Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Dec 7, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #1,246 of 1,410
Yes same here. Bt am not an IEM guy not because of ear wax. To me headphone>speakers as well. Though I admit speakers sound better. I just dont have the space and money to invest. HPA-4 would be awesome even for IEM and Speakers as they have pre amp.
agree. and iems are quite "expensive" to me relative to its size to performance/price ratio. I only got some midfi iems but barely use them unless I'm travelling, still prefer my headphone. I remember bringing my he1000v2 in the mall powered by Ifi iDsd black, just enough to drive it, albeit not the fullest. Imagine the sound leak but still used it instead of my iem lol.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,247 of 1,410
Makes sense. I guess those people just weren't used to super transparent amps, and were sort of used to the "coloring" that less engineered amps usually do to tame the treble a bit.

And does the HPA4 pair well with tube pre-amps?

Perhaps. I found the biggest change from my previous amp, a class-A, was bass bloom. My old amp just had a pervasive blanket of warmth over everything from that bloom, and that caused the treble to get a little washed out and caused me to lower the volume a bit. The HPA4 doesn't have that coloration, so the treble tends to be more noticeable. It's also much more detailed. But I doubt when volume-matched that the measured treble is any lower on my old amp. With actual music, a lot of things influence the perception of sound.

I imagine it has to do with people assuming that the HPA4 sounds just like the cheaper THX implementations, such as the Drop 789, without having heard the former. They do not sound the same. The 789 has a thinness to it that can make the treble sound particularly etched and often unpleasant. That is likely what people are referring to when they talk about treble issues with THX tech. That thinnness is not present in the HPA4 though.

I haven't used a tube pre-amp fed to the HPA4, but some people here have and I know that it's at least a viable option.

Hi the HPA 4 is pure linear amplifier that based on science and measurement. So there is no added or alteration going on, what you are hearing is what you get, from interconnect and cables, music recordings, headphones and your dac. So mileage may vary some might find too neutral and boring and some might find clinical and harsh with that treble depending on headphones. Its a perfect monitoring amplifier and evaluation of audio gear, of course music as well. This beast will expose the flaws of the recordings and your other source such as your headphones. Pairing HPA 4 with Class A solid state will be a dream of having best of both world.

You're not wrong. It's just that nothing is this unaltered and clean. Usually not even remotely. Since that is what most people are used to, the HPA4 does sound like it's doing something active to the sound. It doesn't help most people to just say that the HPA4 doesn't alter the sound at all, not unless they've already heard the amp.

But, I suppose I could sum up what I said in another way: the HPA4 doesn't aggravate any of the issues that a headphone might already have, while other amps often aggravate very minor issues into major issues simply through their coloration or lack of control; so, headphones that are perceived as having a problem area might hear that lessened significantly on the HPA4.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,248 of 1,410
Perhaps. I found the biggest change from my previous amp, a class-A, was bass bloom. My old amp just had a pervasive blanket of warmth over everything from that bloom, and that caused the treble to get a little washed out and caused me to lower the volume a bit. The HPA4 doesn't have that coloration, so the treble tends to be more noticeable. It's also much more detailed. But I doubt when volume-matched that the measured treble is any lower on my old amp. With actual music, a lot of things influence the perception of sound.

I imagine it has to do with people assuming that the HPA4 sounds just like the cheaper THX implementations, such as the Drop 789, without having heard the former. They do not sound the same. The 789 has a thinness to it that can make the treble sound particularly etched and often unpleasant. That is likely what people are referring to when they talk about treble issues with THX tech. That thinnness is not present in the HPA4 though.

I haven't used a tube pre-amp fed to the HPA4, but some people here have and I know that it's at least a viable option.

You're not wrong. It's just that nothing is this unaltered and clean. Usually not even remotely. Since that is what most people are used to, the HPA4 does sound like it's doing something active to the sound. It doesn't help most people to just say that the HPA4 doesn't alter the sound at all, not unless they've already heard the amp.

But, I suppose I could sum up what I said in another way: the HPA4 doesn't aggravate any of the issues that a headphone might already have, while other amps often aggravate very minor issues into major issues simply through their coloration or lack of control; so, headphones that are perceived as having a problem area might hear that lessened significantly on the HPA4.
Hi what do you mean though ? "headphones that are perceived as having a problem area might hear that lessened significantly on the HPA4" meaning so its the headphone flaws and nothing to do with the HPA-4 ? And if the HPA-4 is doing something active to the sound, meaning it could only be heard if using specific headphones such as hard to drive dynamic and planar ? To me, normally any weakness that the headphone perceived are normally reveal by the amplifier itself which is the HPA-4. Truth is I already know even without demoing and hearing it, but even so, I know the HPA4 does sound like it's doing something active to the sound but then again it depends on the headphones or even perception of music and I was referring in general by the way.

As for the THX 789 and the HPA-4, they do sound the same, the only difference can be heard if using headphone that able to scale higher. Otherwise, no use but there is a diminishing returns just a matter of whether the headphone can resolve information to indicate the prowess of the HPA-4 over THX 789.

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,249 of 1,410
Hi what do you mean though ? "headphones that are perceived as having a problem area might hear that lessened significantly on the HPA4" meaning so its the headphone flaws and nothing to do with the HPA-4 ? And if the HPA-4 is doing something active to the sound, meaning it could only be heard if using specific headphones such as hard to drive dynamic and planar ? To me, normally any weakness that the headphone perceived are normally reveal by the amplifier itself which is the HPA-4. Truth is I already know even without demoing and hearing it, but even so, I know the HPA4 does sound like it's doing something active to the sound but then again it depends on the headphones or even perception of music and I was referring in general by the way.

For example, take a headphone that has slow, boomy bass and pair it with an amp that delivers slow, boomy bass and you often get a mushy muddy mess. Take that same headphone and pair it with the HPA4, and that slowness and boominess is considerably lessened because the amp is adding nothing to it and is able to control the drivers well enough for them to deliver their best possible bass performance. The HPA4 does reveal the weakness of those headphones because you can hear them at their best and still hear a little too much bloom in the bass, and thus know it is the headphones that have the limitation. Yet, they still sound better there than on lesser gear.

As for the THX 789 and the HPA-4, they do sound the same, the only difference can be heard if using headphone that able to scale higher. Otherwise, no use but there is a diminishing returns just a matter of whether the headphone can resolve information to indicate the prowess of the HPA-4 over THX 789.

We'll just have to disagree about this. I've posted my comparisons on these two on this thread previously, and my mind hasn't changed on the matter.

Also, how can you expect to be taken seriously with your assertion when you say this just a few sentences earlier?

Truth is I already know even without demoing and hearing it, but even so, I know the HPA4 does sound like...

:rolling_eyes:

Dec 7, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,250 of 1,410
For example, take a headphone that has slow, boomy bass and pair it with an amp that delivers slow, boomy bass and you often get a mushy muddy mess. Take that same headphone and pair it with the HPA4, and that slowness and boominess is considerably lessened because the amp is adding nothing to it and is able to control the drivers well enough for them to deliver their best possible bass performance. The HPA4 does reveal the weakness of those headphones because you can hear them at their best and still hear a little too much bloom in the bass, and thus know it is the headphones that have the limitation. Yet, they still sound better there than on lesser gear.

We'll just have to disagree about this. I've posted my comparisons on these two on this thread previously, and my mind hasn't changed on the matter.

Also, how can you expect to be taken seriously with your assertion when you say this just a few sentences earlier?

:rolling_eyes:
Hi I dont know how to quote each of your statement so nevermind. Ok, I see what you mean by the example. Yes they reveal flaws but help in scaling and improve significantly. Yes, I can agree with that.

Secondly, I think I can remember which post but dont remember which threads regarding the comparison of the two. Sent the link if you dont mind. Also, you can disagree fine but you probably misunderstood me so nevermind. Thirdly, no I dont I dont expect to be taken seriously at all for someone who unable to demo it, and never will unless I can afford. Not sure what you mean by my assertion regarding my few sentences earlier so nevermind.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #1,252 of 1,410
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #1,255 of 1,410
So what is your setup man?
Going with the much more expensive Enleum AMP-23R and Chord DAVE (and HSA-1B for my SR1a). Too many units around and I need to clear up some space. :) I love this amp and it has been my goto amp for just over 2 years now.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #1,257 of 1,410
I suppose this is for Abyss and Susvara? Maybe ez to drive speakers?
Exactly...plus anything else. Both the HPA4 and AMP-23R work with my Susvara all the way down to IEMs (and everything in between).

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,259 of 1,410
Well, my HPA4 is now in a home where it will get the attention that it so rightly deserves. It is a killer amplifier and I hold it in very high regard!

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #1,260 of 1,410
Guys, I was on another forum discussing my interest in another/new headphone amp and someone highly recommended the HPA4, so I'm going to do a deep dive and read the current 84 pages here.

I'm sure you all are quite happy and would concur that the HPA4 could be an endgame-level headphone amp. I currently have an RME ADI-2 DAC and ZMF Verite Open & Auteur headphones. My current amp is the Bottle Head Crack and I was hoping to get into something at a different level and the upgrade is clearly no comparison. I'm mostly listening to Prog Rock (Rush, Yes, King Crimson, etc.) and getting into some jazz lately. The other amp I'm considering is the LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 or MZ3 (if I can afford it and sell some other gear). Hoping for some thoughts and what you all would advise?

Yes, I’ve fed my HPA4 with both a Feliks Echo 2 and an LTA MZ3. Provides some nice options depending on my listening mood. Also allows the HPA4 to drive the headphones while still getting the tube sound.

I would definitely be interested in your thoughts on the HPA4 vs. the LTA MZ3!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back