with a digital signal (dvd players, computer, etc.).

i was actually interested in hearing the dac1 hooked up to my cary to see if there was much discernible difference but there wasn't really an opportunity for that. neat amp though anyway.. but i do believe the pdac is cheaper and has a lot less "useless" options (who here is actually going to use aes/ebu input).

Jun 20, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #20 of 21
Just to clarify, I was not refering to pdac (it doesn't have reclocker though it has a low jitter receiver, and that would be pretty blatant advertising anyhow) by the way, but to Marc Heilinger's group DIY DAC.

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:52 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i agree. if i hook any dac up to my cary, the difference is incredible from anything else i own that can provide me with a digital signal (dvd players, computer, etc.).

i was actually interested in hearing the dac1 hooked up to my cary to see if there was much discernible difference but there wasn't really an opportunity for that. neat amp though anyway.. but i do believe the pdac is cheaper and has a lot less "useless" options (who here is actually going to use aes/ebu input).

I actually tried that Stereophile recommendation (Mfr's Comments) of the $50 Apex fronting the DAC1, thru a pair of BeyerDynamic 880's. It sounded very good to me, but it's main drawback, with which I could not live, was the total lack of any 'read out'. So I went back to the Apex Source - Walmart - and picked up the next more expensive DVD player, a Sanyo DWM-390 for $80, which has a nice basic readout. It replaced the Apex, and is what I am now using (this minute) and it sounds fine enough for me. I am using the player's optical out as a TOSLINK cable was easy to locate at Best Buy. I have this settup in my PC hutch and listen whilst computing. I also tried the audio output of my Plextor (el cheapo DAC's) and there was a =marked= improvement
which there ought to be. I used to have golden ears, but alas, after 70 years the receptors are not what they once were (vast understatement) but I'm here to tell you that this Sanyo - DAC1- Beyer 880 combo is not to be sneezed at. I could easily listen to this for my main system, which right now, it is.
With my hearing being what it is
I need more volume on my L/R rig than my wife can tolerate. Which is what brought me to this forum in the first place. Nice chatting with you, and thanks to all for these ideas (880 & DAC1). Can't beat the convenience so long as you have a nearby AC outlet. <grin> Bat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back