Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Oct 14, 2021 at 12:09 AM Post #1,216 of 1,410
Interesting. But there’s a gap in my understanding. Is the issue simply a matter of not being compatible w/ power-hungry cans? Or is sound quality impacted by lower voltage inputs? In other words, will my (easy-to-drive) Utopia sound worse if driven by my TT2 in DAC mode vs Amp mode ‘cranked up’, assuming I adjust the HPA4 to match volume?

Thanks.
I'm not sure how the TT2 does things. If you have to put it into a completely different, non-DAC, mode to output higher voltages, there's a chance that could impact the noise floor or something. I'd really suggest a DAC designed specifically to output +24 dBu in its intended DAC configuration.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,217 of 1,410
I'm not sure how the TT2 does things. If you have to put it into a completely different, non-DAC, mode to output higher voltages, there's a chance that could impact the noise floor or something. I'd really suggest a DAC designed specifically to output +24 dBu in its intended DAC configuration.
Sorry, I just used TT2 as a simple example. Only diff between DAC and Amp mode is fixed vs variable output. DAC mode is 4 V (or maybe 4.5). Manual specifically mentions using Amp mode when paired with equipment (amps or powered speakers) which needs higher input levels.

So, to rephrase, consider two hypothetical DACs with approximately equal quality, one of which outputs 4V and the other which outputs 12V. Will the lower output of the one DAC negatively impact sound quality, assuming output to cans for which the HPA4 still has sufficient gain.

Oct 14, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #1,218 of 1,410
Sorry, I just used TT2 as a simple example. Only diff between DAC and Amp mode is fixed vs variable output. DAC mode is 4 V (or maybe 4.5). Manual specifically mentions using Amp mode when paired with equipment (amps or powered speakers) which needs higher input levels.

So, to rephrase, consider two hypothetical DACs with approximately equal quality, one of which outputs 4V and the other which outputs 12V. Will the lower output of the one DAC negatively impact sound quality, assuming output to cans for which the HPA4 still has sufficient gain.
Theoretically you should have a lower noise floor if the DAC is able to push a higher voltage into the amp, since the amp has to then amplify voltage to a lesser degree (which amplifies both the noise floor and the music equally). The amp still has to "amplify" current, of course, but it has to do that anyways regardless of what voltage it's being fed.

Oct 14, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,219 of 1,410
Theoretically you should have a lower noise floor if the DAC is able to push a higher voltage into the amp, since the amp has to then amplify voltage to a lesser degree (which amplifies both the noise floor and the music equally). The amp still has to "amplify" current, of course, but it has to do that anyways regardless of what voltage it's being fed.
O
K, lower noise floor makes sense. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,222 of 1,410
hi guys, do u think dac3 or chord qutest which one is better to go with hpa4?

I A/B'd those two DACs at one point, and I thought the DAC3-B sounded better than the Qutest. The Benchmark DAC had more detail and more precise imaging. It wasn't a world of difference, but I did get to the point where I could easily tell them apart and I preferred the DAC3-B.

Plus, paired with the HPA4, the DAC and amp work together as seamlessly as an all-in-one and form a rather compact, unobtrusive cube on the desk.

Oct 24, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #1,223 of 1,410
hi guys, do u think dac3 or chord qutest which one is better to go with hpa4?
I had both in my system at one point and like @phthora I found the the DAC3L to have the slight edge in clarity (Qutest in 'incisive neutral' setting).
I also experimented with different power options for the Qutest: the stock PSU, iFi PSU and Uptone LPS. Didn't change my opinion.
The Qutest has SE output only, so its possible the balanced out of the DAC3 was the difference (I only compared balanced out of DAC3 to the SE out of the Qutest).
If pairing with the HPA4 then a DAC with balanced output makes sense.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #1,224 of 1,410
Has anyone ever compared the Benchmark to any of the Flux offerings? I know there’s a massive difference in price but I’m trying to decide on an end game amp for my HEKs.

Oct 31, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,225 of 1,410
Has anyone ever compared the Benchmark to any of the Flux offerings? I know there’s a massive difference in price but I’m trying to decide on an end game amp for my HEKs.
You may get information from @DarKu, or visit his site: https://soundnews.net/ where he reviewed both amps.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,229 of 1,410
This may have been addressed before, but other than power, is there any difference between the HPA4 and AHB2 for headphones?
The AHB2 is a power amplifier for speakers, I don't see much in common between these two products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back