Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Apr 2, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #661 of 1,410
I'm coming up to 2yrs ownership of the HPA4 and the Utopia has been my primary headphone over that time - superb sound IMO.
My Sennheiser HD600 and 58X headphones also sound great with the HPA4, but don't get that much use due to the Utopia.
I can't make any comparison to the GSX Mk2, but preferred the HPA4 to the Bryston BHA1 I was previously using.
Hi. I own both Utopia and Bryston, but I'm thinking in the near future to switch to HPA4 (essentially because I have a DAC3 and the pairing would be perfect), in which parameters did you find it superior?

Apr 2, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #662 of 1,410
Nice HPA you got there Tom, looks to be a great condition unit!

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #663 of 1,410
Would love to hear from anyone who has compared he HPA4 to the XI Formula S with Powerman.

Both are outstanding. The XI Formula S is on the warmer side of things and the HPA4 is bang on neutral to my ears without any hint of emphasis from any frequency range and a thus a tad more transparency and detail extraction. Power wise, they are pretty much the same. Can't go wrong with either.

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #664 of 1,410
Hi. I own both Utopia and Bryston, but I'm thinking in the near future to switch to HPA4 (essentially because I have a DAC3 and the pairing would be perfect), in which parameters did you find it superior?

Its some time since I switched from the BHA-1 to the HPA4, so probably my most reliable thoughts are those from the direct comparisons while I had both: Post #152 of 663
In addition to the SQ improvements noted above I'd also say that the HPA4 is a very versatile device. I had both the Bryston BP26 preamp and the BHA-1 and replaced both with the HPA4 - love the finely adjustable separate attenuators for preamp/headphone functions.

Apr 4, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #665 of 1,410
Both are outstanding. The XI Formula S is on the warmer side of things and the HPA4 is bang on neutral to my ears without any hint of emphasis from any frequency range and a thus a tad more transparency and detail extraction. Power wise, they are pretty much the same. Can't go wrong with either.
But Hpa4 have best wolume control on the market right? Its very nice to have wolume adjustment like that.

Apr 10, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #667 of 1,410
thinking about buying an HPA4. can it drive abyss 1266tc/susvara really well? im looking for a total endgame setup

Apr 11, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #668 of 1,410
Apr 11, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #669 of 1,410
Apr 11, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #670 of 1,410
Is sound affected if I use both the HPA4 balanced headphone out and the single ended out at the same time?

Thinking of doing quick a/b between VC and Stellia.

Apr 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #671 of 1,410
Is sound affected if I use both the HPA4 balanced headphone out and the single ended out at the same time?

Let us know what you think when you try it.

I'm reading thru the manual for the first time now and this is what it has to say on the matter, for what it's worth:

hp2.png

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #673 of 1,410
Running hpa4 with abyss 1266 on high gain 9 to.10am. Medium.gain 1pm. Hope this helps.

I must be missing something here... How are you switching between high and medium gain modes on the HPA4? For that matter, how are you determining the clock position of the unmarked knob? Did you mean to talk about some other amp?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #674 of 1,410
I must be missing something here... How are you switching between high and medium gain modes on the HPA4? For that matter, how are you determining the clock position of the unmarked knob? Did you mean to talk about some other amp?

Might be referring to input level boost?

I've tried this and it seems to work fine but volume control is awkward since there is no separate control for SE vs XLR. You'd have to use two headphones that have similar impedance/sensitivity otherwise the volume is wacky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back