Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #693 of 1,410
Kind of curious, how do you adjust the gain on this amp? Also, when I try to go above 0dB, I get clipping so I don't think that this amp is really meant to go that high...

What you're looking for is called 'input boost.' It's fairly easy to find in the manual or by exploring the touchscreen a bit.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #695 of 1,410
Thanks, I dunno why I didn't see that while browsing the settings. Can anyone explain why the RCA is so much louder than the XLR by default?

No problem. I only discovered this feature recently. I was so used to the word 'gain,' that it didn't register with me that input boost is just a way to describe gain.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #696 of 1,410
If the HPA4 is set to 0dB, isn't it just acting as a pass thru?
Interesting question. I believe the answer is: No more than any other volume setting would, so, not at all.

I think that would be the case only if the device was just a simple passive pre-amp

Maybe what 0dB does signify is that the output power happens to equal the input power, but no more than that.

@jsiau, if you're following the thread... ?

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #697 of 1,410
Hey guys, so I've noticed something interesting about the HPA4. Is it just me or is the RCA inputs louder than XLR? and not by a small margin either. I thought that XLR is supposed to have more gain. I thought it was my cables but when I swapped them out for another pair, the same results occurred where the RCA was much louder at the same volume.

Actually with the HPA4, the balanced and unbalanced outputs are the same...it is the inputs that should ideally be balanced. :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #698 of 1,410
1587774157811.png

Found this. Interesting though, my XLR inputs were left untouched yet RCA was louder, when it should be equal since they're boosted automatically to be matched?

Apr 30, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #699 of 1,410
Can someone please explain the power specs to me cause i keep reading reviews that say its 3 times more powerful than the thx789 but when i look at the specs i dont see it. The 789 is 6w and it looks like the hpa4 is as well? What am i missing lol

May 23, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #700 of 1,410
Got mine today. Now to save up for the other upgrades :darthsmile: :darthsmile: :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

May 23, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #704 of 1,410
I also got a HPA4 yesterday. I was wondering about the XLR interconnects that would work best. Benchmark says to use professional grade XLR that can carry a 24 dBu signal. I plan on buying the Benchmark XLRs to put in-between the HPA4 -> DAC3B - > AHB2. I was wondering if interconnects such as Audience XLR's are not as optimal. Though I am not sure at what signal level they are capable of operating. I am currently using Audience XLR's and the sound is great. I am left wondering if there is more to be had with the Benchmark XLR's?

May 24, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #705 of 1,410
I also got a HPA4 yesterday. I was wondering about the XLR interconnects that would work best. Benchmark says to use professional grade XLR that can carry a 24 dBu signal. I plan on buying the Benchmark XLRs to put in-between the HPA4 -> DAC3B - > AHB2. I was wondering if interconnects such as Audience XLR's are not as optimal. Though I am not sure at what signal level they are capable of operating. I am currently using Audience XLR's and the sound is great. I am left wondering if there is more to be had with the Benchmark XLR's?

I'm using the Audioquest Water XLRs from my DAVE into the HPA4 and love them! Such a transparent and clean sounding interconnect that gets lost in the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back