Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Dec 6, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,232 of 1,410
ahb2 is power amp, hpa4 is headphone amp. u can't plug headphone directly on ahb2 unless you utilize the speaker taps.

Well, assuming you use speaker taps, is there any difference between the HPA4 and AHB2 in terms of architecture or sound signature? Of course, AHB2 can give you way more power for hard to drive headphones, but I'm wondering if there's any other difference.

Dec 6, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #1,236 of 1,410
I was hearing that the HPA4 may have some issues with treble glare due to the THX architecture. Is there any merit to that? Or is it just people who are very sensitive to higher frequencies?

The HPA4 only has issues with treble glare if the headphones have treble glare. Actually, headphones that generally have treble glare (or muddy bass or congested soundstage or any number of other musical maladies) don't have quite as much of that smearing with the HPA4. The control and resolution that the amp provides reduces many of those such issues related to distortion or blurring of sound. If you are coming from an amp that is slower in the bass or warmer overall, the HPA4 might sound brighter to begin with, but really it is just more transparent. So, it won't artificially deaden those treble peaks, but it will often make them more tolerable just by presenting them so cleanly. If the headphones do have treble glare, IMO it's best to stick with the most capable and transparent amp you can afford and use an EQ program to address the specific frequency issues of the headphones.

Dec 7, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,237 of 1,410
The HPA4 only has issues with treble glare if the headphones have treble glare. Actually, headphones that generally have treble glare (or muddy bass or congested soundstage or any number of other musical maladies) don't have quite as much of that smearing with the HPA4. The control and resolution that the amp provides reduces many of those such issues related to distortion or blurring of sound. If you are coming from an amp that is slower in the bass or warmer overall, the HPA4 might sound brighter to begin with, but really it is just more transparent. So, it won't artificially deaden those treble peaks, but it will often make them more tolerable just by presenting them so cleanly. If the headphones do have treble glare, IMO it's best to stick with the most capable and transparent amp you can afford and use an EQ program to address the specific frequency issues of the headphones.

Makes sense. I guess those people just weren't used to super transparent amps, and were sort of used to the "coloring" that less engineered amps usually do to tame the treble a bit.

And does the HPA4 pair well with tube pre-amps?

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #1,238 of 1,410
Hi the HPA 4 is pure linear amplifier that based on science and measurement. So there is no added or alteration going on, what you are hearing is what you get, from interconnect and cables, music recordings, headphones and your dac. So mileage may vary some might find too neutral and boring and some might find clinical and harsh with that treble depending on headphones. Its a perfect monitoring amplifier and evaluation of audio gear, of course music as well. This beast will expose the flaws of the recordings and your other source such as your headphones. Pairing HPA 4 with Class A solid state will be a dream of having best of both world.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #1,239 of 1,410
Well, assuming you use speaker taps, is there any difference between the HPA4 and AHB2 in terms of architecture or sound signature? Of course, AHB2 can give you way more power for hard to drive headphones, but I'm wondering if there's any other difference.
I think there is a difference if you paired with super hard to drive headphones where they need slightly more power than the HPA-4, I mean after all AHB2 is a powered amp for speakers. Not all headphone can benefit from AHB2 of course where they might be distortion. Can anyone testify this statement ? Because am generalizing from experience with headphone amps and speaker amps when paired with inefficient planar.

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #1,240 of 1,410
Hi the HPA 4 is pure linear amplifier that based on science and measurement. So there is no added or alteration going on, what you are hearing is what you get, from interconnect and cables, music recordings, headphones and your dac. So mileage may vary some might find too neutral and boring and some might find clinical and harsh with that treble depending on headphones. Its a perfect monitoring amplifier and evaluation of audio gear, of course music as well. This beast will expose the flaws of the recordings and your other source such as your headphones. Pairing HPA 4 with Class A solid state will be a dream of having best of both world.
agree. In addition, the treble glare they're hearing could also be some hardened earwaxes on their ear canal which creates a wheezing, high-pitched sound. :wink:

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,241 of 1,410
agree. In addition, the treble glare they're hearing could also be some hardened earwaxes on their ear canal which creates a wheezing, high-pitched sound. :wink:
Is it ? I never knew about this, is there any science and evidence regarding your supported statement ? This is the first time am hearing. But this kind of statement and discussion going out of the topic of audio and music enjoyment already !

But come to think of it, no wonder it always sounds better once I clean my ear. Clean ear makes sound clear. Hard to put in words. Now its like am bullshitting.

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:41 AM Post #1,242 of 1,410
Is it ? I never knew about this, is there any science and evidence regarding your supported statement ? This is the first time am hearing. But this kind of statement and discussion going out of the topic of audio and music enjoyment already !

But come to think of it, no wonder it always sounds better once I clean my ear. Clean ear makes sound clear. Hard to put in words. Now its like am bullshitting.
im just kidding. :)

Dec 7, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,245 of 1,410
ah ic. hehe. maybe, it could be. That's the reason why I'm a headphonr guy and not an iem guy because my ears creates too much wax that I find it gross. Just the thought of it makes me puke. :p
Yes same here. Bt am not an IEM guy not because of ear wax. To me headphone>speakers as well. Though I admit speakers sound better. I just dont have the space and money to invest. HPA-4 would be awesome even for IEM and Speakers as they have pre amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back