Benchmark HPA4 Headphone / Line Amplifier Impressions
Oct 30, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #511 of 1,410
Just received tracking info for the HPA4 and DAC3. Should hopefully be here within a week. THX 789 arrived already.
Would love to hear your impressions once you receive the HPA4. I’m selling my RME ADI-2 DAC in favor of the Matrix X-SABRE MQA DAC which should be here next week. Should be a match made in heaven. Next purchase flagship headphones!

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:02 PM Post #512 of 1,410
Would love to hear your impressions once you receive the HPA4. I’m selling my RME ADI-2 DAC in favor of the Matrix X-SABRE MQA DAC which should be here next week. Should be a match made in heaven. Next purchase flagship headphones!

I struggled long and hard trying to decide on what DACs and amps to get. The RME was on my list, as was the X-SABRE Pro. I shied away from RME because of how complicated the menu systems and options are. Not a bad thing, but I'm the kind of person who would sit there messing with every little thing instead of just listening to music. The Matrix stuff looks nice as well, but I figured if I'm gonna get the HPA4, I might as well try pairing it with its sister DAC since Benchmark has a 30-day trial period.

I really want to try the Matrix stuff though. Including the Element X.

Oct 30, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #513 of 1,410
I struggled long and hard trying to decide on what DACs and amps to get. The RME was on my list, as was the X-SABRE Pro. I shied away from RME because of how complicated the menu systems and options are. Not a bad thing, but I'm the kind of person who would sit there messing with every little thing instead of just listening to music. The Matrix stuff looks nice as well, but I figured if I'm gonna get the HPA4, I might as well try pairing it with its sister DAC since Benchmark has a 30-day trial period.

I can’t blame you the form factor and inherent synergy. Staying within the same brand makes sense. I would be more than happy with a Benchmark DAC too. I just wanted the flexibility to decode MQA as Tidal is my primary source. I’m curious how the form factor is going to work out...based on dimensions I’ll have to stack the HPA4 on top of the X-SABRE whereas it was the opposite with the ADI-2.

It’s funny that you aren’t a fan of the options/features on the RME since that’s primarily why most people purchase it :) I agree they could work on the implementation to make it a bit more user friendly! I’m certainly going to miss the graphic equalizer. Visualizing music is always a lot of fun.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #514 of 1,410
Oh and I agree it’s a tough decision between the Element X and the X-SABRE. I can’t justify an additional $1,000 when I own the HPA4 for a headphone out/streamer add-on. I have an SOtM tX-USBultra reclocker and I couldn’t utilize it any more with the all-in-one Element. Although now I’m going to have to purchase a separate streamer at some point...

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #515 of 1,410
Oh and I agree it’s a tough decision between the Element X and the X-SABRE. I can’t justify an additional $1,000 when I own the HPA4 for a headphone out/streamer add-on. I have an SOtM tX-USBultra reclocker and I couldn’t utilize it any more with the all-in-one Element. Although now I’m going to have to purchase a separate streamer at some point...

Oh it would've been an either/or thing for me. I would use the Element X as an all-in-one, not as a dedicated DAC into the HPA4.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #516 of 1,410
I can’t blame you the form factor and inherent synergy. Staying within the same brand makes sense. I would be more than happy with a Benchmark DAC too. I just wanted the flexibility to decode MQA as Tidal is my primary source. I’m curious how the form factor is going to work out...based on dimensions I’ll have to stack the HPA4 on top of the X-SABRE whereas it was the opposite with the ADI-2.

It’s funny that you aren’t a fan of the options/features on the RME since that’s primarily why most people purchase it :) I agree they could work on the implementation to make it a bit more user friendly! I’m certainly going to miss the graphic equalizer. Visualizing music is always a lot of fun.

FWIW, I gave a bunch of MQA tracks from TIDAL a trial run here about a year ago. I wasn't generally pleased, both for what I could hear (odd masterings), and around their general reason for existing.

Standard CD-quality resolution or fancier hi-res streaming sounds so good with the DAC3/HPA4 combination that I have no interest in MQA at all.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #517 of 1,410

I went down the same decision tree, and arrived at the same conclusion. The RME was a reluctant no, simply because of the single-ended output. I'm also not much of a tinkerer, so all those options would likely go unused. The Matrix Element X was tempting as an AiO, but I'm trying to move away from those.

The DAC3-B is a perfect companion to the HPA4, and with the remote, they function exactly like an all-in-one. Since I never stream and have no plans to use MQA, I think the only thing I'd upgrade to would be a DAC4.

I’d love to hear bimmer100 and phthora’s impressions between the 789 and HPA4. What headphones and/or equipment was tested, etc. I didn’t properly test them as I should’ve. Listened to the 789, packed it up to sell, and then either later that day or the next day hooked up the HPA4 with a playlist of 10 tracks. Couldn’t tell an immediate or pronounced difference. Now if owned Susvara’s or HE1000 it could’ve been a different story...

Let's see... I auditioned a 789 on two occasions, both times looking at the unit as a possible purchase. Once before purchasing my HPA4, once after. Balanced output for all headphones. The headphones I used were the ZMF Auteur and Atticus, LCD-X, HE560, and a few others I can't recall. I also used a few headphones that I don't own, such as the Verite and HD800.

My ultimate verdict was that the 789 was a good value and a capable amp. If I had any need for a second set-up, I would likely get a 789 and a Topping D70. But, I wasn't looking for a good value. I was trying to find my endgame, and the 789 didn't cut it compared to the Audio-gd 28.38, and if certainly didn't compared to the HPA4.

To start with, the Benchmark is miles ahead in terms of the ancillary, non-sound features. Benchmark customer service is stellar. They have two people on this thread who will answer questions about the product, one of whom is the director of engineering. That is absolutely invaluable. They also respond quickly to emails. In dealing with shoddy gear from Massdrop, my experience was far less smooth and made me hesitate to buy from them in the future. I've also immensely enjoyed reading about the design decisions in their Application Notes. Very helpful generally, but they also were a boon to understanding the price-tag on that amp. The HPA4 has a more robust, more attractive build, and the touchscreen is, surprisingly, quite useful. The 789 is solid, but I was less impressed by the important features of build quality like the sturdiness of the sockets, the volume know, the gain select switch, the feet. You get the idea. I really like the multiple in-built protections the HPA4 has to protect headphones and the amp from misuse and accident. I love the 5-year warranty. That's just bananas. I love the remote and how easy it is to mute or dim the volume as needed, plus the fact that the DAC3 functions seamlessly with it. I love the tiny footprint and the lack of vents for dust to get into. I actually really like the locking power cable, since I've had issued with power cables wiggling out of the socket. I like the multiple sets of analog inputs so I can experiment later with an R2R DAC. And, finally, I like that it has a line amplifier, so I can potentially use this baby as a preamp for speakers.

So, given all that, I think the HPA4 is just as good a value as the 789. Even if the two had the same sound quality (which they don't), those other advantages provide a ton of value that the 789 largely doesn't. When I look at the 789, I see all the corners they cut to get it down to $400. When I look at the HPA4, I see all the corners that they could have cut, but didn't, and a bunch of extra corners thrown in on top.

Now to sound. I don't think they sound very different, but the HPA4 does noticeably beat out the 789 in a few ways. First, as I mentioned, while both are very detailed, the HPA4 also has a weight to the sound that the 789 doesn't. The 789, comparatively, sounds a bit etched, brittle, thin, clean but lifeless, precise but without depth, smaller, less realism to the sound, but with a greater contrast that seems to clip off details artificially. The HPA4 has an immense amount of resolution and detail, down to the tiniest sounds, presents sound in a way that is extremely clean and clear, but also maintains that heft and richness to the sound that provides (what I think of as) a natural tone. In the low bass, especially, the amount control, texture, and power the HPA4 has is simply much better than the 789. Dynamics, likewise, are more intense and explosive on the HPA4, where they sound a bit relaxed on the 789. When I was researching the HPA4, I kept seeing warnings that you had to give it some time so your brain could adjust to the extreme lack of distortion and that you may initially be put off by the sound because of that. Something to that effect. When I heard the HPA4 for the first time, I kind of understood why they gave that warning. Music sounds so real and immediate and nuanced, it's a bit eerie. I can see how others might find it too weird at first. Personally, I was sold on the amp within 30 seconds. It's simply incredible. That was definitely not my first impression of the 789, or my second. It still falls into the category of "hmm... maybe." It's good, it's worth its price, but owning one means, for me, compromising on a few things that I'm not sure I want to give up.

I mentioned that headphones I used, but I'm only going to talk about a few. I always found the Auteur slow-ish, a bit relaxed, a bit rolled-off in the bass, and a touch too forward in the mids on previous gear. Listening to it on the 789, gave it a bit more oomph so it sounded less relaxed and a bit punchier in the dynamics, but that was about it. With the HPA4, I was shocked by how much of an improvement I heard over my previous amp. The sound signature didn't change, but the increased speed and control decreased my perception of the mids being too forward, the bass was much better controlled and less rolled-off, and the dynamic slam was drastically improved. This latter improvement is something I've also experienced on my LCD-2F. Out of all my headphones, the Auteur improved the most on the HPA4. When I listened to the Atticus and the HE560, I learned about another trait of the HPA4: you very much hear the sound signature as it is. So, the phat mid-bass of the Atticus stood out to me like it hasn't before, while the dip in the mids of the HE560 was more noticeable than on previous gear. In both cases, that was a detriment to the frequency response. However, the HPA4 also tends to make everything sound cleaner, clearer, better resolved, faster, more precise, and better imaged, so those improved technicalities still resulted in a net gain for my ears. Conversely, on the 789, the HE560 sounded more spiked in the treble, looser in the bass, and thinner in the mids. Those two were not a great pairing. The Atticus thinned out nicely on the 789 and purely from a FR POV, that was a better sound than the HPA4. So, ultimately, the 789 might make a better pairing subjectively and in terms of FR, but the HPA4 has a definite advantage when it comes to technical prowess and that weightier sound might be a better subjective pairing for many headphones anyway.

That's already rather long, but I'd be happy to answer any follow-up questions.

Oct 31, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #518 of 1,410
I went down the same decision tree, and arrived at the same conclusion. The RME was a reluctant no, simply because of the single-ended output. I'm also not much of a tinkerer, so all those options would likely go unused. The Matrix Element X was tempting as an AiO, but I'm trying to move away from those.

The DAC3-B is a perfect companion to the HPA4, and with the remote, they function exactly like an all-in-one. Since I never stream and have no plans to use MQA, I think the only thing I'd upgrade to would be a DAC4.

Let's see... I auditioned a 789 on two occasions, both times looking at the unit as a possible purchase. Once before purchasing my HPA4, once after. Balanced output for all headphones. The headphones I used were the ZMF Auteur and Atticus, LCD-X, HE560, and a few others I can't recall. I also used a few headphones that I don't own, such as the Verite and HD800.

My ultimate verdict was that the 789 was a good value and a capable amp. If I had any need for a second set-up, I would likely get a 789 and a Topping D70. But, I wasn't looking for a good value. I was trying to find my endgame, and the 789 didn't cut it compared to the Audio-gd 28.38, and if certainly didn't compared to the HPA4.

To start with, the Benchmark is miles ahead in terms of the ancillary, non-sound features. Benchmark customer service is stellar. They have two people on this thread who will answer questions about the product, one of whom is the director of engineering. That is absolutely invaluable. They also respond quickly to emails. In dealing with shoddy gear from Massdrop, my experience was far less smooth and made me hesitate to buy from them in the future. I've also immensely enjoyed reading about the design decisions in their Application Notes. Very helpful generally, but they also were a boon to understanding the price-tag on that amp. The HPA4 has a more robust, more attractive build, and the touchscreen is, surprisingly, quite useful. The 789 is solid, but I was less impressed by the important features of build quality like the sturdiness of the sockets, the volume know, the gain select switch, the feet. You get the idea. I really like the multiple in-built protections the HPA4 has to protect headphones and the amp from misuse and accident. I love the 5-year warranty. That's just bananas. I love the remote and how easy it is to mute or dim the volume as needed, plus the fact that the DAC3 functions seamlessly with it. I love the tiny footprint and the lack of vents for dust to get into. I actually really like the locking power cable, since I've had issued with power cables wiggling out of the socket. I like the multiple sets of analog inputs so I can experiment later with an R2R DAC. And, finally, I like that it has a line amplifier, so I can potentially use this baby as a preamp for speakers.

So, given all that, I think the HPA4 is just as good a value as the 789. Even if the two had the same sound quality (which they don't), those other advantages provide a ton of value that the 789 largely doesn't. When I look at the 789, I see all the corners they cut to get it down to $400. When I look at the HPA4, I see all the corners that they could have cut, but didn't, and a bunch of extra corners thrown in on top.

Now to sound. I don't think they sound very different, but the HPA4 does noticeably beat out the 789 in a few ways. First, as I mentioned, while both are very detailed, the HPA4 also has a weight to the sound that the 789 doesn't. The 789, comparatively, sounds a bit etched, brittle, thin, clean but lifeless, precise but without depth, smaller, less realism to the sound, but with a greater contrast that seems to clip off details artificially. The HPA4 has an immense amount of resolution and detail, down to the tiniest sounds, presents sound in a way that is extremely clean and clear, but also maintains that heft and richness to the sound that provides (what I think of as) a natural tone. In the low bass, especially, the amount control, texture, and power the HPA4 has is simply much better than the 789. Dynamics, likewise, are more intense and explosive on the HPA4, where they sound a bit relaxed on the 789. When I was researching the HPA4, I kept seeing warnings that you had to give it some time so your brain could adjust to the extreme lack of distortion and that you may initially be put off by the sound because of that. Something to that effect. When I heard the HPA4 for the first time, I kind of understood why they gave that warning. Music sounds so real and immediate and nuanced, it's a bit eerie. I can see how others might find it too weird at first. Personally, I was sold on the amp within 30 seconds. It's simply incredible. That was definitely not my first impression of the 789, or my second. It still falls into the category of "hmm... maybe." It's good, it's worth its price, but owning one means, for me, compromising on a few things that I'm not sure I want to give up.

I mentioned that headphones I used, but I'm only going to talk about a few. I always found the Auteur slow-ish, a bit relaxed, a bit rolled-off in the bass, and a touch too forward in the mids on previous gear. Listening to it on the 789, gave it a bit more oomph so it sounded less relaxed and a bit punchier in the dynamics, but that was about it. With the HPA4, I was shocked by how much of an improvement I heard over my previous amp. The sound signature didn't change, but the increased speed and control decreased my perception of the mids being too forward, the bass was much better controlled and less rolled-off, and the dynamic slam was drastically improved. This latter improvement is something I've also experienced on my LCD-2F. Out of all my headphones, the Auteur improved the most on the HPA4. When I listened to the Atticus and the HE560, I learned about another trait of the HPA4: you very much hear the sound signature as it is. So, the phat mid-bass of the Atticus stood out to me like it hasn't before, while the dip in the mids of the HE560 was more noticeable than on previous gear. In both cases, that was a detriment to the frequency response. However, the HPA4 also tends to make everything sound cleaner, clearer, better resolved, faster, more precise, and better imaged, so those improved technicalities still resulted in a net gain for my ears. Conversely, on the 789, the HE560 sounded more spiked in the treble, looser in the bass, and thinner in the mids. Those two were not a great pairing. The Atticus thinned out nicely on the 789 and purely from a FR POV, that was a better sound than the HPA4. So, ultimately, the 789 might make a better pairing subjectively and in terms of FR, but the HPA4 has a definite advantage when it comes to technical prowess and that weightier sound might be a better subjective pairing for many headphones anyway.

That's already rather long, but I'd be happy to answer any follow-up questions.
Thanks for the thorough comparison !
I'll also pitch in with hpa4 vs md789 next week.
I can assure that hpa4 drives my vintage cans with amazing authority & with enough headroom(no 10db boost applied in settings). The sound is very full & bodied. No harshness. There is an excellent control right throughout the frequency. These cans are right up there in TOTL league even after 40yrs of release.
Please see that the vintage cans have high impedance i.e. 600ohms & are quite insensitive ~88db(akg) & ~93db (senn).

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #519 of 1,410
I'll be making the same comparison next week. I'm also interested in the new THX 877 from Monoprice and the SMSL SP200 which also has THX and 6 watts of juice. Wish I could have them all here at the same time but timing won't work out.

Oct 31, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #520 of 1,410
I'll be making the same comparison next week. I'm also interested in the new THX 877 from Monoprice and the SMSL SP200 which also has THX and 6 watts of juice. Wish I could have them all here at the same time but timing won't work out.

Those are intriguing. Between the 789 and the HPA4, I definitely heard a family resemblance a bit stronger than other kinds of amps that are often grouped together (like class A amps, or discrete amps, or current-mode amps). At his point, it's impossible to tell if there is a house sound to the THX or if these particular two amps just sound similar. Either way, I hope THX amps continue to gain in popularity.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #521 of 1,410
Thanks for the review phthora. I’ll be honest I don’t own many pairs of headphones and it’s possible had I owned more I could/may have heard a difference. Possibly high impedance/planar/harder to drive headphones?

It seems like THX has sold their tech to Massdrop, Benchmark, Monoprice, and SMSL. I would suspect that list will continue growing over time. I’m excited to hear your impressions FourT6and2...

Irregardless of the difference the HPA4 is amazing and definitely “end-game” by most people’s standards. I don’t expect to make a headphone amp purchase for many years unless I want to take a dip back into tubes. My headphone preferences lean towards warm so I prefer a very resolving/analytical system which the Matrix/Benchmark combo fills perfectly.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #522 of 1,410
FWIW, I gave a bunch of MQA tracks from TIDAL a trial run here about a year ago. I wasn't generally pleased, both for what I could hear (odd masterings), and around their general reason for existing.

Standard CD-quality resolution or fancier hi-res streaming sounds so good with the DAC3/HPA4 combination that I have no interest in MQA at all.

You’re not the first person I’ve heard that isn’t a fan of MQA. I’ll be honest I’ve never heard it so I can’t make up my mind until then. Hopefully the trade over from the RME to the X-SABRE isn’t filled with regret...

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #523 of 1,410
When I was researching the HPA4, I kept seeing warnings that you had to give it some time so your brain could adjust to the extreme lack of distortion and that you may initially be put off by the sound because of that. Something to that effect. When I heard the HPA4 for the first time, I kind of understood why they gave that warning. Music sounds so real and immediate and nuanced, it's a bit eerie. I can see how others might find it too weird at first.

I had the same effect with the S-Audio Focus Dac/Amp. The device is so bereft of distortions that it seems dull at the first listen after many years of listening to devices that color the sound to meet the public demand. It took me half an hour to like it and another half a day to fall in love with it. The manufacturer warns that the user should be careful not to increase the volume too much as the lack of distortions plays a game with your brain, you do not understand that the volume is already very high until your ears start to ache as you do not hear the usual distortions when increasing the volume as on other devices.

That is why I ordered the Focus and am selling my THX 789 now. :)

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:44 PM Post #524 of 1,410
I had the same effect with the S-Audio Focus Dac/Amp. The device is so bereft of distortions that it seems dull at the first listen after many years of listening to devices that color the sound to meet the public demand. It took me half an hour to like it and another half a day to fall in love with it. The manufacturer warns that the user should be careful not to increase the volume too much as the lack of distortions plays a game with your brain, you do not understand that the volume is already very high until your ears start to ache as you do not hear the usual distortions when increasing the volume as on other devices.

That is why I ordered the Focus and am selling my THX 789 now. :)
I don't want to start a "distortion is good/bad" discussion but distortion is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm a relative noob but my tube amp sounds so good because of the 'distortion' that a tube amp imparts to the music, giving it that thick and lush sound.

Nov 6, 2019 at 2:22 PM Post #525 of 1,410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back